User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 6:28:59 PM EDT
Is this a good, reliable gun?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Kind of ugly, trigger leaves a lot to be desired - But it is built like a tank, will go bang every time, and is quite accurate.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes.

Kind of ugly, trigger leaves a lot to be desired - But it is built like a tank, will go bang every time, and is quite accurate.

That sums it up pretty good, the same could be said for most all of Rugers pistols and revolvers.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes.

That sums it up pretty good, the same could be said for most all of Rugers pistols and revolvers.

Yep. The trigger and overall ergonomics suck but they are tough and reliable. They are also cheap. I often see them used for around $225.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had one since 1993 and have thousands of rounds down the tube.  Never a FTF or FTE.  Mine was less than $300 new and it is still one of my favorite handguns.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag!
I just bought this gun today! A P95DC in 9mm. I think it fits my hands well and is no bigger then my SIG 229 for the most part.

QUESTION:
I noticed that the barrel has a tiny bit of play when the gun is locked up in battery. I looked at other Rugers at the store and all seemed to have this to an extent. Is this normal for Rugers? My SIG's have no play and lock up tight.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:33:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Tag!
I just bought this gun today! A P95DC in 9mm. I think it fits my hands well and is no bigger then my SIG 229 for the most part.

QUESTION:
I noticed that the barrel has a tiny bit of play when the gun is locked up in battery. I looked at other Rugers at the store and all seemed to have this to an extent. Is this normal for Rugers? My SIG's have no play and lock up tight.

I checked mine when I read your post.  It has a little play so I'm sure this is normal.  You got a great pistol.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tag!

QUESTION:

I checked mine when I read your post.  It has a little play so I'm sure this is normal.  You got a great pistol.

Does yours move on the barrel hood at the ejection port? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
No, it does not move there.  The only way I could get mine to move was to put my finger on the end of the barrel and then I could move up and down.  It takes a lot of force but it will move if you try hard enough.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks. Mine will move a bit at the ejection port/barrel hood. It takes some force too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Ruger P. Low cost (Buy lots of ammo w savings). Reliable. Ugly. Loved by owners. Hated by non owners. Backed by Ruger customer service and reliability.

The A-10 warthog of handguns. No pilot wants it. Once they fly it you cant pry them away. They always come home no matter how many shots they take.

My buddy loves his P89.  Shooting his makes me consider a P95.  Might pickup one?   Will definitely own one P eventually.  Wish I had bought the P instead of the Glock 23 all those years ago.  Would probably still have it.  Sold the Glock 23.

Correction.  Just bought a P95PR w. 2 15s.  Now I need a tactical Light and a holster.  I don't like it in the one I have except for cross draw.  It fits my S&W 4013 better anyway.

I wanted to get it from my local dealer, but he could not get one for anywhere near what I got this one for.  *shrug*  Sorry Gary.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#11]
kcmojo that is actually a pretty good way of putting it.  

my p95 has a little play in it but it is more accurate than i am.  and you can get 30 round mags for it.  that is always a plus in my book.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ruger P. Low cost (Buy lots of ammo w savings). Reliable. Ugly. Loved by owners. Hated by non owners. Backed by Ruger customer service and reliability.

The A-10 warthog of handguns. No pilot wants it. Once they fly it you cant pry them away. They always come home no matter how many shots they take.

My buddy loves his P89.  Shooting his makes me consider a P95.  Might pickup one?   Will definately own one P eventually.  Wish I had bought the P instead of the Glock 23 all those years ago.  Would probably still have it.  Sold the Glock 23.

+1, that puts it well.
I had my old P94 for almost 13 years and it was one workhorse of a pistol. Very reliable, durable as hell, as I dropped it too many times for my taste, and accurate too. I only sold it because a good buddy needed a good pistol.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I have three 9mms. a Beretta, a Glock, and a Ruger P89.

