Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2007 4:06:55 PM EDT
Hi-

I have a question about the rotating barrel lock-up of the PX4.  Is this type of system as durable/reliable as the modified browning tilting barrel system?

It seems like it would not be.  The system is entirely dependant on the little stud that rides in the cam groove.  It is a small piece, and if that breaks its all over.  Also, what if the cam groove gets clogged with debris?  The traditional tilting barrel system does not rely on such small parts and spaces to operate.

Now, all that is just speculation and I'm not stating it as fact, and was wondering hwo the two methods compare.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
For whatever reason, the rotating lock barrel system has not been wildly popular.
One reason is the tendency for the torque of the barrel throwing the gun off to the side.

It was used a bit in the early days in guns like the Steyr M1912, and is once again being used today in several guns.

The jury is still out on the newer iterations of it, but the Browning system seems to be the winner design, and I wonder if the rotating barrel is just an attempt to have something "new".
In any case, the jury IS still out on the new ones, but I haven't seen guns with rotating locking systems doing much in the market.
The get introduced, they get the usual rave reviews in the gun magazines, and they sink into the ocean of new guns without much of a trace.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if these guns are going to require a new design of silencer booster to make them cycle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The thing that turned me off this design was the blocky feeling of the thicker slide. I was all set to buy a .45acp Cougar when they came out but it felt like I was holding a brick or something................    

I too also question the reliability of the rotating barrel versus the tilting barrel.    
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#4]

One reason is the tendency for the torque of the barrel throwing the gun off to the side.

i'm not sure if it's reliable or durable, but the px4 does not torque the gun to the side. this is a myth.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Does any one know of an instance where the pistol broke because of the rotating barrel design?

I have owned two cougers and were both 100% reliable and accurate. The two I had were a .40 and a .45 and in both cases they were the most mild recoiling of that caliber that I have ever shot and wish I still had them both.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 5:11:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, a Browning locking system relies on a tiny pin that rides in a cam hanging off the bottom of the chamber. Or in the case of a 1911, a tiny link held in by two tiny pins.

They all have their weakest link - no pun intended.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

i'm not sure if it's reliable or durable, but the px4 does not torque the gun to the side. this is a myth.

+1

If rotating the barrel to unlock torques the gun, imagine what spinning the bullet from 0 RPM to over 100,000 RPM in a few milliseconds of travel down the gun barrel does to torque the gun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Some rotary lock pistols are noted for barrel torque.

The Steyr M1912 was famous for this, and some people complained that the ill-fated Colt All American 2000 torqued in the hand.

To be fair, a lot of this is user perception.

I've never seen any data that would indicate that a rotating lock pistol system is any more, or less durable than a Colt-Browning system.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If rotating the barrel to unlock torques the gun, imagine what spinning the bullet from 0 RPM to over 100,000 RPM in a few milliseconds of travel down the gun barrel does to torque the gun.

Must explain why the homies always hold their guns sideways, yo!    
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Must explain why the homies always hold their guns sideways, yo!    

Wrong! --- They hold them sideways and shit, cause dats da way they done come out of da box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top