Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 7:53:25 PM EDT
does anyone use a compensated gun while carrying?  i have a chance to trade one of my rifles for a 1911 compact compensated, and was wondering if anyone cares to share knowledge and opinions on the subject.  thanks!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Comps are for race guns only, IMO. Too damn loud and too much flash for CCW.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]

also it is possible to get powder in your face, firing from a retention position.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
like the others have said. Compensated pistols should only be used in competition.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
like the others have said. Compensated pistols should only be used in competition.

Bullhockey!!

I carry a 21C without reservation, and it's the same gun I compete with. What's the purpose of IDPA if you don't shoot what you carry? The flash thing is a non-starter IMO. Most gunfights are over by the second or third shot anyway and what night vision you may have had at the start disappeared on the first shot, comped or not. As for shooting from the "retention" position, if you allow your situational awareness to deteriorate to the point where that is necessary, well..... As for loud, who cares in a life or death situation? Are you really going to stop the encounter to put in earplugs?

Before you go off on me about this, I've been there, done that, still carrying 3 slugs in my body from the encounter. I compete with guys who are former Spec Ops, Rangers, Seals, ets, and SWAT, HRT types. To a man, they have no problem with any comped gun. The universal opinion is be able to shoot what you intend on carrying and it be absolutely reliable, not "mostly", comped or not. Some carry comped, some don't, it really boils down to personal preference. The key again is familiarity with what you plan on carrying.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#5]
post the xray showing the three your carrying
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmm.  Not having been in a gunfight, I won't carry a compensated gun for concealed carry purposes, personally.  Situational awareness aside, you can't always avoid getting in close with a person, at which point you need to fire from retention.  I don't like the idea of powder, lead, copper, or whatever else those compensators might spit out flying at high speed into my eye.  I nearly lost my eyesight once from a chemical accident, and it scared the crap out of me.  I'm not doing it again for a little less flip in a gunfight.  That's just my decision, and I won't ever knock someone else for making a different decision than mine.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#7]
21C is not legal for IDPA the 21 is but not the C. Now in IPSC the C are legeal in open class only.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullhockey!!

I carry a 21C without reservation, and it's the same gun I compete with. What's the purpose of IDPA if you don't shoot what you carry? The flash thing is a non-starter IMO. Most gunfights are over by the second or third shot anyway and what night vision you may have had at the start disappeared on the first shot, comped or not. As for shooting from the "retention" position, if you allow your situational awareness to deteriorate to the point where that is necessary, well..... As for loud, who cares in a life or death situation? Are you really going to stop the encounter to put in earplugs?

Before you go off on me about this, I've been there, done that, still carrying 3 slugs in my body from the encounter. I compete with guys who are former Spec Ops, Rangers, Seals, ets, and SWAT, HRT types. To a man, they have no problem with any comped gun. The universal opinion is be able to shoot what you intend on carrying and it be absolutely reliable, not "mostly", comped or not. Some carry comped, some don't, it really boils down to personal preference. The key again is familiarity with what you plan on carrying.

If you look at my post carefully, you will see the word "should". The original topic asked for opinions. Being someone who has shot compensated pistols I personally do not care for things flying in my eyes or in that direction.

The recoil on a .45 is more of a shove instead of a snap like a .40 or .357 sig would produce. Being that the weapon is also a compact model it will be more difficult for follow-up shots anyways.  Perhaps if the handgun was a 5-6" 1911 setup for IPSC things would be different.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top