Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 8:54:53 PM EDT
sometimes i just wanna squeeze off a few round from my new G19 at 2am ya know??

but seriously, what would it take to build a (suburb soundproof) firing range in a basement? i think it would be pretty damn awesome.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

but seriously, what would it take to build a (suburb soundproof) firing range in a basement? i think it would be pretty damn awesome.

+1

i know how you feel....no idea, but ventalation and lots of foam and steel sound like a must
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I would love a 50 foot rim fire range in my house. When I hit the lottery that what I am going to have built.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have thought about building one too in my house. Is it legal to shoot a firearm in your house in city limits?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:13:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a buddy that shoots 22's shorts into a big old log in this basement.... I never heard on anyone ever doing this, but he does it all the time.  He piss's the wife off a little bit at times doing this.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:26:28 AM EDT
[#7]
One of the nice things about one of the Clubs I’m a member of has this reallll nifty indoor pistol range.  And unless there is an organized practice or meet scheduled, the range is open 24/7/365 to members.  So if I can’t sleep some off day at 3:47AM, I can go on over to the Club, break out a pistol and burn off a few dozen magazines worth of unjacketed ammo.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:36:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought I was the only nutjob who thought of this. I ran this very same idea past my wife with unfavorable results. She thinks I am a pyscho. Oh well.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:47:16 AM EDT
[#9]
One of my uncles did this in a house he lived it.  It was a long time ago, and I only saw it once, but IIRC it was basically a small closet-like room that was lined with eggcrate style foam and then he had a corridor that ran off of it that was sandbagged on the floor and both sides and had a plywood roof with sandbags on top.  He had a cable that he used to run his targets down to the end although it wasn't very long.  I never saw him shoot in it and I'm not sure how it was ventilated.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

$$'s!  And lots of 'em to do it right!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Ummm... I used to have a "shootin' log" in my basement. I would shoot into it to test various LOW POWERED loads. If you really want to try this get a buddy to come over and stand outside your house on the 4th of July, test fire a .22 into a log in your basement and have him report on the noise level. If all is good then you might want to try a bit louder round but be damn sure of your bullet stopping material before you do anything!
Oh, a steel plate behind a couple of layers of railroad ties works well as a cheap home bullet stopper.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I would think that with a ton of sand bags (sides, ceiling, and backstop) you could easily make a setup.  Aside from that you would need some fans blowing out of the garage/basement.  Making the structure to hold the sand bags could be accomplished by welding or with wood I would think.  It would be a real ghetto set up but I could see it working.

And for noise?  A suppressor :P
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#13]
How about an old phone book and a pellet pistol?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How about an old phone book and a pellet pistol?

i know someone who shoots bricks of 22's out of his AR using a 22 upper.  workd for him.  also pisses the wife off
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#15]
My dad used to shoot .22 in our basement when I was a kid.  He worked in the steel mill and welded up a trap out of 1/4" plate and put sand in the bottom.  It was only about 2ftX2ft and occasionally he'd miss and hit the block wall.  One day he caught a piece of lead in his forehead from a ricochet.  Drew blood, but otherwise unscathed.  I guess this took some of the fun out of and he quit.  But, the trap worked well, looked just like a BB gun trap.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I built a firing range in my basement many years ago, but stopped using it regularly almost as long ago.

Typically, the noise is not an issue, and a backstop is not an issue.

The big issue is ventiation. You do not want to be breathing primer and powder residue at all. Not to mention fine lead particles that hang in the air around the trap. Bad bad bad for you.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife and I once looked at a house that was for sale by a couple that were on the olympic shooting team.

In the basement (we have those in WI) they had a closet door that when opened it revealed 3 sections of 24" sewer pipe 10' long that was buried under their front yard.

The pipe was equiped with a target return system (pull a cable attached to 2 pulleys) and a 300 watt flood light mounted 1/2 way down.

They had a line drawn on the floor about 15 feet from the door and they would shoot down the pipe.

The light did have 2 holes in it, but figuring the thousands of shots that must have been fired down that range, I thought it was a small precentage.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I built a firing range in my basement many years ago, but stopped using it regularly almost as long ago.

Typically, the noise is not an issue, and a backstop is not an issue.

The big issue is ventiation. You do not want to be breathing primer and powder residue at all. Not to mention fine lead particles that hang in the air around the trap. Bad bad bad for you.

Exactly.  Big +1 on the ventilation issue. Proper ventilation is the hardest part to achieve. (Also note that expelling unfiltered air into the atmosphere that may contain lead particulate matter is highly illegal.)
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#20]
A guy I work with has put one in his basement.  Basically a closet door like what Shooterer mentioned but with one large pipe (think culvert sized) and a similar pulley system.  Apparently it works great for handgun shooting.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Shooting Lead free ammo would solve that issue but you are limited in Calibers. Doesnt someone on this site Build these for a living.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#22]
My best friends dad has a range in his basement. Standard type pully target system, steel backstop and sand on the floor. The range was in a crawl space and the door to it opened at waist high level.It was used for 22's only. It had a ventilation fan but I'm sure we breathed a few fumes in our day. I haven't been over there in years but it was a "blast" in college!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top