Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2006 12:12:20 PM EDT
I have always wanted a CCW but living in New Jersey I was never allowed to get one. I'm moving to Florida in July and the first thing I do when I get there is to pick up a CCW permit. I'm in the medical field and will be using it for self protection. The hospital where I'll be working at isn't the safest environment and I'll feel more comfortable with a CCW.

I currently have a Sig226R in 40 cal but would consider other pistols. I have handled Glocks, 1911s, SA XD but the 226 fits me best. The 45 cal pistols feel to big for my grip. Anyway, I think the Sig 226 fits me best. I will need a shoulder holster for my suit and maybe an ankel holster or something else when I'm in scrubs. The other pistol I'm thinking of getting is a Kahr in 9 or 40 since it would be easier to carry.  

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Edit:
I'm 6'1 and 225lbs
I need input on a quality and comfortable shoulder holster
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#1]
There are several factors you will need to take into consideration when you are selecting a sidearm for CCW. First off is climate....I would venture to say that Florida is going to be a bit warmer than NJ most of the year and a P226 is going to end up being too big to effectively conceal all the time. There are those folks who say they always carry a full size Colt Govt. model every day, all day, 24/7,  while wearing only shorts and a T-shirt......unfortunately, I am not one who was ever able to do that, so my BUG and "warm weather" sidearm is now a S&W 340PD. It is my everday, always there sidearm. There is also your physical size. Larger folks can hide larger guns easier than smaller framed folks. I consider myself pretty average size (6' & 209lbs) and I carry a Para Ordnance LDA .45 the majority or the time or my 340PD, depending on the weather or my clothing. The other thing you need to think about is the poicy of the place you work as it relates to CCW. If they are not supportive of it and you get caught carrying, you could lose your job, so I would select a pistol that absolutley no one would notice you carrying even when wearing your scrubs. Again, I think a P226 may be a bit large for this purpose. For me, I would take a close look at a 2" or 3" J-frame or even a small auto, say a NNA Arms Guardian or a Kel Tec PAT3. Any of those can be carried in a pocket holster or an ankle rig. For strictly ankle carry, you could also try a Walther PPK or a Sig P232. I think the Kahr is a great choice for all around carry. My experience has only been with the all steel frame version, which might get a bit heavy after 8 to 10+ hours of packing around. You might want to take a look at the poylmer frame models and see how you like them.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I can recommend the Alessi PCH, which I am sure is made for that gun.

Don't worry about a new gun, yours will work and you are familiar with it. And don't skimp on gear.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#3]
A "Belly Band" holster would work well in scrubs I would think.

GM
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Where will you be in FL?

The 226 is a rather large gun, but I was able to conceal one fairly effectively under just a T-shirt. That was a waist holster though, which is what I prefer. I think you will probably find (as most people I know have) that shoulder holsters are much nicer in the movies than in real life.

I have a Kahr P40, and have found that concealing it on the waist is really no easier than concealing my full-size 1911. The weight difference is noticeable, but the size difference is really not.

I don't want to start a caliber argument, but if you like the Sig design, you may be interested in a 220. The grip is thinner due to the single stack design, and (to me) the single stacks conceal MUCH better.

Edit: Wearing scrubs is one of the very few situations in which I would advocate ankle holsters and J-frame .38s as a primary weapon. Seems like very little else would work as well.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Where will you be in FL?

The 226 is a rather large gun, but I was able to conceal one fairly effectively under just a T-shirt. That was a waist holster though, which is what I prefer. I think you will probably find (as most people I know have) that shoulder holsters are much nicer in the movies than in real life.

I have a Kahr P40, and have found that concealing it on the waist is really no easier than concealing my full-size 1911. The weight difference is noticeable, but the size difference is really not.

I don't want to start a caliber argument, but if you like the Sig design, you may be interested in a 220. The grip is thinner due to the single stack design, and (to me) the single stacks conceal MUCH better.

Edit: Wearing scrubs is one of the very few situations in which I would advocate ankle holsters and J-frame .38s as a primary weapon. Seems like very little else would work as well.

I'm near Orlando and I'm thinking of a 9mm for an ankle gun but dont know which
I tried handling the Sig220 but didnt like the feel
all the 45s (XD, 1911, Sig, Glock) I handled I didnt like the way they felt
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The Kahr PM9 sounds like it would be a good ankle gun, if you're set on 9mm. The R9 could probably be an option, but it's $$$.

My brother uses the MK9 as a BUG, but it's heavy for it's size, especially compared with the polymer guns.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Ever considered an HK P2000 SK?

You can get it in DA/SA like a sig, smaller with 10 rds of 9mm goodness.  Then get an ankle rig.

