Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2003 10:21:28 AM EDT
Ruger is offering a $40 rebate on P series pistols...

www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/P-PromoPSeries.html

I'm taking advantage of this and figured some of you guys might like to know...
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#1]
lol..yeah i have a P85 and luv it..that rebate has been goin on for couple years that i can think of..unless its an off again, on again thing. but they are still good reliable firearms..
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I just picked up a P95 w/ manual safety for the wife.  She loves it...

It's not my Beretta, but it gets the job done and has been completely reliable.  The lighter weight smaller P95 with polymer frame is easier for her to handle.  After shooting it, I'm thinking about getting one in a .45 while the rebate is still going.

Rugers are great pistols for the price, especially with the rebate they're running.  The application said that it was only running until September.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Still, it is kind of a cheap pistol. I woulld rather have a Glock, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing cheap about Rugers. Inexpensive-yes. If you like plastic squirt guns, yeah...go with the Glock. I think I just heard a Ka-boom!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#5]
when its a $450 rebate then I will think about it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#6]
One of GT's members (Jeff_OTMG I think) talked to a Ruger rep at the Shot Show in Feb and was told that Ruger will never again make fullcaps for civilians. Here's a quote on Ruger from www.shotshownews.com

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ruger currently produces a 20 round Mini-14 magazine for law enforcement, even if it was no longer restricted, Ruger would not allow anything beyond the current 5 round magazine for us mere civilians. With concealed carry legislation sweeping the country and small autos from nearly every manufacture popping up to fill that need, Ruger is not interested tapping a market geared toward concealed carry self-defense. When it comes to self-defense, Ruger is only interested in the law enforcement community, and when it comes to our rights, they are carrying on the tradition of Bill Ruger in his letter to a Congress in March 1989 urging them to pass restrictive 15 round limits to handgun magazines. For the rest of us Ruger would have us call 911. I was hoping that the politics would die with the man, no such luck, he has left his company as his legacy and we all suffer as a result.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you guys still want to buy a Ruger because of a $40 rebate? I would be ashamed to own one. In fact, I had every intention on purchasing a P97 and an SP101 until I heard about this a few months ago. Stick to your guns people (pun intended), and tell Ruger where they can put their rebate.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#7]
If they were giving $400.00 rebates I still wouldn't waste my money on one. They call them the "P" series for "piss-poor".
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#8]

If they were giving $400.00 rebates I still wouldn't waste my money on one. They call them the "P" series for "piss-poor".

Judging from your comments in the S&W section, you're such a positive guy. Did it ever occur to you that no one really gives a good God-damn what you think?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Do you guys still want to buy a Ruger because of a $40 rebate? I would be ashamed to own one. In fact, I had every intention on purchasing a P97 and an SP101 until I heard about this a few months ago. Stick to your guns people (pun intended), and tell Ruger where they can put their rebate.

SFW?!!! Ruger has held that position since WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY before the 1994 Crime Bill. They never marketed high capacity Mini 14 magazines to the public, EVER. Get a clue. Do you refuse to do business with everyone who doesn't agree with you? Must be pretty damned lonely.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#10]
PC = NO SALE

They have lost all touch with reality on the magazine ban. The son is dead, dad is dead, does no one there have a clue or a set of balls to set the company in a new more competitive direction? Are all the employees doomed to follow the pre-94 mindset?

My money goes elsewhere. Ruger can kiss my ass.

Bob

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#11]

The son is dead, dad is dead, does no one there have a clue or a set of balls to set the company in a new more competitive direction?

More than one son. More misinformation.

Bottom line:

Ruger is a FOR PROFIT manufacturing concern.
Their goal is to MAKE MONEY.
They do other things besides make guns (like produce castings used in golf clubs, tools, sports equipment, etc.).
Better look DEEP if you want to perpetuate this silly-ass "boycott."
Ruger doesn't care about a few individuals. Get over yourselves.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#12]
More than one son. More misinformation.

Bottom line:

Ruger is a FOR PROFIT manufacturing concern.
Their goal is to MAKE MONEY.

No kidding?

They do other things besides make guns (like produce castings used in golf clubs, tools, sports equipment, etc.).

No kidding?

Better look DEEP if you want to perpetuate this silly-ass "boycott."

