Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2006 10:13:15 AM EDT
Versus a taurus or beretta,sig,star ETC.
I see alot of aftermarket for 1911 but don't know if it would fit other guns so there must be a difference.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh my....  
www.m1911.org/
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#3]
You're not from NY right?

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Go here: link and read. - nevermind, bsbg's link is better, start there.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#5]
an ok pistol designed by John Moses Browning. thankfully he came to his senses and made the Hi Power to correct his mistakes
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
an ok pistol designed by John Moses Browning. thankfully he came to his senses and made the Hi Power to correct his mistakes

*Snicker*

The guy buys one HP Clone and now he's an expert........
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No, he realized that there can be multiple forms of perfection.  At least his name wasnt gaston.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*Snicker*

The guy buys one his third HP Clone and now he's an expert........

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Go here: link and read. - nevermind, bsbg's link is better, start there.

First hit on Google

[note to noobs - Google is your friend.]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The P35 was the best pistol Browning ever designed, but only because the M1911 was designed by God and given to Browning by the angel Gabriel.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Owwy ow!  That post must hurt the buttholes of every 1911 owner.

Move over, rover, Gaston's taking over!

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

what is a 1911?

What every other handgun tries to compares itself to.

Fixed
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess deej86 really isn't taking his hiatus.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Oh my....  

You said it!!!!
My God if you are that uninformed on firearms.... DO NOT touch one until you have taken a sanctioned shooting safety course. For your safety and everyone else.
www.m1911.org/

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I see everone has a smartass reply but deep down don't really know either?
It just seems most parts sellers have alot of 1911 stuff but little other type.
is there a different trigger for a taurus92PT,grips ETC like there is for the 1910+1???
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
is there a different trigger for a taurus92PT,grips ETC like there is for the 1910+1???

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#22]
What is a 1911?

Why it's the single greatest source of Kool Aid around here!  Over half the people on this site are DROWNING in it!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'm sorry but these are not smartass replies. All are mostly astonished at someone who doesn't know what a 1911 is or if it's parts are different to a Beretta or other handguns. Where do we start?
You do need to take a shooting course to learn the basics. That's all!!!  It's imperitive!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#24]

I see alot of aftermarket for 1911 but don't know if it would fit other guns so there must be a difference.

No the parts are not interchangeable and yest there are many differences. Buy the parts that are specifically for whatever sidearm(s) you own.

What is a 1911?

Why it's the single greatest source of Kool Aid around here! Over half the people on this site are DROWNING in it!

What's up with all the smart-ass noob trolls? They sure do come in cycles around here. From now on, instead of noobs I propose we call them periods.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What's up with all the smart-ass noob trolls? They sure do come in cycles around here. From now on, instead of noobs I propose we call them periods.

aaaaand my point has been proven.

"Welcome to AR15.com! Feel free to voice your opinion, but if you say ANYTHING bad about the 1911, prepare to be written off as a troll/noob/ect"
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Welcome to AR15.com! Feel free to voice your opinion, but if you say ANYTHING bad about the 1911, prepare to be written off as a troll/noob/ect"

Did you join this site with the express intent of being an assclown?

There are many members here who revile 1911s and worship at the altar of Gaston. It's just that none of them seem to desire to troll the forums.
Ahhhh I give up. Clean_cut's troll account has beaten me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Actually I never did join this site to troll, and it is never my intention to do so.  If I offended anyone, I am sorry.

It just agrivates me to no end that it seems to be the dominant philosophy around here that there is the 1911, and may some other toy guns here and there.  People who refuse to even consider other guns as a viable weapon system agrivate me to no end, and the arrogance that they carry with them is even worse.  When someone asks a legitimate question and is flamed for his ignorance, I think that is the ultimate form or rudeness.

Did anyone who offered a smartass answer to someone's legitimate question ever stop to think that perhaps this person is just getting into guns, and may not have a large knowlege base?