Sig and HK are probably my two favorite handgun designers, both make high quality weapons.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#8]
if the SIG fits you, roll w/ the SIG

as to holsters, i'd recommend those by CompTac (CTAC), carried IWB on your strong side, which imo works the best for most positions and clothing types at many work environments

what do you do exactly in the medical field if you dont mind me asking...just to get a feel for what kinda attire and stuff you have to do while at work?

as to ankle holsters, if you go w/ one of em, i'd consider a GOOD one esp since the offbalance on the leg will get some use to, and wearing one for 12+ hrs a day can become a PITA....

ETA: shoulder holsters, while i dont like em for carry that much, Galco's Miami Classic is a pretty good one
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
if the SIG fits you, roll w/ the SIG

as to holsters, i'd recommend those by CompTac (CTAC), carried IWB on your strong side, which imo works the best for most positions and clothing types at many work environments

what do you do exactly in the medical field if you dont mind me asking...just to get a feel for what kinda attire and stuff you have to do while at work?

as to ankle holsters, if you go w/ one of em, i'd consider a GOOD one esp since the offbalance on the leg will get some use to, and wearing one for 12+ hrs a day can become a PITA....

ETA: shoulder holsters, while i dont like em for carry that much, Galco's Miami Classic is a pretty good one

Trauma critical care surgeon
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#10]
It's always nice and cold in OR suites, and the scrubs are baggy, so a belly band would be my pick if I were still working in the OR.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy my house in downtown Orlando and I'll give you a free gun.

2400 sq ft 1.5 miles from ORMC.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm 6 foot and 180 and carry a Sig 229 in an Uncle Mikes kydex Paddle. Works great and it really holds up. My rig is 8 years old and I carry almost every day.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:21:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Compact Baby Desert Eagle, in a Crossbreed holster.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/franksymptoms/CCW%20pics/crossbreed.jpg

In hot weather doesnt the material get sticky, especially against your skin?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm 6 foot and 180 and carry a Sig 229 in an Uncle Mikes kydex Paddle. Works great and it really holds up. My rig is 8 years old and I carry almost every day.
i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/SkagSig40/100_0332.jpg
i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/SkagSig40/100_0333.jpg
i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/SkagSig40/100_0336.jpg

will this work with belts that arent as thick
I will sometimes carry with a suit on
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Moving to the Lakeland area but thanks anyway. Plus the wife wants 4000+ sq ft. with a pool
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It's always nice and cold in OR suites, and the scrubs are baggy, so a belly band would be my pick if I were still working in the OR.

where can I  get one
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i56.photobucket.com/albums/g169/franksymptoms/CCW%20pics/crossbreed.jpg

In hot weather doesnt the material get sticky, especially against your skin?

Not at all! The 'crossbreed' name is because the backing is leather, while the  holster part is plastic (Kydex, I think).

All in all, it is pretty comfortable to wear.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I personally carry a Keltec P3AT because it is so small and light, and with a gun you can just drop in your pocket I am far more likely to bring it everwhere than one I have to holster up for. That being said your pistol is a bit big and might be difficult to completely conceal but that is a personal decision and best left to you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I personally carry a Keltec P3AT because it is so small and light, and with a gun you can just drop in your pocket I am far more likely to bring it everwhere than one I have to holster up for. That being said your pistol is a bit big and might be difficult to completely conceal but that is a personal decision and best left to you.

Maybe I'll go for a Sig 239 9mm
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Moving to the Lakeland area but thanks anyway. Plus the wife wants 4000+ sq ft. with a pool

Mine is better, I have a neighbor with a pool.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#22]
so far I'm looking at these two;

Black Hills shoulder holster

or

Uncle Mike's

Do you think the Uncle mikes will fit my Sig226R (40) with the Rail?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

where can I  get one

Galco and Desantis sell them.  Actually almost all major holster makers sell belly-band holsters.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#24]
CompTac CTAC holster.

I own two.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Have you considered any of the "CCW underclothing" options? Here is a link to one manufacturer of such garments.

There are several makers of such garments.

ETA for more makers/links:

5.11 concealed carry undershirt

SmartCarry

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/SkagSig40/100_0332.jpg
i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/SkagSig40/100_0333.jpg
i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/SkagSig40/100_0336.jpg

will this work with belts that arent as thick
I will sometimes carry with a suit on

Yes. It will even work without a belt. Paddle holsters are the best for fast on and off and by far the most comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:54:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Sig P229 in .357 Sig on a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 holster. I don't CCW that often (because I carry my G21 in the car at all times), but when I do, I carry a 1911 Govt. Model on a Bianchi SOB holster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top