Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2003 5:52:56 PM EDT
Which would you suggest for casual range use and maybe some IDPA/3 gun work down the road?

I'm drawn to the Taurus 92 or 99 because of a slightly lower price, cheaper ammo, available standard/high cap mags, and similarity to the M9 (I'm going into the military after I get out of school, so why not get familiar with the basic weapons? This is one of the reasons I have an AR (and yes I'm aware of some differences between the Taurus and Beretta, such as the safety placement)). Are adjustable sights worth anything on a pistol?

On the other hand, the 1911 has the advantages of more powerful ammo (it counts as a major power in competition), widely available parts and customizable options, and a historical attraction, i.e. I want to shoot one like I want to shoot a Garand, cause the design has BTDT back when my grandfathers were in the service.

Recoil is not an issue, I can handle my dad's .45 ACP Glock with no problems.

Which one would you suggest, and why?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the 1911. The Taurus does hold more rounds, but as the old saying goes "you can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight".

I don't like the M9, that pistol feels as big as a whale to me.

For target guns adjustable sights are a plus. For carry I prefer no-snag fixed sights.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]
BUMP

Come on, can any one else help me out?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the Rock Island. Read great things about them off the boards at www.1911forum.com

.45 ammo isnt THAT much more expensive.

You can get a Tarus PT9 for less than the $325-350 a GI spec Rock Island sells for?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#4]
this is my 1911.
there are many like it, but, this one is mine.

my advice:  get the 1911, keep it forever.  if one masters the 1911, he can shoot about anything.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Look at it this way:  which design has won more fights and bulleyes trophys?  Only one and it is not the taurus.  The 1911 is actually fairly easy to shot well in my limited experience with it, I should be able to learn more with my newly acquired and mint Norinco.  With my Glock, I really have to concentrate on breaking the trigger and not putting too much finger on it.  with my ruger .44 hammer fall is way too long and can result in poor grouping because I just can't hold it that well off hand do okay on a rest. The 1911 actually does work well, it is one of the reasons it is still around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top