Did anyone think that maybe this person was confused as to what exactally qualified a gun as being a 1911?  Is a 1911 a single action pistol designed by JMB that holds 7 rds of 45acp ammo?  Is a Para a true 1911?  What about the shorties?  I can see how this person may have been confused.

Did anyone stop to help?  No, they raised their noses high to the air and made a downward slapping motion to this person, without regard to his quest for knowlege.

Then when someone (me) tries to call them on their snobbery with a bit of satire, I am greeted with a plethora of insults and indignation.

I've only been a member of this site for a short period of time.  Some parts of the site can truely be called community, but other parts are merely a breeding ground for high nosed snobs and eliteists who like nothing better than to insult people who do not agree with their way of thinking.

Get over yourself, pull your head out, take a joke, and maybe share some of your knowlege with someone who may not know as much.

Call me a troll if you want to, but I will NEVER offer a snide remark to someone with a legitimate question that isn't asked every day, and will do whatever I can to call out people who do.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#28]

It just agrivates me to no end that it seems to be the dominant philosophy around here that there is the 1911, and may some other toy guns here and there. People who refuse to even consider other guns as a viable weapon system agrivate me to no end, and the arrogance that they carry with them is even worse. When someone asks a legitimate question and is flamed for his ignorance, I think that is the ultimate form or rudeness.

I think it is because people are tired of hashing out why they use a Glock, 1911, P35, USP, Desert Eagle, whatever.
It's just been done so many times that people just say "1911" "Glock" "USP" the same way they say "Colt" "Bushmaster" "Vulcan Arms"

Just kidding.
Everyone knows Vulcan Arms is shit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Get off your high horse. It took two posts and thirteen minutes for this relative new guy to the site to be shown the way to what is probably the single most informative site on the internet relative to his question.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I like Taurus and carry a PT92 9mm all black,
I have my carry permit,C&R and  a member of the NRA and get the shotgun news in the mail.
"If that ain't country I'll kiss your ass"<David Allen Cole >HE HE HE HE.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Maybe if your orignal post made any sense at all you would have gotten some more educational responses.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#33]
A 1911 is the .45ACP caliber service pistol that predates the improved 1911A1.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#34]
The 1911 is one of the prevelent handguns on the planet.  The reason why it has custom parts in waves is because it has a following like nearly nothing else in the world today.  

The gun can be tuned to run like a Chevy 350 can become the powerplant of a stock or Indy car.  

You can re-build them like an engine, if some hack screws it up people out there can reweld them in Nitrogen purged containers and re-machine them to the original specs.  

I hope I've answered something,

Another good point is like that 350 it can be the swiss watch or the engine that can't drive a car to the dump.  There are far more improperly tuned and built 1911's than properly tuned and built.   I reccomend if you buy one you get something properly built.  Kimber is the only production gun I would deal with; better to go to a semi-production-custom firm like Baer or Wilson, or full custom with a reputable gunsmith and I STRESS THE REPUTABLE.  Go with a hack and you may as well light your money on fire.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I guess since "what is a 1911" isn't understandable,
Hows this: Is a 1911 a general term naming a type of gun or is it one name brand?
Is it just singal actions or does it include doubles,only .45s or like is a Berreta or Star a 1911?
I beleive sometimes the way magizines state it that all large frame semi autos are 1911.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#36]
If you really are serious and not just " messin' wiff us " http://www.m1911.org/
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#37]
The 1911 is the Harley Davidson of handguns.
It's been around since the beginning of time, went through a drought in the 80's, and has come back with a vengenance.It's also like an HD in the sense that the owners customize it to their liking. Once you shoot one you will be hooked.
Taurus, Sig & Beretta make good products, and Taurus is (supposedly) coming out with a 1911 sometime soon. If there is a range near you that rents pistols, rent one, and you'll see what the addiction is all about.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I like Taurus and carry a PT92 9mm all black,
I have my carry permit,C&R and  a member of the NRA and get the shotgun news in the mail.
"If that ain't country I'll kiss your ass"<David Allen Cole >HE HE HE HE.

