Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 9:14:04 PM EDT
I am a lot more consistant while just point shooting my 1911 especially during rapid fire.  I've always had a good hand eye when it came to shooting and can present my firearm and usually be right on target.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#1]
When you're aiming you're probably overthinking the process.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Its natural. It means you've got your anatomy properly arranged. This is a key component of the newer thinking on combat shooting as taught in Rob Pincus' Combat Focus Technique at Valhalla.

If you've got everything aligned...basically, you shouldn't need your sights.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:32:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You are probably old enough to need glasses to improve your sight picture but don't want to admit it.

I had a pair of shooting glasses made, dominant eye set for arms length focus, non dominant eye set for long range. Brain sees both images.

But I'd bet $1 he won't be wearing his shooting glasses when he NEEDS his handgun.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#5]
i'm 21 and I wear contacts every day.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You are probably old enough to need glasses to improve your sight picture but don't want to admit it.

I had a pair of shooting glasses made, dominant eye set for arms length focus, non dominant eye set for long range. Brain sees both images.

But I'd bet $1 he won't be wearing his shooting glasses when he NEEDS his handgun.

When competing they let him wear what ever eye protection he wants.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Go for longer range.
At 50 yards 'point shooting' wil probably miss the whole target.
Many bullseye shooters are better at rapid then slow.  They try to chase the wobble to much, but that is still not point shooting.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When competing they let him wear what ever eye protection he wants.

Err... yeah, good call.

I'm always thinking "when you NEED it", rather then competition/practicing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 on good for close range.  works with a carbine/rifle as well.  practice is key.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're every in a confrontation where you have to use your gun, you will not use your sights. Statistics speak for themselves. You won't use the sights; you won't even remember seeing them.

It's a method that works and is recieving a lot more attention these days then it did before. Don't let the old timers fool you; I participated in training where we showed SEAL's how to do it and they all came away stunned by how effective it can be. Sighted fire is not necessary but for high precision head-type shots at longer range. I can do unsighted fire head shots at 15-20 yards. A little practice and a good instructor.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Thell, I dunno about the studies, but some bad motherfuckers (with probably dozens of kills each) told me that when they didn't use the sights they missed, and when they used them they hit. Good enough for me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you're every in a confrontation where you have to use your gun, you will not use your sights. Statistics speak for themselves. You won't use the sights; you won't even remember seeing them.

It's a method that works and is recieving a lot more attention these days then it did before. Don't let the old timers fool you; I participated in training where we showed SEAL's how to do it and they all came away stunned by how effective it can be. Sighted fire is not necessary but for high precision head-type shots at longer range. I can do unsighted fire head shots at 15-20 yards. A little practice and a good instructor.

i read about a study that was conducted where they had a group go through a shoot house under pressure.  After the exercise they asked the shooters to draw their sight picture down and those who did it correctly were allowed to leave.  

Then the instructors asked the ones left to do it again to make sure.  Some got it correct and were allowed to leave.  They finally told those left behind that there were no sights at all.  What they had done was swap out their firearms upon entering, they asked them to present the weapon and they did a swap and reholstered the new weapon.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Point shooting might work if you practice it a lot.

Aiming always works.

Aiming doesn't work with bad fundamentals.

Matter of fact, that's probably why 70% of new or untrained shooters do so well using instinctive methods verses correct aim....because it cancels out horrible form to a degree.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Note that Robbie Leatham point shoots...wait, nevermind.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

He'll point shoot the close ones, I guarantee. He just won't admit it. You think he actually has a sight picture on that 2nd shot?

I'm not arguing, just pointing that out.

It works... just don't call it "point shooting" as that's apparently a bad word...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He'll point shoot the close ones, I guarantee. He just won't admit it. You think he actually has a sight picture on that 2nd shot?

It works... just don't call it "point shooting" as that's apparently a bad word...

When firing a hammer, you don't have a sight picture. You did before the first shot though, so its not the same as "instinctive fire."

I'll have my brother ask him how he does it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#18]
This just in... Robbie admits that is misses are ALL from short range point shooting.

If you want to ask him, Drillmasters meets one Sunday a month, and only costs 10 dollars.

BTW, position shooting is all cool until someone loses an arm, gets ASP'ed or club or has to shoot from a car.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When firing a hammer, you don't have a sight picture. You did before the first shot though, so its not the same as "instinctive fire."

I'll have my brother ask him how he does it.

It's the same principle just taken one step further.

Well, whatever works for you. I do just fine with "point shooting" <shudder>; which is NOT the same as "position shooting" I can "point shoot" with either hand from any position.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top