Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 10:24:17 AM EDT
I've been wondering for some time if I could pass the Texas CHL range test.  Today I found out.  No I still haven't done the CHL thing for real, but I got one of the 5, 4 and 3 point targets and hit the range.  There, I followed the course of fire.  10 at 15 yards and 20 each at 7 and 3.  Most I did in five shot groups.  Anyway, I had 4 fall into the 4 point area and one slip just outside of the head - I was getting cocky.  So of a possible 250 points, I scored 241.  Not bad for someone who just got serious about shooting in September.  Oh and I was using my HK 40.  I could have done much better w/ my 226 9mm, but I didn't bring it today.

I know that most of you guys shoot way better than that, but I was pleased.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Not bad. If U really want to pass and not sweat it - don't aim for the head and aim for the chest instead. It is easier. Center mass is always the easiest place to do so.

Now, if you are a really good shot, and U kinda want to play, and you have no doubts as to how U will do - then go for the head shots.

Did you do the shooting sequences times, and w/ the number of shots per group? Or did you just shoot a bunch of rounds at the 3 distances? Try to do it realistically, to get the practice.

Truthfully, though, it is almost too easy to pass that class, though. My 1st renewal class - a 70-something year old oldlady who NEVER fired a gun before (and had to be showed how to work a gun) passed the class.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I mostly did it as 2, 3 and 5 shot groups.  And the head thing was just playing around.  If/when I do the actual test, I will take my 226 and put all 50 in the chest.  

I wasn't too worried about passing it.  I just wanted to see how it would go.  Heck, you can miss the paper entirely on all 10 15 yard shots and still pass w/ 25 points to spare.

K
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's the course of fire if anyone is interested.

http://www.ccgunrange.com/chl_class.html#CHL_COF
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If you really want to play, do double taps to the chest, and a single to the head.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to admit to playing when I took mine; SC only requires that the holes be in the black to count so I shot a smiley face, a heart and then put two in the groin and one in each hand.   The ranges were short and it seemed like you had enough time to draw, shoot, reholster and smoke a cigarette if you wanted (no, I don't smoke).  I shot my Sig P226.    
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
The Texas certification is pitifully easy.  No drawing from a holster.  All shots from the low ready.  

When I took mine I just did nothing but head shots.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I've read a few of your posts now and it sounds like you really have your act together. It's a good idea to practice the qualification ahead of time, and it sounds like you did very well. Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

On another note, have you looked at any more intensive training classes yet? I remember reading about your first training experience and how much it helped your shooting. Once you get your CCW it's easier to get into some classes.

Good luck,
2IDdoc
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:54:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Taking classes that actually teach are a very good idea.  There were a couple of folks in my class who I would have failed- while I certainly support CCW, I think that the qualification standards should be higher (at least from what I saw of SC's).  It's scary how poorly some of the people in my class shot as well as how poorly they handled their handgun.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've read a few of your posts now and it sounds like you really have your act together. It's a good idea to practice the qualification ahead of time, and it sounds like you did very well. Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

On another note, have you looked at any more intensive training classes yet? I remember reading about your first training experience and how much it helped your shooting. Once you get your CCW it's easier to get into some classes.

Good luck,
2IDdoc

Thanks.  I try.  No, I have yet to look into a more intensive class.  Maybe in the Summer I might.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Why should shooting proficiency determine one's right to self defense?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It's not required for self defense.  Any is welcome to defend themselves.  It's just required for self defense with a handgun.  I fully agree that some basic level of shooting ability be necessary for CHL.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Because some proficiency is needed to put the rounds fired where they should go to hit the target(the perp)and not all over the damn neighborhood!!!!!!!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top