Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2001 9:36:49 PM EDT
CDP or Pro Carry?  I've always wanted a 1911-type pistol, and I've narrowed it down to either the Kimber CDP or Pro Carry.  If I get the Pro Carry, I'll have enough from selling back my unused sick leave that I can get a Garand also.   So, is the CDP worth spending the extra money for and putting off the Garand for another few months?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:48:56 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll have to decide for yourself whether the night sights and meltdown treatment are worth the extra $. I thought they were--the CDP is a great gun!
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Pro-Carry and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, plus you get your Garand too!
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm really happy with my Pro Carry. I have done some work to it: front tritium sight and mag well, as well as low-pro grip plates. I replaced the springs with a set of Wolffs' after about 10K rounds.

It goes pretty much everywhere I go.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the meltdown treatment of the CDP is definitely worth it if you're going to carry it.  If it's just to have, get the Pro Carry and your Garand.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I wanted the CDP also but went with the ProCarry because of price. I am very happy with the ProCarry. I had a few feeding problems in the beginning but it shoots great now.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an Ultra Elite -- came out the year before the CDP series -- with a 3 inch barrel.  I love it.  I feel that a good carry gun needs (1) night sights (2) front grip stippling/serrations.  With the CDP you get these plus the meltdown treatment, plus it is just a damn fine looking pistol.  If you look at the Kimber custom shop price list to add night sights and the front grip serrations, you can see what a deal (relatively speaking) getting the CDP is.

Good luck and let us know how you decide.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got my new carry holster for my ProCarry and it got me thinking about the CDP. All of the places that the CDP is melted would be covered up by my choice of holster. So in my mind that kind of defeats the purpose of the melting. It looks cool but I didn't think it was worth $200+ more.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the Pro CDP and wait on the Garand.
That is what I did and have not regretted it.

BigDozer66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top