Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2007 12:26:40 PM EDT
I picked up a NIB unfired MK23 a little while back, and stripped it down and CLP'ed the daylights out of it.

Will this be ok for storage in the safe?  Its sitting in a foam padded case (standard HK case) at the bottom of the safe.  Should I put it somewhere else or do anything differently or will it be ok?

Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I picked up a NIB unfired MK23 a little while back, and stripped it down and CLP'ed the daylights out of it.

Will this be ok for storage in the safe?  Its sitting in a foam padded case (standard HK case) at the bottom of the safe.  Should I put it somewhere else or do anything differently or will it be ok?

Thanks,
Scott

IBQUIB (In Before QUIB)

according to him, the military tried a whole bunch of different stuff for protection against corrosion, and CLP was the best.

you shouldn't have any problems
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Foam cases are a poor choice for long-term storage, as the foam traps and holds moisture on the surface of the firearms IME.

My preference for long-term corrosion protection is Boeshield, as it's an excellent protectant, and doesn't move around, seep out of the firearm, drip, etc.  CLP is fine and would protect the firearm, but you'll probably find it all over the inside of your case after long-term storage.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Foam cases are a poor choice for long-term storage, as the foam traps and holds moisture on the surface of the firearms IME.

My preference for long-term corrosion protection is Boeshield, as it's an excellent protectant, and doesn't move around, seep out of the firearm, drip, etc.  CLP is fine and would protect the firearm, but you'll probably find it all over the inside of your case after long-term storage.

Cool.  I'll be taking it out every now and then to inspect and re-CLP, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a "bad" choice.  I'll see if I can track down some of the stuff you recommended, and find a better case to store it in.  Any ideas for something good for storage that won't damage the finish?  Good news is, my safe has a goldenrod in it, and the de-humidifier is running non-stop down there, so the humidity should never reach the point where damage could be done, but I'd rather not take a chance with a MK23.

Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#4]
BreakFree makes a product called "Collectors".  It's a CLP designed for along term storage...  up to 5 years if I'm not mistaken.

ETA:  

Link

Collector Liquid provides a protective coating against rust and corrosion on metal to metal finishes; no need to remove before use.

* Developed for military use to protect weapons for up to 5 years in storage.
   * Exceeds military requirements for rust and corrosion protection.
   * Unique 100% synthetic oil formulation with multiple high performance anti-rust and corrosion inhibitors.
   * Will not break down to form waxy residues under heat or with age. Contains no wax or mineral oil.
   * Protects up to five years. Lab test results show over 1,200 hours of rust and corrosion protection on mild steel panels when exposed to 100% humidity at 93 degrees with out developing even one micro of rust.
   * Does not have to be removed before firing; always "grab and go" combat ready condition.
   * Safe for use on all metals and finishes.
   * Ideal to protect gun collections, knives, swords, and sports equipment. Perfect for museums and police armories.

Breakfree makes some excellent products, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
BreakFree makes a product called "Collectors".  It's a CLP designed for along term storage...  up to 5 years if I'm not mistaken.

ETA:  

Link

Collector Liquid provides a protective coating against rust and corrosion on metal to metal finishes; no need to remove before use.

* Developed for military use to protect weapons for up to 5 years in storage.
   * Exceeds military requirements for rust and corrosion protection.
   * Unique 100% synthetic oil formulation with multiple high performance anti-rust and corrosion inhibitors.
   * Will not break down to form waxy residues under heat or with age. Contains no wax or mineral oil.
   * Protects up to five years. Lab test results show over 1,200 hours of rust and corrosion protection on mild steel panels when exposed to 100% humidity at 93 degrees with out developing even one micro of rust.
   * Does not have to be removed before firing; always "grab and go" combat ready condition.
   * Safe for use on all metals and finishes.
   * Ideal to protect gun collections, knives, swords, and sports equipment. Perfect for museums and police armories.

Breakfree makes some excellent products, in my opinion.

Hmmmm, that might be the ticket right there.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#6]
May I ask why you're chucking the gun in the safe and leaving it there instead of shooting it?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'll see if I can track down some of the stuff you recommended

boeshield.com/
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
May I ask why you're chucking the gun in the safe and leaving it there instead of shooting it?

Absolutely.

A few years back I purchased a MK23.  I bought it because it was one of those "had to have"/"fall in love at first sight" type deals.  I wanted one ever since I read about it and learned what it was.  It was the first firearm purchase I made that was more than "just another tool in the tool box".

I got it, took it out to the range, and a shell landed on it and put a little chip in the finish.  Since then I didn't really want to shoot it.  Liked it too much, didnt want to put any blemishes on it, since it was my still my "pride of the gunsafe" if you will.

So, the logical choice was to purchase a brand new one that hadnt been fired, CLP the hell out of it, keep it in perfect condition, throw it in the safe, and shoot the living SHIT out of the one I bought and shot before.

I haven't done this with any other firearm I've bought.  My 1911's, USP's and Glocks all get shot, thrown in a holster, and dragged through the dirt if need be.  The MK23 has special meaning to me, and I always wanted one in "mint" condition.  So, now I have one to look at, and one to join the ranks of the rest of my guns as "shooters".  I'm always one of the ones preaching that guns need to be shot, as it is their purpose, but the MK23, for me, is *the* gun.  

