Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 7:32:32 PM EDT
This post evolves from the KaBoom thread. I have a theory which I have never heard mention of and maybe it will make sense and maybe some of you can tell me why it is in error. It may appear I am going to Bash something, I'm not. Due to the Area I live in I shoot in some very cold temps, and due to the fact I am retired and have a lot of free time I am able to shoot often (I know its a tough job but someone has to do it).
An observation from shooting in extreme cold (real fucking cold) my G-19 had trouble cycling, my 96 FS also had trouble cycling and my SA Loaded had no problem cycling. This is understandable as the 45 acp operates at much lower pressures than the 9mm or 40 S&W which are effected greater by the cold. When both the 9mm and the 40 smith failed to go into battery (quite often at this temp) it made me wonder What If the slide stopped at just the right (wrong) spot and the weapon was able to be fired without being 100% in battery and not completely locked up ? I know the pressure would be lower than normal but if wasn't locked up could it cause a Kb ?
Well what do you think?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:11:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the situation you describe could cause a case rupture out of battery and with it damage to the frame, but not a true KABOOM (which to me would imply the destruction of the barrel itself).
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#2]
You just cant beat the old clasic steel frame gov. model .45, been around for a long time and will be around for a long time, nothing like'em, but yes it could have went KABOOM I guess???? Good question.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you wearing gloves and what are you using for lube?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Much below zero and Damned rights I wear gloves (light liners) . I use a gun oil very, very sparingly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top