Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 6:51:57 PM EDT
I have tried many different holsters and I can't find one that is comfortable.  I usually tuck my gun in my pants because it is more comfortable and conceals better.  Anyone else do this?  BTW, I haven’t tried that Clipdraw thing, has anyone used this before?  
-NorseBoy
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate them
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#2]
In Before The Milt Sparks Pimps
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a Threat Solutions UCR. The way it is designed allows it to be much more stable than most holsters but is extremely comfortable. It only adds 0.170" to the thickness of the gun so it feels about the same as having just the gun tucked inot your belt.

www.threatsolutions.com
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for TSC link
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have tried many different holsters and I can't find one that is comfortable.  I usually tuck my gun in my pants because it is more comfortable and conceals better.  Anyone else do this?  BTW, I haven’t tried that Clipdraw thing, has anyone used this before?  
-NorseBoy

you'll shoot your eye out junk off.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]
IMO for IWB carry you haven't lived until you have used a Comptac C.T.A.C. holster. Mexican carry is asking for trouble if you ask me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't hate holsters, but I carry Mexican most of the time. I'm not sure it's really a good idea, but I do it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:17:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I must like holsters... I've got a bunch!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:30:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I hate holsters because I have wasted a ton of money on them.  The only IWB holster I have found (and this is after a lot of expensive experience) is something called "The Answer" by Tucker Gunleather.  It doesn't win any prizes as far as looks and costs about $125 I think, but it is hands down the most comfortable holster I have ever used.  

I am going to have to give up on all those nice leather jobs by Sparks and Rosen and order another one.  It just can't be beat, even for that kind of money.

Mexican carry?  No thanks.  Just too risky and (I hate to say this) probably isn't consistant with a responsible and law-abiding persona you want to have if you have to use a gun and wind up in court, as you surely will.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I know what you mean about holsters. But the fact of the matter is they are needed. Yeah it is fine to tuck your gun in your pants, until anyhing happens. If you lean wrong, fall, jump, run, or pretty much anything els your gun can fall out. This can damage the gun, scare the hell out of everyone around you at the supermarket, and a long list of other bad things.

I have a little Bianchi leather holster that i wear to hold my Sig P239. It is very comfortable and also conceals well. This one goes inside my pants and has a nice thumbreak. Check out the Bianchi website and find a shop that will let you try different holsters out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you tried a good holster?

I have some experience with Mexican carry, and keeping the thing from falling down my pants is a full time proposition. Not that it can't be done, but I believe a holster is better.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have some experience with Mexican carry, and keeping the thing from falling down my pants is a full time proposition. Not that it can't be done, but I believe a holster is better.

Mexican carry works a lot better if you are wearing tight jeans. I would never try it in any other kind of pants.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have tried on many kinds of holsters, and I own two inexpensive holsters for my S&W J frame.  I always end up carrying it Mexican, or putting it in my pocket.  If I was carrying a full size 1911 I might get a holster.  But my .38 is small enough to carry w/o a one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mexican carry works a lot better if you are wearing tight jeans. I would never try it in any other kind of pants.

Yeah, I have noticed tighter pants are better for this.  I usually carry my Smith in my pocket.  If the particular pants or jacket that I am wearing are too tight for pocket carry, then I tighten my belt and carry Mexican.
BTW, I don't carry that much, just at work sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#15]
No. They hold my gun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I hate IWB holsters.  I'm also not crazy about cheap pancake holsters.  Now, a good Milt Sparks 55BN on the other hand, is a joy to carry.  I can use that with a full size 1911 all day and not notice it.  Its comfortable and easily accessible.  

I'm actually a little baffled at the preference people have for IWB.  With IWB, you still have to use a cover garment of some sort.  Either an untucked shirt or a vest or jacket are required to cover the thing.  If you're wearing a cover garment anyway, why not carry something comfortable like an OWB?  The same clothing that covers an IWB will cover a high ride OWB.

As to Mexican carry... you're asking for trouble.  Lots of it.  Your trouble will just give more ammo to those who oppose citizen CCW.  The chances for an ND are greatly increased, as are the chances of loosing control of your gun at inappropriate times.  Please... find a holster and use it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I hate IWB holsters.  I'm also not crazy about cheap pancake holsters.  Now, a good Milt Sparks 55BN on the other hand, is a joy to carry.  I can use that with a full size 1911 all day and not notice it.  Its comfortable and easily accessible.  