Boycott? I have made a personal decision based on my political beliefs. I follow no one. I think they f*cked gun owners a long time ago to make some money. I am f*cking back. It is MY decision.

Ruger doesn't care about a few individuals. Get over yourselves.

I think Ruger had better get over "themselves" as retail buying decisions are made on an INDIVIDUAL basis.

You got anything else? This is becoming boring.

Bob

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Boycott? I have made a personal decision based on my political beliefs. I follow no one. I think they f*cked gun owners a long time ago to make some money. I am f*cking back. It is MY decision

It must be a lonely existence for you, huh? Do you refuse to do business with everyone who disagrees with you? HINT: RUGER STOCK HOLDERS AREN'T LOSING SLEEP OVER YOUR DECISION.

I think Ruger had better get over "themselves" as retail buying decisions are made on an INDIVIDUAL basis.

I've offered plenty, my man. Not some juvenile, "I'M TAKING MY BALL AND GOING HOME!!" bullshit. You've bored me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I have always had a P-85, 85 MKII or 89.
Lucky me, I put a bunch of 15 round factory blister packs on the peg board years ago.
And also picked up some 20 rounders fron CDNN years ago, that work flawlessly and fit in the gray box too. (not USA,3K,ramline or promag)
My current P-89 outshoots my Beretta 92SF and Glock 19...so say what ya want about 'em, one will always be in my inventory.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#15]
It's going to take more than $40 to entice me to buy one of their centerfire autos.  They may be tough and reliable, the AK47 of handguns, but I'm an "AR man" myself.

I generally like most other Ruger products; their .22's are exceptional, they make good SA wheelguns, and there's even a place in my heart for the Mini-14, but their autos just don't do it for me.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#16]

I've offered plenty, my man. Not some juvenile, "I'M TAKING MY BALL AND GOING HOME!!" bullshit. You've bored me.

I didn't think so.

Bob

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#17]
they make a 10mm again (p97 started out as this I believe)

I am all over it

TXL
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#18]
(BIG CONDESCENDING, EXASPERATED SIGH FOR THE DUNCES IN THE HOUSE) Well, Bobbo, here's the folly in this "boycott" BS, AKA why your idea is STUPID and WON'T WORK:

Ruger is a publicly traded, investor-owned company with other subsidiaries and manufacturing concerns. There's a big world outside of firearms to which you seem oblivious (as in ignorance is bliss).

So you want to boycott Ruger over some perceived slight? That's cool. Ruger is also largely involved in producing hardware and frames for furniture. That's right, the chair where your butt's parked is probably made with a frame produced in a Ruger-owned and operated foundry. So I suppose you'll give up sitting in order to remain true to your "boycott," right?

Ruger foundries also produce outsourced items for automobile manufacturers, notably connecting rods and pistons for the "Big Three." Bicycles are cool, too. Got to be true to the "boycott."

Ruger also handles outsourcing of parts and assemblies for other firearms manufacturers. That new Remington shotgun you have your eye on just might have its action bars and other small parts produced by Ruger. You can live without that.

Ruger produces sports equipment like golf clubs and aluminum bats as well as kids' playground equipment. That's cool, too. Your kids can play with an old tire and a rope, who needs playground equipment? Except the machinery used to manufacture the tire and rope might contain parts produced by Ruger or its subsidiaries.

Thinking about buying some new handtools for the garage? Ruger foundries produce things for Craftsman, Snap-On, Mac, Kobalt, etc. You can probably get by with Vise Grips.

Ruger also licenses their designs and patents to other firearms manufacturers, but that shouldn't affect you 'cause you don't want a dog ugly P-Series. Just remember that when you're buying something with the transfer bar safety system since Ruger receives a royalty on each one sold. Now you're down to zip guns and muzzleloaders. WAY TO GO!!!

Remember that little part about Ruger being a publicly traded company? Hope your employer (assuming you are employed) doesn't have any stockmarket investments in RGR (their stock is actually on the rise). That would suck, because you'd want to quit your job if that were the case.

Your 401K (again, giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are employed) just might have one of its funds invested in RGR. Oh well, retirement isn't that important, THE BOYCOTT IS!!!!

If your insurance company underwriting your home and automobiles is like most, they have some stockmarket investments, too. That's okay, you can assume the liability if they happen to hold any RGR.

