Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2002 8:47:46 AM EDT
Just was wondering, it looks like a fun project but with tons of work involved.  How did you cut the slide rails?

and what happens when you finish it do you have to register it and punch in your own serial numbers?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If you haven't already, head on over to www.roderuscustom.tzo.com and visit the forums.  There are plenty of folks over there who are in the process of putting them together.

Rails can be cut using a keyway cutter on a mill or by using the appropriate-sized endmill. Others have used a Dremel tool and also hand files.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
is it practical to do it by hand or would it be just to time consuming?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I would tackle an aluminum frame by hand before I did a steel one, it would go a little quicker.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#4]
good tip, maybe I will try that, does anyone know of a hand tool for cutting the slide rails?
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#5]
whats a keyway cutter?
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:47:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
whats a keyway cutter?

They're used in milling machines, but I'd bet you could get one to work in a drill press if you had everything set up nice and tight.  I would definitely use an undersized one though, to account for wobble and slop in your setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top