Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 10:42:32 AM EDT
After doing everything I want to the XD (night sights, trigger job) and USP (night sites), they will cost me the same.  so price doesn't matter.

I have my opinion on the matter, but want to hear yours.

(To save money, I've withered down my once prood collection to a full size - to be chosen - a compact - TLE/RL II Pro - and a subcompact - Taurus 38 snubbie)
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#1]
HK Tactical, since its going to be your only full size
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 G21s that I love, but I went to one of my favorite out-of-town gun stores earlier this week specifically to buy the new XD-45...

... where I found a good price on and came home with a full-sized .45 USP instead.

Don't know that this helps at all, I'm just sayin'...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#3]
USP.

45ACP and double action only like firing mechanisms don't mix. I also like the threaded barrel of the USP, the target sights, the improved trigger, the fact it doesn't have a grip safety, and the USP mag release has grown on me.

I like the feel of the XD, but if I wanted a Glock, I'd buy a Glock. It's no coincidence that I do not own a Glock, and have no plans to own a Glock or any pistol that fires similarly to a Glock. Give me SA/DA or just SA. If I wanted bad DAO trigger pulls I'd buy a wheel gun.

Try shooting them before you decide though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have 2 G21s that I love, but I went to one of my favorite out-of-town gun stores earlier this week specifically to buy the new XD-45...

... where I found a good price on and came home with a full-sized .45 USP instead.

Don't know that this helps at all, I'm just sayin'...

Jeeze man, you're as bad a me!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#5]
If price is no concern, personally I see absolutley no reason to get the XD over a USP45 Tac.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#6]
USP Tactical would be the better handgun than the XD.

Threaded barrel, O-Ring, Match tigger and sights. Plus, it is ready to go if you ever buy a suppressor.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The XD might fight your hands better. If the USP feels good to the hand and you can afford it I'd get the USP. More expensive gun and expensive mags though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Good god, this isn't even a fair question.

USP anytime, everytime, all the time.

Especially the Tactical...it doesnt get any better.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#9]
the XD fits me like a glove, however, fondling the usp tactical I felt the grip, while larger was comfortable as hell mainly cause of the REALLY short trigger reach.  I thought it would be too bulky, cause even 9mm glocks are too big for my hands, but the short trigger ont eh usp tactical made it fit like a glove.

silly noob question number two: how does an o-ring increase accuracy and what prevents someone from putting one on any handgun?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I voted XD just because. I like mine but hey they have not been out that long. The HK is certainly proven however I think the XD will prove itself also. I would not mind shooting a .45 USP but did not care for my 9mmUSP that much. I thought it was over priced and over rated but it was a good solid quality pistol. I got the XD .45 I got simply because of the size, capacity, price, and experiance with my 9mm XD. It is small enough for the way I carry. So far my XD has been great but I only have 200rds through it so I can not say it has proven itself YET. I paid $470 for my XD and the USPs in my area go for about $700. You would have a lot left over for extras. The HK is obviously a great choice though if you like it. Have fun with it whatever you get.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I voted XD just because. I like mine but hey they have not been out that long. The HK is certainly proven however I think the XD will prove itself also. I would not mind shooting a .45 USP but did not care for my 9mmUSP that much. I thought it was over priced and over rated but it was a good solid quality pistol. I got the XD .45 I got simply because of the size, capacity, price, and experiance with my 9mm XD. It is small enough for the way I carry. So far my XD has been great but I only have 200rds through it so I can not say it has proven itself YET. I paid $470 for my XD and the USPs in my area go for about $700. You would have a lot left over for extras. The HK is obviously a great choice though if you like it. Have fun with it whatever you get.

to get the setup  I want for either will cost me a total of around 900$.....

XD needs a trigger job and night sights.  USP comes iwth a great trigger but needs night sites.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Get the USP.  It gives you an excuse to buy a suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Can it wait 'till SHOT '07?  If so, then the HK45 may be your ticket.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I cannot believe this is even a question. It would be like asking should I get a Ford or BMW? "I am gonna dump a crap load of money into my Ford, just so it is as expensive as the BMW" This is sad, and is a sad question.

HK USP. There is not even a comparision between these two guns.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
... There is not even a comparision between these two guns.

Both semi-automatic pistols.

Both .45 ACP.

Both polymer-framed.

Both "high-capacity" (> 10 rounds).

Both from reputable companies who stand behind their products.

Sounds like the beginning of a comparison to me.  YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Get the one you will be able to handle comfortably and shoot accurately with.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both .45 ACP.

Both polymer-framed.

both will have almost same exact stats when I'm done with them either way I go.

XD = 550$
+
combat action job with 4 lb trigger 95$
refit factory barrel for match grade accuracy 90$
heinie strait eights 95$
Wolff SS guide rod and spring 38$

968$ total.

USP tactical = 875$

comes with match trigger and barrel, heinie strait eights 118$

993$ total.

same price, I don't doubt the quality of the SA Custom shop for a second nor do I doubt HK quality.  in essence, to me, these will be very similar pistols save for the safety functions.

Personally I'm going with variant 9 on the USP if I go that way.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#18]
O ring creates a consistent barrel-slide lock up around the muzzle end.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both .45 ACP.

Both polymer-framed.

Very valid point. But aside from that HK USP has it beat.

-USP has much, much better finish.
-The ability to have the hammer in three different positions, with or without the safety on/off in each hammer position. And you have have up to nine other different variants.
-A patented recoil reduction system that drastically reduces wear and tear.
-Much more agressive checkering for a much better fit
-No trigger safety to mess your finger up on
-Enlarged trigger guard for use with gloves
-Actually has an external safety, you can not use it if you do not see fit
-External Hammer for double strike capabilty
-If your XD fails to fire, it will not be able to be fired until the user manually operates the slide
-Threaded barrel for use with supressor

BAD
-Doesn't use a standard rail.

It is nonsense to compare the two, the HK is a much better weapon, much much better. XD is for the guy who only has a limited budget. HK is in a totally different price range. Pointless to throw money into a comparably worse gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both .45 ACP.

Both polymer-framed.

Very valid point. But aside from that HK USP has it beat.

-USP has much, much better finish.
-The ability to have the hammer in three different positions, with or without the safety on/off in each hammer position. And you have have up to nine other different variants.
-A patented recoil reduction system that drastically reduces wear and tear.
-Much more agressive checkering for a much better fit
-No trigger safety to mess your finger up on
-Enlarged trigger guard for use with gloves
-Actually has an external safety, you can not use it if you do not see fit
-External Hammer for double strike capabilty
-If your XD fails to fire, it will not be able to be fired until the user manually operates the slide
-Threaded barrel for use with supressor

BAD
-Doesn't use a standard rail.

It is nonsense to compare the two, the HK is a much better weapon, much much better. XD is for the guy who only has a limited budget. HK is in a totally different price range. Pointless to throw money into a comparably worse gun.

HK all the way.. I know, I own one... .45 Tac is my favorite.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
O ring creates a consistent barrel-slide lock up around the muzzle end.

Bruce Gray has done a LOT of messing around with this, and he has found that the O-ring doesn't really make any difference.

Rich
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#22]
If its the same price after all is said and done then you would have to go with the USP.  Reasons?  More OPTIONS.  10 trigger variants.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#23]
This is a no brainer, The USP hands down.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Of the two, I'd take the USP.

Given my own choice, a 1911 or a Sig 220.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#25]
hk tactical.  good choice in sights also.  heres some oring/flash suppressor info (add the $98 vortex into your cost).
www.ccfa.com/O-RingBarrels.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top