Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 9:03:08 AM EDT
Are all S&W pistols made so that they don't fire without the mag?

Or is this just on some models?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Most are like this.  The 1911's and a few of the other autopistols aren't, but they come with a stupid ass warning on the side, "Capable of firing with magazine removed".  That's what a gun should do.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#2]
It was a factory option. S&Ws can be made to fire with or without the mag or vise versa. S&W gives you the option.

S.O.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Most are like this.  The 1911's and a few of the other autopistols aren't, but they come with a stupid ass warning on the side, "Capable of firing with magazine removed".  That's what a gun should do.  MJD

They put that on their because all S&Ws are not set up the same and it reminds people that the pistol they have may not work as they are accustomed to.

S.O.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They put that on their because all S&Ws are not set up the same and it reminds people that the pistol they have may not work as they are accustomed to.

S.O.

I look at it more as a built-in lawyer.  Can the mag safety be removed like it can on a Hi-Power?  MJD
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I look at it more as a built-in lawyer.  Can the mag safety be removed like it can on a Hi-Power?  MJD

If you have the know-how to remove the rear sight you can disable the mag safety.

chissel
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

S.O.

Come on.....You see the "caliber" of some people who own guns, many are their own worst enemy. How many people really read the manual or hand it to someone else to try out etc etc......

S.O.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#7]
For some I am sure it is a worthwhile device.  I have heard pros and cons of them.  

In fact I cannot think of a logical reason to remove such a device from a gun.

That said, Mag safeties are goners on all the guns that I had that used them.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I ask because a friend of mine just bought a S&W and I told him about this.  He is gonna check and see if his does the same.

Can the be changed over in any way?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
My 4006 has the mag safety.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

S.O.

I would not modify a safety feature and this one has saved hundreds if not thousands of police.  I have some Smiths with it and not and I don't mind either way.

My carry gun has it but my SHTF gun does not!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
The FBI’s ill-fated S&W 1076’s were made without mag safeties.

I’m pretty sure the mag safety can be defeated, but whether or not you want to do something like that in today’s litigious society is up to you.

While I’d prefer to not have the safety, it’s really a non-issue for me anyway since I don’t care for S&W semi’s.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top