The Ruger is ugly, rattles, and the trigger is not great.  But it has fired thousands of rounds and been abused like a rented mule, and it has never failed me.
I will never get rid of it.  Ruger handguns are good where it counts.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
great 9mm beater gun for the price...a little loose, not the best trigger, but it runs good (i dont have one, but my friend does)

i do have a question though: do you have to pull the trigger while disassembling a P95?  if you dont, will you end up bending the ejector
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
great 9mm beater gun for the price...a little loose, not the best trigger, but it runs good (i dont have one, but my friend does)

i do have a question though: do you have to pull the trigger while disassembling a P95?  if you dont, will you end up bending the ejector

Most of the P series have a small plate at the top of the frame that is accessible through the ejection port while the slide is locked open.  This plate must be pushed forward/down before the slide can be removed.  I believe the ejector is an integral par of this plate.  I say most because i haven't looked at the P95 lately.  

So no, the trigger doesn't have to be pulled to disassemble a Ruger.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of the P series have a small plate at the top of the frame that is accessible through the ejection port while the slide is locked open.  This plate must be pushed forward/down before the slide can be removed.  I believe the ejector is an integral par of this plate.  I say most because i haven't looked at the P95 lately.  

thats what i thought....my friend had some wierd idea that it did (just like the 22/45s trigger needs to be pulled while disassembly)--which i thought retarded for a self-defence type gun
thanks watertower
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is correct.  I just disassembled my new P95PR for the first time.
Lock Slide Open.
Push Down Ejector till it locks.
Slide forward till hash marks line up.
Pop out  Slide Stop.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lock Slide Open.
Pop out  Slide Stop.

i28.photobucket.com/albums/c228/phaid/IMG_5289.jpg

Oh cool, they put rails on them now.

Are those 10 round mags?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#19]
The 95s come with and without rails.

I like the new dimpled plastic versus the older smooth polished too.  No rattles.  She is tight right now.  Wonder how it will be in 300-400 rounds?  A little looser in the P series may be why they feed so reliably.

Mags:  No they are 15s.  Damn glad too.    Now I only need to buy 2 not 4.

Can't  wait to take it to the range.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I know some people say they are ugly but I think they have always been good looking pistols.  I like your blued with the rail.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lock Slide Open.
Pop out  Slide Stop.

i28.photobucket.com/albums/c228/phaid/IMG_5289.jpg

KCMojo,
Would you do me a favor and grab your barrel hood right at the ejection port and see if it moves side to side at all? Mine does a tiny bit and makes a click noise when the barrel comes in contact with the slide. It takes some force to do this. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
KCMojo,
Would you do me a favor and grab your barrel hood right at the ejection port and see if it moves side to side at all? Mine does a tiny bit and makes a click noise when the barrel comes in contact with the slide. It takes some force to do this. Thanks!

My first impression was no.  Then as I was doing it I reread and saw "It takes some force to do this."

More force.  Yes it does.  I would not quite call it a click.  Just a muffled tap as they contact and only on the left movement (Tomato Tamato).  Silent when it moves to the right.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I know some people say they are ugly but I think they have always been good looking pistols.  I like your blued with the rail.

Thanks.  I like it too.

you are right ugly may be too strong a word, but sleek or sexy they aren't.  But that was not what I was looking for.

Reliable as a bank vault.
American made.
9mm (cheaper to shoot than my .40)
Poly frame
Light Rail
Slide mounted manual safety decocker.  (Yes some people want this.)
Double/Single Action.  (Yes some people want this.)
Black/Blued (I have a thing for black guns.)
Double stack (High capacity).
Economical.
Ambi mag release (Sometimes I use my right middle finger on a Ruger P).
Reliable Cust Serv if anything goes wrong.

Hmmm any way to get a Manganese Phosphate finish on the slide like my Bushy?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
KCMojo,

My first impression was no.  Then as I was doing it I reread and saw "It takes some force to do this."

More force.  Yes it does.  I would not quite call it a click.  Just a muffled tap as they contact and only on the left movement.  Silent when it moves to the right.