I'm actually a little baffled at the preference people have for IWB.  With IWB, you still have to use a cover garment of some sort.  Either an untucked shirt or a vest or jacket are required to cover the thing.  If you're wearing a cover garment anyway, why not carry something comfortable like an OWB?  The same clothing that covers an IWB will cover a high ride OWB.

As to Mexican carry... you're asking for trouble.  Lots of it.  Your trouble will just give more ammo to those who oppose citizen CCW.  The chances for an ND are greatly increased, as are the chances of loosing control of your gun at inappropriate times.  Please... find a holster and use it.

I think the biggest difference (IMO) for IWB vs OWB is exactly what you said... high ride.  An IWB rides lower, closer to the belt line, needs less of abent arm to grab and remove from the holster.

a high ride OWB is obviously higher (in order to stay above the bottom of the cover garment) versus a OWB at the same level as your typical IWB which would likely stick out below all but the longest of shirts for a medium to large fram pistol.

If not going for concealed, (LEO or an open carry area) OWB or drop leg is better as it puts the weapon lower allowing for better removal and draw.

I guess an OWB SOB holster would protrude downward the least, but there are several other issues with SOB holsters. Maybe a OWB SOB holster at 3:-- or 4L00?  Would that even work?

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I hate CHEAP holsters.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I think the biggest difference (IMO) for IWB vs OWB is exactly what you said... high ride.  An IWB rides lower, closer to the belt line, needs less of abent arm to grab and remove from the holster.

a high ride OWB is obviously higher (in order to stay above the bottom of the cover garment) versus a OWB at the same level as your typical IWB which would likely stick out below all but the longest of shirts for a medium to large fram pistol.

If not going for concealed, (LEO or an open carry area) OWB or drop leg is better as it puts the weapon lower allowing for better removal and draw.

I guess an OWB SOB holster would protrude downward the least, but there are several other issues with SOB holsters. Maybe a OWB SOB holster at 3:-- or 4L00?  Would that even work?

No Expert

A holster like the 55BN with the FBI cant, only goes a couple inches below the level of the belt with a 5" 1911.  It doesn't take a very long shirt to conceal that.  

Yes, the high ride does mean more arm movement for the draw, but the payoff is the comfort of wearing it.  OWB means weaing pants that actually fit you and a belt that is the correct size for your waste.  There is nothing poking at you except when you bend sideways.  The gun is at the 3:00 which pints less if you have to bent than an IWB in the 4:00 position.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No Expert

A holster like the 55BN with the FBI cant, only goes a couple inches below the level of the belt with a 5" 1911.  It doesn't take a very long shirt to conceal that.  

Yes, the high ride does mean more arm movement for the draw, but the payoff is the comfort of wearing it.  OWB means weaing pants that actually fit you and a belt that is the correct size for your waste.  There is nothing poking at you except when you bend sideways.  The gun is at the 3:00 which pints less if you have to bent than an IWB in the 4:00 position.

Good points, I hadn't thought about the FBI cant angle.

Comfort really does depend on the holster. My IWB I was using was a cheapo nylon padded one, and it was comprftable...a bit bulky (but then so am I) and I was able to conceal it well. My new one, a kydex fitted holster, is much thinner, WAY less bulky, but I have to position it differently due to the fact that I feel the gun itself ( or rather the shape of it and it's protrusions.) Now, with that said, The difference ion the belt is basically one hole for without gun vs with gun, and seeing as there are several holes in either direction..no biggie. Pants fit fine with or without gun...agian, there is a belt involved.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my junk... No mexican carry here.

What I hate about holsters is finding the one that works for your body type and carry preference. That can be an expensive learning experience.

IMO, the best thing to do is start out simple and buy a cheap IWB holster such as the Uncle Mikes IWB. You will soon learn what you do and don't like in a IWB holster - Even if it's just that you don't like IWB.

The reasons why I don't like that holster:
The clip is to easily removable - I want a secure fit and I want to know it.
My CCW slips out of it a little too easily - The fabric is good for the draw though.
The holster is extended to protect your side from coming in contact with the rear of the slide - This is a "One size fits all medium autos" type, and it doesn't work that well with my particular pistol.