My other "excuse" was that if someday I have a son or daughter, it would make an awefully badass present for them.  I know I sure would have loved a NIB MK23 when I turned 21 .  

The possibility of having 2 kids is what is forcing me to keep my eyes out for a third

*God damn did I pick a really lousy handgun to love so much*
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]
The product is fine. The foam is not. Just remove it from the foam box and leave it on top of the plastic outer box cover. Or use a baggie as a barrier between whatever it is on. No magic potions required.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:32:51 AM EDT
[#11]
If you are not going to shoot it, use RIG . It's a light grease that can be wiped off much easier than say cosomoline. It's made for long term storage. There is also a RIG rag which makes it easy to get a thin coat on all parts. I think it's easier to use than oil. Use a bore swab for the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#12]
CLP is a compromise that the military had developed for simplicities sake----one product to "do it all"......Which it does for the type of use/environment they wanted it for.
But, how many "do it all" products are really good at doing EACH individual job they are designed for???

You are looking for ONE specific use...so why not get something designed for that ONE specific use?

That is why Break Free came up with products that are essentially just their CLP broke down to Cleaner (solvent), Lubricant/Preservative, and then Collectors---which is simply a very long term preservative.

Get the Collectors for your needs. The solvent in CLP is what causes it to "evaporate" from the weapon over time--at least in appearance.

I use CLP for general cleaning needs, and their Lubricant/Preservative for lubing and wiping down. For stubborn bore cleaning, I also use their Cleaner. Heavy wear areas (slide rails, bolts, etc) get Wilsons Ultimalube grease.
my 2 cents
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#13]
i've just started using EEZOX .   on my equipment

i was using clp on my xd and m&P.   after being left in the glove box both would rust.   so far nothing with eezox
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely.

A few years back I purchased a MK23.  I bought it because it was one of those "had to have"/"fall in love at first sight" type deals.  I wanted one ever since I read about it and learned what it was.  It was the first firearm purchase I made that was more than "just another tool in the tool box".

I got it, took it out to the range, and a shell landed on it and put a little chip in the finish.  Since then I didn't really want to shoot it.  Liked it too much, didnt want to put any blemishes on it, since it was my still my "pride of the gunsafe" if you will.

So, the logical choice was to purchase a brand new one that hadnt been fired, CLP the hell out of it, keep it in perfect condition, throw it in the safe, and shoot the living SHIT out of the one I bought and shot before.

I haven't done this with any other firearm I've bought.  My 1911's, USP's and Glocks all get shot, thrown in a holster, and dragged through the dirt if need be.  The MK23 has special meaning to me, and I always wanted one in "mint" condition.  So, now I have one to look at, and one to join the ranks of the rest of my guns as "shooters".  I'm always one of the ones preaching that guns need to be shot, as it is their purpose, but the MK23, for me, is *the* gun.  

My other "excuse" was that if someday I have a son or daughter, it would make an awefully badass present for them.  I know I sure would have loved a NIB MK23 when I turned 21 .  

The possibility of having 2 kids is what is forcing me to keep my eyes out for a third

Awesome!  I didn't know you had two.  I wish my dad would of bought me a bad ass handgun before I was born, and given it to me when I turned 21.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely.

Awesome!  I didn't know you had two.  I wish my dad would of bought me a bad ass handgun before I was born, and given it to me when I turned 21.

Haha yeah, my dad wasnt in to shooting until I got him into it about 7 years ago or so.  I'm only 22 so I figure I have a while before I have to worry about kids, but I its still a good excuse :-)
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you are not going to shoot it, use RIG . It's a light grease that can be wiped off much easier than say cosomoline. It's made for long term storage. There is also a RIG rag which makes it easy to get a thin coat on all parts. I think it's easier to use than oil. Use a bore swab for the barrel.

+1, my experiences with CLP, Rem-Oil, Mil Comm MC2500, TW25B oil, motor oil and a bunch of other shit I can't remember now is that they all evaporate even out of the insides of a gun in a dry safe in ~ 6 months or less.  Still, not a problem if the safe is dry, but any grease is a better solution for long-term storage for sure.  One shot of CLP or aerosol Rem-Oil will take the RIG off pretty easily as well, and then she'll be ready to go if needed.

And for God's sake, keep it out of the foam case.  Wrap it in a cotton t-shirt or something, if anything at all.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Is not the coating on a HK suposed to verry effective?

CLP will be fine if you do PM every 30 days.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:03:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't know about the lubes but don't leave it in the foam case without putting it in plastic or something.  At least that's my opinion.  My dad stores his guns in the foam cases and everytime he takes them out, they look like they're parched.  I think the foam sucks the lube right out of the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#19]
My Dad ruined the finish on a beautiful Browning rifle by keeping it in a foam case.

Personally I would put RIG or LP all over it, and then store it in a cloth Sack-Up.  I don't think keeping it oiled in a plastic bag is good idea for long-term storage.  I've seen way too much rust on things stored in this way, even when they are slathered in oil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top