Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 7:39:13 AM EDT
Hello there,

I recently took my CCW class and should have my license any day now. Before taking my CCW class I took a couple of classes that delt with firearm safety, yadda, yadda, yadda. I also took an introductory class to tactical training and I plan on taking ALL of these courses as I think training is the number one way of getting better at shooting.

Here is my question.

I will use the following handguns for CCW:
-HK P2000 Sk .40 LEM trigger
-Colt 1911 lightweight commander 4".

When practicing drawing from the holster with my 2 ccw pieces. They are obviously two very different pieces. One has a manual safety, and one does not.....also, one has a very short trigger pull and the other one has an extremely long trigger pull.

I have been told that when you are confronted by danger and have little time to react you revert to your training. I am primarily concerned that since I will be carrying either one depending on the situation I may forget to take off the manual safety on my 1911 as there is no safety on my P2000 or perhaps have trouble dropping a mag since the HK requires a more "push down" technique.

Anyone carry different types of action handguns...or do most of you carry 1911's all of the time...or Glock type actions all of the time.

I am not looking for advise about practicing. I have a membership and shoot once a week if not more.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe I misunderstood. Are you carrying both at the same time or rotating? Would settle on just one if possible for a carry piece if they are both basicly the same size. Sometimes you have to go smaller for dress. Carry a G26 myself and it works for everything. You're gonna be surprised about maintainence with that Colt gun. Body salts from sweat will do damage to steel in short order.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:02:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Maybe I misunderstood. Are you carrying both at the same time or rotating? Would settle on just one if possible for a carry piece if they are both basicly the same size. Sometimes you have to go smaller for dress. Carry a G26 myself and it works for everything. You're gonna be surprised about maintainence with that Colt gun. Body salts from sweat will do damage to steel in short order.

No, I dont plan on carrying both at the same time.

The colt 1911 Lightweight is stainless steel so it shouldnt rust.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#4]
IMO you would be better off to choose one primary carry gun that you are the most comfortable with just in case ths SHTF and you forget witch weapon you have and make a mistake that will cost you your life.
 I always carry a G19 in the same place and same holster with one in the chamber and if something happens all i have to remember to do draw and fire and not have to remember to disengage a safety or anything like that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#5]

The colt 1911 Lightweight is stainless steel so it shouldnt rust.

Ok. Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a huge benefit to carrying the same thing day in and day out. That said, I've doen that with 1911 platform pistols (for years) and with Glock pistols (for years) and am now "back" to the 1911's. Myself, I would not be concerned about differentiating between the two. I've carried each long enough and shot and handled each enough that the muscle memory and tactile familiarity are there for each. I wouldn't have to "think" about which I had. To me, the two are not even similar. When it gets to my hand, it is "recognized" and the correct muscle memory is there. But there is no substitute for rounds down range, time spent with the weapon and time spent carrying the weapon.

My suggeston for now is to try to stick with one or the other as much as practicable for large blocks of time (a month, two, or more). This will help build the familiarity that will help to make the distinction between the two a non issue.

JMHO, YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Start shooting IDPA or IPSC competition, static practice without the pressure of timers and friendly competition does not teach you much. Your guns never fail in practice.

Big double dog ditto.

I will not get into tactics issues but the above will test you, your gear and expose your limitations.   Shoot enough IDPA/IPSC and you'll be able to answer the question you posted above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top