For your little boycott to even be remotely effective, you will have to commit to never purchase any manufactured consumer goods ever again and you'll have to convince others to do the same.  Good luck, pal!!

A boycott of S&W products worked for awhile, because they didn't do much aside from produce their own firearms. Not now. They're becoming as diverse as Ruger.

The fact of the matter, Bobbo, is that there is NO gun manufacturer with marketing and/or manufacturing operations here in the U.S. who is 100% pro-gun anymore. PERIOD. Their bottom line is to manufacture firearms and make money. If they choose to make an unpopular or controversial decision in order to keep making money, then so be it. Any manufacturer will sell your ass out in a heartbeat.

Ruger will not lose any sleep or money over your decision. The only deprivation is yours in not owning some otherwise good firearms, which is more or less the goal of the anti-gunners. Thanks for playing into their hands, Bobbo!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#19]
lol,wow what a debate...i like my P85 and 10/22..ruger makes reliabilty,,i do feel my p85 is "clunky" compared to my LesBaer .45,,but its night and day..the ruger will shot anything i put in it.and it is bout the only firearm i have that can use cheap magazines and function..id buy ruger again (if price is right) and that goes with any firearm..alot of ppl have said they wouldnt buy S&W cause of what they did a few years ago to gunshop owners and stuff..im not a big fan of S&W new stuff. but luv their tried and true .357/.38s.oh well..
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's my feeling about Ruger P Series pistols: They are stone cold reliable, durable, accurate and affordable. Ruger always has and continues to make guns for the common man. As such, I have a P-89, P-90 and a P97. I someday hope to add a P91 and a P95 to the collection as well. These guns may not be as pretty as others (although they look better than many I have seen), they may not sit in your hand as well as others and the trigger pull may not be as good as some guns, but they go bang every time and hit what you are shooting at, all for less money than the competition.

I have a few friends who turn down the Ruger because of some minor thing (not performance related) such as the way it looks. They then go out and buy a fancy $500, $600 or $1000 pistol because evidently they feel they must have such a gun to get anything good (or because they want to have something expensive to impress others with?). But I take pleasure in taking my $325 Ruger P-89 and beating their asses at the range! My point is, the Ruger will do the same things as the high-end toys, for a helluva lot less.

And this deal with boycotts is really starting to become laughable. It was Ruger, then it's Smith and Wesson, now people are wanting to boycott Glock! Pretty soon there won't be any companies left in which to buy from! So what do I do? I ignore such foolishness and buy from whomever builds what I want or need. The reason the gun companies are taking such stances is a reflection of the times. Every day some scumbag lawyer or mayor are trying to suck them dry with lawsuit after lawsuit. Anti-gun groups are demanding better safety features. They always have the news media on their back. So instead of taking out your frustrations on the gun companies, take them out on the ignorant politicians, the lawyers and the news media, as they are the ones who are responsible for all of this. The gun companies never supported such measures before all of this anti-gun crap started in the late 80's/early 90's and they wouldn't have without the increased pressures. They are trying to protect themselves and stay in business. Therefore they do what they can not to look evil in the eyes of their foes. It sucks, but that's how the modern world turns.

So buy whatever you want, for whatever reasons you choose, but know that the Ruger P-series pistols are great guns at a great value. But it's your money and spend it however you desire. And I'll do the same by buying more Rugers! Good day.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Still, it is kind of a cheap pistol. I woulld rather have a Glock, but to each his own.

LOL Combat_Jack. You are right in that they are not as expensive as Glocks, but I never had to send one of my Rugers back to the factory to have a defective frame replaced like I did on my E series Glock 22! I still have that Glock btw and like it. But I just mentioned this to illustrate that you can get a bad gun no matter what name is engraved on the side. But I must say I have owned many Rugers (still do) and have never had a problem with them. Like a previous poster said, they aren't "cheap", they are just a good value.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Judging from your comments in the S&W section, you're such a positive guy. Did it ever occur to you that no one really gives a good God-damn what you think?

This, coming from a God-damned OKIE?  That's rich, what are you supposed to be, some kind of hillbilly Einstien gun authority?  In your dreams, I've read your posts..

Get over yourself moron.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#23]

This, coming from a God-damned OKIE? That's rich, what are you supposed to be, some kind of hillbilly Einstien gun authority? In your dreams, I've read your posts..