Thanks for the quick answer! You described it better as a muffled tap. Sounds like this is normal. I'm going to fire mine P95 for the 1st time this week as soon as this dam wind stops! I'll post pictures of mine soon! Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Thanks for the quick answer! You described it better as a muffled tap. Sounds like this is normal. I'm going to fire mine P95 for the 1st time this week as soon as this dam wind stops! I'll post pictures of mine soon! Thanks!

Yah high winds here too.  Went to the range Sunday.  Shooting straingt into the wind.  Everyone was seeing about a 1" drop at 100 yards.  Remided me of high plains breeze when I grew up out there.

You gona do a full break in?  1 shot clean, 5 times.  5 shots clean, 5 times etc?  What is your method?

Looking at a holster?  What holser you looking at?

Tactical Light?   I was looking at a Z5
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yah high winds here too.  Went to the range Sunday.  Shooting straingt into the wind.  Everyone was seeing about a 1" drop at 100 yards.  Remided me of high plains breeze when I grew up out there.

You gona do a full break in?  1 shot clean, 5 times.  5 shots clean, 5 times etc?  What is your method?

Looking at a holster?  What holser you looking at?

Tactical Light?   I was looking at a Z5
www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/LIGHT-127.jpg

I usually clean the bore 100% before 1st shoot with a new gun then shoot a full mag, clean 3 patches with solvent then dry patch and repeet 3 times and call it good. I did this with my SIG barrles and they group 1 inch or less at 10 yards.
I like paddle holsters of Kydex....I'll probibly buy an Uncle Mikes for CCW.
Mine is the plane p95 with no rail so that is out for me!

I hope this Ruger runs 100%! The last several hand guns I bought had to go back to the factory for various problems. My SIG 229ST, Beretta Neos, XD40 and my Vaquero all had to go back so I'm due for a gun that is 100% out of the box and I think this cheep P95 is the one......I have a good feeling about this one!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:14:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The 95s come with and without rails.

I like the new dimpled plastic versus the older smooth polished too.  No rattles.  She is tight right now.  Wonder how it will be in 300-400 rounds?  A little looser in the P series may be why they feed so reliably.

Mags:  No they are 15s.  Damn glad too.    Now I only need to buy 2 not 4.

Can't  wait to take it to the range.

depending on your state, they ship with either 10 or 15 round mags.  and the smooth grip still comes with the models w/out a rail.  if you get the rail then you get the stippled grip.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the good info.

CRC
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:38:49 AM EDT
[#29]
P95 Range Report:
Broke in the barrel yesterday.  200 rounds no FTF.  It is nice.  I do like it better than the P89.
Old Mike holster fits it perfectly.  Added Hogue handball afterwards.
Checked out some tac lights.  Springfield XD too small switch too far forward, hard to use.  Glock looks prego and not as strong as the M3.  M3 fits well.  Nice function and size balance.  Good dazzle effect to retina.  In daylight had blue dot on retina for 2-3min afterwards.  Looks like the Z5 will not fit well.  Should stick awkwardly, too far forward
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:32:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Here is my P95!

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Sweet.  What is that a 10yard group?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Sweet.  What is that a 10yard group?

Yup....but from a rest! See my thread on my range report.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:49:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Those are some good looking P95s.  Here is a pic of mine.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#34]
On mine I noticed the ambi mag release is kinda difficult to reach from either side. Too far for my short thumb on the left side and too close for my middle finger on the right. Anyone else run into this? Do those hogue grips help at all?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#35]
i thought the hogue grip made the grip too large for my little hands.  it also forced me to change my grip in a less than comfortable way.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Well I had no trouble with the release before.  Use my right middle finger sometimes.

For me the Hogue handball works well.  With the more tactile surface and finger swells, my long lean fingers have a better purchase on the gun.  I also liked it on my Glock 23.  So it works for me.

I also like this better than my old Glock so far.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top