And you don't know if  1911 is a type of weapon or a brand-name? Maybe you ought to read the captions for the photos in the shotgun news, rather than just thinking of it as a picture book.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#41]

a great American designed classic auto pistol that has continued to prosper and be used by many and produced/modified/sold by many manufactures and custom shops, here and around the world--for a very damn good reason

sure there are many guns out there that will work and are just as if not better (or worse) as a combat pistol, but the 1911 has been around for over 90 yrs, and its still going strong...

and its not trolling, but just the man's opinion

but someone pls tell me why 1911s (and not individual brands/manufacutes) suck....b/c, the right ones seem to run for me
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Aaaaaand if you decide to bash the Beretta M9/92 prepare to feel the wrath of Mr. Hop_N_Pop.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:10:23 AM EDT
[#43]
What makes a 1911 a 1911?
Is it the trigger pull,lenth of the barrel,grips.
I would love to have one but not knowing what they are defined as,hell I might already have one and not know it!!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:19:45 AM EDT
[#44]
It's a style of pistol for the love of god.
If I wanted to know what makes a 1911 a 1911 I would join ar15.com and read all about them on the 1911 section of the handgun forum.  I hope I would be able to figure it out by reading, reading, looking at pictures, and more reading.  What  is the story with you?

Go to the 1911 picture thread, look at every picture there is.  Notice how they all look similar even though they may have different grips or barrel lengths?  They are all 1911 pistols.
This is a 1911.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:36:56 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
It's a style of pistol for the love of god.
If I wanted to know what makes a 1911 a 1911 I would join ar15.com and read all about them on the 1911 section of the handgun forum.  I hope I would be able to figure it out by reading, reading, looking at pictures, and more reading.  What  is the story with you?

Go to the 1911 picture thread, look at every picture there is.  Notice how they all look similar even though they may have different grips or barrel lengths?  They are all 1911 pistols.
This is a 1911.
www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PB9108LLarge.jpg

Yes, this is a 1911 by Springfield Armory, (one of which I own). To explain further, they are made by many different manf., ie. Colt, Kimber, S&W, Par-Ord.,Les Baer, Wilson Combat and so on. All are copies of JM Browning design made in the year 1911. All have made improvements over the years that makes it one of the finest handguns in the world.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:43:51 AM EDT
[#46]

Did anyone who offered a smartass answer to someone's legitimate question ever stop to think that perhaps this person is just getting into guns, and may not have a large knowlege base?

Did anyone think that maybe this person was confused as to what exactally qualified a gun as being a 1911?  Is a 1911 a single action pistol designed by JMB that holds 7 rds of 45acp ammo?  Is a Para a true 1911?  What about the shorties?  I can see how this person may have been confused.

Did anyone stop to help?

Yes stevie wonder, we did. Did you? Go back and look at the first 4 replies. You will find two links, both of which direct him to where he can find a wealth of information. STFU with your incessant babbling. No one here is drinking "1911 kool-aid" although most of us realize it is a fantastic sidearm. We just aren't closed-minded and stupid enough to drink the "anti-1911 kool-aid" .  To do so would require either an enormous ignorance or disregard as to the history of the weapon and its modern day representatives. Solutions in search of a problem are not valid simply by virtue of their existence.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:24:41 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
What makes a 1911 a 1911?
Is it the trigger pull,lenth of the barrel,grips.
I would love to have one but not knowing what they are defined as,hell I might already have one and not know it!!!!

Do you just go into a gunstore and buy a random gun out of the case? How could you "own one and not know it?"

This is like going into a car forum and asking "What is a pickup truck?", "Is it different from a convertible or a sedan?"
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:45:13 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I guess since "what is a 1911" isn't understandable,

If you had clicked the link I posted in my first reply and several others repeated, you would be educated and not asking the same questions over and over.

You are either just trying to stir up trouble, or you shouldn't own guns.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
swiss predecessor to the K31

the C&R mafia strikes again!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top