Get over yourself moron.

As I recall, the poster who started this thread wanted to inform anyone who was interested that there was a rebate on the P-Series pistols. He didn't ask for anyone's opinion and he didn't ask for any of your half-witted comments.

So why again does anyone care what you think?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn boy, you can read the minds of people who post here, you must be the Okie Miss Cleo.

Hell, Jim, even a half-wit has got twice as much intellect as you.  Why is it you think anyone pays any attention to a blowhard like you?  Is it because you're "special"?

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

This, coming from a God-damned OKIE? That's rich, what are you supposed to be, some kind of hillbilly Einstien gun authority? In your dreams, I've read your posts..

Get over yourself moron.

As I recall, the poster who started this thread wanted to inform anyone who was interested that there was a rebate on the P-Series pistols. He didn't ask for anyone's opinion and he didn't ask for any of your half-witted comments.

So why again does anyone care what you think?

Jim, you are correct.
However, I wouldn't bother feeding the s...
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I donn't know why Ruger puts so much effort in trying to sell the P series. While it functions fine it is not a real contender in the auto pistol market due to it's chunky excess. It's kind of an unfinished project that was never meant to be released. I've got the feeling old Bill lost control of Ruger around this time. Ruger is long since the family business it once was. Almost went and picked up a new 97 series a couple of years ago when I saw the rebate but ended up buying another Beretta instead. It's sad because the P series could have been a real winner. Oh yeah, what is a forum? -> Here it is where one makes a post and gets assualted by an antagonistic phraseologist who spreads his own form of cyber truth. If he dun' like or know 'bout sumtin' he gonna stomp and scream like a 'lil girl. Hey Nate1, let us know what you got and how you like it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok, here goes...

It is a P95 in black, 9mm, polymer frame, and manual safety.  As stated above, it is for the wife.  I leave for Ft. Rucker, AL on Sun to start my flight training and she will follow a month later when she finishes college.  I wanted a pistol that she could handle easily.  My Beretta 92 is a little on the heavy side for my dainty wife.  She picked out the P95 while we were shopping for handguns.  She really wanted a baby eagle 9mm, but we couldn't find one locally and I didn't want to order one without her being able to handle it first.

She is able to control the Ruger far better than the Beretta.  The 92FS is a little on the heavy side for her and is frame is a little large for her hands.  I want to leave her with a handgun that she can easily control in my absence.

She does great with it compared to what she could do with my 92FS.  I don't like it as much as mine, but I can get the job done with it.  I'm 6'6" 225lbs.  The Rugers tend to be a little small for my big hands, the slide does not move as smoothly, and the trigger isn't as nice.  She likes it and does well with it, that is all that matters to me.  It is the pistol that we keep within reach, for I need the handgun out of the safe to be one that she can handle.  I can handle just about anything, but that doesn't matter if I am not the one holding weapon.

We have both fired it quite a bit and I am confident that she can handle it in my absence.  I'm hoping that the trigger and cycling will smooth out with use.  It also didn't like wolf ammunition.  The underpowerd wolf didn't have enough recoil to send the slide back far enough to eject the steel casings.  It ran well after switching to winchester target ammo.  The slide movement was still a little on the rough side, compared to my 92FS.  My accuracy suffers a little with the ruger (not enough to matter at engagement ranges within the home) as it is a little small for my hands.

Keep in mind that I am comparing a Beretta 92FS to a Ruger P95.  I don't think any of us really expect the ruger to be as nice a handgun.  Don't get me wrong, I think the Ruger P series are great handguns for the price, just don't expect a $300 pistol to be in the same category as a $500 pistols...

Even with all I have stated above, I still like the P series enough that I'm thinking of getting one in .45  I consider a handgun to be something that you use only when a rifle or shotgun is unavailable or impractical.  The P series are a little small for my hands, but I like the price...

My father inlaw also really liked my wife's P95.  I ended up getting him one as an early fathers day gift.  He loves it.  If my hands were a little smaller, I'm sure that I'd like the P series better.  My biggest complaint is that they don't fit my big hands all that well.

Well, this post is turning into a book.  Back to my original post: Ruger is offering a $40 rebate on all new P series pistols for those who are interested.  They are great pistols for the price (I gave $309 for my wife's P95).  With the $40 rebate that comes to $269.  To me that is a great price on a good, reliable handgun.

