Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 11:53:55 AM EDT
Now it's just a decision as to which handgun to buy. I only have one handgun right now. It's a Beretta 92FS and BTW, I love it. Never a jam, misfire, nothing has ever broken on it and I shoot the crap out of it. All kinds of ammo, cheap stuff good +P++ stuff, I run everything through it. It's a great gun. I'm just wanting more power and more energy on target, that's the reason for going to .45.

I shot a Wilson CQB at the range last fall and fell in love. That was a sweet weapon, just beautiful and so smooth, easy to shoot good with it.

I also shot a Kimber Pro CDP II and loved that. it had the Wilson feel and an awesome trigger but at a lower price than the Wilson, like less than half as much.

My friend has a Glock 21 and I love that too. It fits my hand very well and I am comfortable holding it. Shoots pretty good too. He tells me it has like 15K rounds through it and he's cleaned it like 4 times. It works great. Glock is by far the cheapest.

There is also another friend here on the board that has worked at an indoor range and swears that that is the ultimate torture test of a weapon. I have to agree with the reasoning. Many different users, different ammo, they hardly ever get cleaned, and THOUSANDS of rounds are fired through them monthly. He swears that the Glocks are by far the most reliable weapons in the rental case.

So here is the question, I like all three weapons, would obviously rather have the Wilson, just cuz it's a Wilson. Also Love the look and feel of the Kimber Pro CDP II but the Glock is a great gun too.

I want a shooter, an offensive/defensive NOT a carry weapon. Something that is the go to if somebody threatens me in my home.

Requirements are night sights, reliability, capacity, accuracy, durability.

KEEP IT TO YOURSELF IF YOUR SUGGESTION IS BUY ANOTHER KIND OF WEAPON OR ANOTHER CALIBERI'm getting one of the 3 guns listed above in .45 caliber and none other. Thank you for just telling me which one you would choose between the 3 I have listed.

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Go for the M1911, great firearms in any caliber.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the Kimber.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
3 votes.....1 for each gun! Great!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Out of those three, I'd get the Kimber.  I have one in my safe and it's a fine gun.  The one by my bed is am all-stainless Sig 220, but you don't want to hear that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
John, My friend who works at the gun range said that out of all the guns in the case the Sigs broke and jammed the most of ANY of them.

They ended up taking the Sigs out of the rental case. Got tired of fixing them.

So, uh, TAKE THAT!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm...   I have four Sigs, fired many thousand rounds with never a malfunction.  Same with my Kimber.  It's my Glock that jams.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Weird ain't it?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#9]
KIMBER

Got one and love it. I am a 1911 man and would go for the Wilson QCB as well(or maybe the KZ45) if I had that kind of cash laying around.

mzzlebrk
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#10]
My vote, not that it counts. is practical, at least to me.
Kimber...why?
It's all metal, familiar parts, safely used cock & locked and is cheaper than the Wilson, simple huh?
Pricewise, a Kimber in each hand beats a Wilson?
I prefer US made things too.
Not to degrade a Wilson, but sometimes two Chevys beat one Caddy, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#11]
cant go wrong w/ a Kimber.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Wilson...you only pay for quality once.

And you dont have to worry about that goofy ass firing pin safety locking up on you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#13]
stay away from plastic guns..
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd go for the Kimber.  I'm thinking about one myself.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I say go for the Glock
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I shot a Wilson CQB at the range last fall and fell in love.

I also shot a Kimber Pro CDP II and loved that.

My friend has a Glock 21 and I love that too.

Maybe not the answer you're looking for, but buy a Glock and a Kimber. You should still come in under the price of the Wilson. [:\]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I was actually thinking about 2 Kimbers, Eventually I do want two matching 1911's.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

And you dont have to worry about that goofy ass firing pin safety locking up on you.

I second the taxi cab driver's motion. Some Kimbers have problems out of the box if you read enough posts over on the 1911 forum and pistolsmith.com. There's a likely chance too that you'll want to send the gun off for $300-600 worth of work to get it the way you want.

I rather spend the money on a Wilson CQB. The only problem with that gun is the finish. The Armour-Tuff wears easily, and I would have the gun bead blasted and hard chromed (or NP3ed)instead.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#20]
If money is not a problem and you want premium professionalism at its best then get the Wilson.

If you're on a budget but quality minded go for the Kimber.

If you're a broke ass slob that never intends to clean his guns get the glock.

You are what you shoot

I shoot self tuned Colt's Myself
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#21]
What SGB said!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm kinda partial to Glocks because I like to spend my time shooting my guns, not cleaning them.

The longest a cleaning has taken me on my Glock was about 20 minutes.

I can't get the SLIDE clean on my Kimber in 20 FWIW.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:36:47 AM EDT
[#24]
You see you asked 10 people and got 15 different answers. Even got one from Laura Croft and her twin rig.

Bottom line if you gotta go with what you like. You seem to like them all.

If your hands/fingers can handle the fat Glock Grip then you can buy the Glock and multiple thousands of rounds of practice ammo for the price of the other guns.

If you think you might go into competition like IPSC or IDPA then go with the 1911 style Glocks don't compete very long against pistols more suited to target work.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Jethead, go with the HKimber, I mean the Kimber.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

My man Lumpy is 100% correct..... get the CQB!!

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#27]
in fantasy land I'd have the Wilson , in reality , the Kimber

t
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I ain't the biggest Glock fan who ever lived, but a G21 with a couple mags of Gold Dot is damn hard to argue with.  Hang a light on the rail and you are going to be well prepared.

FWIW, I have a pretty good pistol collection, and I love the 1911.  But it's the Glock 30 that sits in my nightstand.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I would go for the Glock but all three are fine firearms!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd go for the Wilson.  But then again, most of my guns are custom made.

The Kimber would be my second choice, in the all-steel version.  Keep in mind the cost to remove the stupid safety device on the new Kimbers - if that little dohickey breaks, as Murphy says it will, the gun locks up and becomes an expensive club.  Also factor in the cost to replace the MIM'ed parts with quality parts that won't fail when most needed (see Mr. Murphy above).  My gunsmith has a bin full of Kimber parts that have cracked, broken, or otherwise failed to perform as designed.  Caveat Emptor!!

As for the Glock - the only Tupperware in my house is in the kitchen.

There is a Rem 870 12ga AOW (14" bbl with speedfeed pistol grip and Surefire L72 laser sight) on the night stand.  Handguns are fine for concealed carry, but for home defense where I don't need to conceal anything - it's a 12ga or a carbine - less penetration of walls too.

Bill  
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Of the 3, I'd get the Wilson. But I could'nt afford it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Love Wilson pistols. As soon as I fired my first one, I ordered another.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Have you looked the Para-Ord pistols over yet?
The LDA is a sweet shooter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top