The reason I do like that holster:
It's thin, comfortable and the angle is right for where I carry - Though IMO the pistol seats too low in it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Comp Tac C-TAC , the only answer to the IWB dilima ....  Youll be amazed at how comfortable it is.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Nope, I can tuck my shirt over the butt on an IWB.  I have no hope of concealing a pancake holster without a LONG jacket.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No Expert

Personally with my Milt SS2 and 1911 I use the same belt notch with or without carrying.  It's tighter until I start to move around.  Then I guess the leather stretches out and seats.  It's all just preference I guess.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I love my junk... No mexican carry here.

What I hate about holsters is finding the one that works for your body type and carry preference. That can be an expensive learning experience.

IMO, the best thing to do is start out simple and buy a cheap IWB holster such as the Uncle Mikes IWB. You will soon learn what you do and don't like in a IWB holster - Even if it's just that you don't like IWB.

The reasons why I don't like that holster:
The clip is to easily removable - I want a secure fit and I want to know it.
My CCW slips out of it a little too easily - The fabric is good for the draw though.
The holster is extended to protect your side from coming in contact with the rear of the slide - This is a "One size fits all medium autos" type, and it doesn't work that well with my particular pistol.

The reason I do like that holster:
It's thin, comfortable and the angle is right for where I carry - Though IMO the pistol seats too low in it.

Great post.  The cheap Uncle Mike's is what I use for my Glock and I find it works quite well.  With a heavier pistol that holster doesn't work well at all, but with a lighter pistol like a Glock it seems to be just about perfect.  Easy to draw from and adds very little to the overall thickness.  About as close to Mexican Carry as you can get.  I've tried the Uncle Mike's with a commander-sized 1911 and it did not work well at all -- the heavier gun kept trying to flop out.  But with the G19 it holds it tight and comfortably.  Plus that cheap nylon won't wear away the finish like leather or kydex will.

For my "real" holsters I choose Lou Alessi.  His stuff is by far the best IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I do too, but there is no way I am going to carry a Glock 19 "IP style" in my pants...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#28]
is it still mexican carry if you have the pistola at the 4 o'clock position on your belt?  you cant shoot off your junk and unless you have a big fat ass......well you get the idea.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#29]
YES!!  I have a shooting bag full and a little suitcase full.  I see one, it looks cool, I buy it, and next month I see another one that looks cooler.

Kinda like Imelda Marcos and her shoe collection.

P.S......The only clip style carrying device I ever used was on a Kel-Tec P32 and P3AT.  It looked cool, but I could never really feel secure while carrying with it.  I always felt kinda scared that I would drop the gun although I never did.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
is it still mexican carry if you have the pistola at the 4 o'clock position on your belt?  you cant shoot off your junk and unless you have a big fat ass......well you get the idea.

That's how I do it, except at 8:00 (lefty). I would never stick a pistol down the front of my pants.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
...A leather shoelace holster...

Gotta admit my ignorance, I had not heard of that before you mentioned it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...A leather shoelace holster...

Gotta admit my ignorance, I had not heard of that before you mentioned it.

BTW General.... I love your chicken -- good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#33]
You might want to look into getting a better belt.  I used to have the same problem, couldn't find an OWB holster that rode well.  Then I invested some money into a quality belt, made for carrying.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Cliffy, I understand what you are saying, but I don't think it works for all. My VMII is MUCH more concealable than, say, my Galco Hi-rise OWB. I do wear a long unbuttoned shirt(usually Carrhart) for cover in the cooler days, but on FL summer days, the only thing I can conceal under a t-shirt is my VMII, which hides VERY well. My 1911 disappears, and my Glock does nearly as well. Maybe it's the way I'm built.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#35]
www.crossbreedholsters.com

Much cheaper than The Answer, and very comfy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:45:00 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
IMO for IWB carry you haven't lived until you have used a Comptac C.T.A.C. holster.

The CTAC is an awesome holster. I even prefer it to the VMII, which is also a great holster.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:03:46 AM EDT
[#37]
I tried to Mexican carry a 1911 in sweat pants, and ended up with a nut in the magwell.

Not cool.

Holsters are your friend.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#38]
do you mean, does anyone hate having so many of them that we don't use?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top