Edited because I'm tired and my grammer is lacking...
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:38:15 AM EDT
[#28]

It's sad because the P series could have been a real winner.

Well, based upon the Ruger P-Series sales, you certainly can't call it a loser either. While most police contracts get filled with Glocks, Berettas, Sigs, Smith and Wessons, etc, the Ruger gets it share of them as well. But where Ruger P Series pistols are really successful is with the average buyer on the civilian market. I would like to see the sales of Ruger P-Series pistols on the civilian market compared to other types. I would imagine the results would be pretty surprising. Again, the average user only wants a reliable weapon at a reasonable cost. Ruger is the only American company to release a pistol that is this reliable and robust for such a cost. It's only real competition comes from CZ and maker's of Hi-Power clones....but again, these are foreign companies. So in my mind the Ruger is a winner.

Now, this doesn't mean the Ruger is as good as a Sig-Sauer by any means. As cost goes up, you get better ergonomics, better trigger and in some cases better accuracy (usually that is). But I have still yet to find anything that will outperform the Ruger when it comes to reliability, so it gets the job done. A Cadillac will get you where you are going in style and in comfort. But a Chevy Lumina will work equally well, only with a few less creature comforts. It is up to the individual user as to whether or not these things are important enough to justify the extra cost. And in many cases it isn't judging by the number of Luminas and Rugers I see in use.

The Ruger certainly could use some improvements though, so we agree on that point. They could improve the trigger pull, make the grip area more comfortable and make the slide less thick. But in comparing my Glock 22 with my Ruger P-89, there isn't that much difference is size. They are nearly identical in length, the slides are about the same width (the Glock slightly less thick) and the Glock is actually much thicker in the grip. I hear few complaints about the Glock being too "chunky". Many of these problems have actually been addressed in the latest of the P-Series. My P-97 is much lighter than my P-90, is more compact and has a redesigned grip that feels much better in the hand. Of course different people will react in different ways to the guns. My father actually prefers the older designed P-89's and P-90's to the new ones.

While I like my Glock 22, Sig-Sauer P220 and 229, Colt Government Model, Smith and Wesson 5906 and my Smith and Wesson 686 wheelgun, I always have a place in my carry rotation for the Rugers. While they aren't and never will be the Rolls-Royce of auto pistols (that honor goes to the Sig P210 IMHO), they do get the job done and do it well while representing a good value. They are no more, no less. But a bad gun? Nope, not even close.

-Charging Handle  
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:45:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
[
Well, based upon the Ruger P-Series sales, you certainly can't call it a loser either. -Charging Handle  

I agree but I donn't think the P series has turned the profit it could have. Just as in Nate1's situation, I think most P's are sold as house and range weapons. Everyone that I personally know was sold ends up as a "great gun but not my carry". Yup, they can shoot very well and they have that Ruger built strength but just alittle more refinement can make them carry/duty weapons on the level with the rest of the pack. That's why I took alook at the synthetic framed series and while they are an improvement, it's just not yet there. A slimmer, better gripped all-metal framed pistol is what I'd like to see. Yup, they are a good value, but it wouldn't take much to make them a GREAT value. At $265 out the door, though, that's a hard deal to pass up!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:19:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I actually AGREE with a limited Ruger boycott. Ruger won't make high-cap mags.... OK... I won't buy any gun from Ruger that accepts high cap mags.

But that's not going to stop me from buying a Ruger revolver (in .45 Colt). My Vaquero in .45LC is one of my favorite handguns.  There is no way I would buy an INFERIOR revolver just because Ruger pisses me off with some stupid corporate policies.  Nor would it stop me from buying a Ruger shotgun or a bolt action rifle.  I just won't buy a Mini-14 or a handgun which would accept high caps.

To me it's a no brainer.  Why the hell would you buy a gun if the manufacturer INTENTIONALLY limited you to receive INFERIOR mags for it? Well I won't, that's for sure.  Either make what I want, or I will buy from someone who does.  That's just simple economics.  It's not even a political philosophy.

So no Ruger 9mms or Mini-14s for me.  I guess I could buy a Ruger in .45 ACP, but it seems cheesy when compared with a good 1911 or even a Para Ord or H&K.  Yeah those cost more, but hell its only money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top