Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 6:24:38 PM EDT
I am in the market for a PPK/S for CC.  Any objective differences in the Interarms version and the new one made by S&W ??  (aside from the politics of S&W)
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:07:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been told by many Walther owners that the PPK/S & PPK are jamamatics. I've never owned one nor shot one so I can't personally say but these guys did convince me to not buy one.

I wasn't aware S&W is making the PPK/S since Walther has a US factory, IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:46:36 AM EDT
[#2]
PPK, PPK/S are some of the best looking semi-autos ever made IMHO but, as previously stated, they typically frequently jam on anything but FMJ rounds, which are relatively lousy stoppers and overpenetration liability risks in 45ACP, nevermind .380 or .32.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#3]
If you like the PPK style pistol, check out the Bersa Thunder .380.  For around $199, it's a GREAT little gun, that isn't prone to problems feeding like the PPK.

Despite it's low price, it's excellent quality for a little gun.  I bought mine right before Christmas.  Shot about 400 rounds through her so far, and she keeps going.  I think I had ONE FTE in all of that.  

It's still slender, being pretty much identical in size to the PPK.  The 7 round magazine keeps the rounds higher in relation to the chamber, so they are pushed in, instead of up, when feeding.  Has the decocker/safety, and it includes what the PPK should have, an external slide catch/release.

Accuracy is good.  Trigger has a little creep in both DA and SA, but is still pretty light in SA, and isn't unbearable in DA.  

MUCHO bang for the buck.  You could get two for what you could get a PPK or one of those Sig clones.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have been told by many Walther owners that the PPK/S & PPK are jamamatics. I've never owned one nor shot one so I can't personally say but these guys did convince me to not buy one.

I wasn't aware S&W is making the PPK/S since Walther has a US factory, IIRC.

That's true of the American made Walthers(MFG in Gadsden, Al by Ranger Manufacturing).  I work with several people that worked out there.  All the guns manufactured there had to be hand fit and reworks were very common.

The West German made ones, now that's another story.  I own one and it will digest anything.  El Dorado starfires even go through without a hic-up.  It's deadly accurate.  If you find one of those snatch it up if you can afford it.

There are a few gunsmiths out there that can take an American made one and make it work great.  But $$$ are involved.

I haven't seen one of the S&W models yet.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I have recently purchesed a S & W manufactured Walther PPK/S.  Beautifuly made firearm.  Will fire mixed hollow point and solid nose ammo.  Function is flawless, very accurate, a precesion piece of machinery.  I highly recommend this firearm.  Hold it firmly, and it stops firing only when out of ammunition.  Fast to draw, shoot, control.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Walther PPK in stainless and I love it..it's a great little gun. Mine is one of the INTERARMS made in Alexandria,Virginia. The new ones now produced by S&W are not as reliable as the earlier models. As I have been told by a couple dealers and three actual owners of the S&W model PPK's. Mine will shoot flawlessly with any and all ammo types, and I bought mine used.  I can think of 4 friends that are Texas Highway Patrol Troopers and they carry it for backup, all are the INTERARMS model. But as stated earlier I've heard nothing positive about the new S&W models now produced.  If you get a INTERARMS model PPK I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
you might also take a look at  the feg brand, model apk.  it is a hungarian made, milled clone of the ppk, in .380.  high, bright blued finish, never jams and more than adequately accurate.  mcole
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I also have a PPK/S made by Interarms.  From what I've been told many of the parts in this gun were machined in Germany and assembled here in the states with the remaining parts.  Mine is a tack driver at defensive distances (up to 40 or so ft) and hasn't jammed once in about 1000 rnds of use.  It does get mighty dirty though.  It's also a bit small for my hands and has chaffed the upper part of my hand web with the slide, so I hold it a little lower since.  Very fun gun to shoot and it attracts the ladies at the range! (-:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top