Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 9:24:02 PM EDT
Are there any disadvantages to using a 92FS for IDPA competitions as opposed to something like a Glock 17 or 19?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not as good as a glock for one thing.  Anything over a 10 round capacity is a waste anyway.  Go with whatever your comfortable with.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's not as good as a glock for one thing.  Anything over a 10 round capacity is a waste anyway.  Go with whatever your comfortable with.  

In what way isn't it better?

I like the feel of the Glock 19 more, but once I ship off to USMC boot camp this summer and then go to MCSF school I will be using an M9 so I figured even though I like the Glock 19 better, it would be best to go with a 92FS since that's what i'll be using in the Corps.  

Think I should just get what I like best (Glock 19), or get what i'll be using in the Corps (M9) to get well acquainted with it and show up shooting expert () ?  Don't get me wrong, I do like the 92FS, just not as much as the Glock 19.

Mabye I should make a new thread asking this question.

ETA: I decided to just make a new thread asking this question: http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?a=subscribe&b=5&f=4&t=23913&sub=Handgun+Dilema
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are there any disadvantages to using a 92FS for IDPA competitions as opposed to something like a Glock 17 or 19?

No, there's not.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#4]
IDPA probably won't help you on the Marine Corps course of fire for classification.  It will make you a better, and faster shot, but the ranges are pretty different.  I take that back, in terms of being familiar with the firearm you'll be using that will help.  The beretta isn't as reliable as the Glock, that's the main drawback for me.

ETA I shoot a Glock 22 for IDPA.  I own a Beretta 96 also.  I like em both, but I like lighter guns better.  And my Glock has 25k rounds through it malfunction free.  My Beretta has issues.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had one failure in my Glock and ZERO in my 92FS. They are both reliable and the 92 is more accurate in my opinion but I would probably go with a Glock 17.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#6]
both would suffice for IDPA

get the one that feels the best to you

dont worry about what the USMC will issue--just get the one that feels good to shoot (you will probably shoot it more anyways!)

i would again get the G17 (more likely the G19 as its easier to CCW later on) as i like the consistant trigger pull on em (but i dont like the "feel"--h/w, the first shot feels like the rest)
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]
ok ive figured out the first part mc =marine corps whats SF mean for all us dimwitts!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a Beretta M92F for IDPA, ocasionally as a CCW gun and as my main home defense gun.  I have used it since 1986.  In IDPA competion it has been just as reliable as any Glock.  Both are fine guns, get what you want and just practice as much as you can.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#9]
These blanket statements  "this" gun  is better than "that"gun crack me up.  Most of the modern, name brand hand guns (Glock, sig, HK, S&W, Taurus, Beretta, etc...) are reasonably accurate and reliable out of the box.  My Beretta may be more reliable than your Glock with "X" ammo but not as accurate as his Sig.  Point is, find one that you like, fits well, and shoots well for you. Shoot friends guns or rent them at the range.   Once you buy, practice and find out what ammo it likes the best.  Now you have the most reliable and accurate gun.   Oh, and by the way, the Beretta is the best!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Edited out the BS, left the good advice.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I have used my 92FS just because it is closest to my issue weapon and I have developed muscle memory on it.  As long as you have its manual of arms down you are good to go.  

The only advantage the Glock has is the lack of the separate safety, but with training you can get us to it.  

I personally shot better with the M9 than the Glock, it has a long sight plane and fits my hand better.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I personally shot better with the M9 than the Glock, it has a long sight plane and fits my hand better.

As someone who has owned a 92FS and a G19 I agree.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's NOT as good or as reliable as a Glock.  As far as the ten round mags go? You should have been at the hillbilly classic.  The worlds best shooters all using ten round mags so there was no chance you'd screw up and overload one.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It's NOT as good ...

Merely an opinion. My 92FS shot rings around my G19. Sorry but nobody died and made you the authority on sidearms.

He should get what works best for him and since he will possibly be using a M9 in service it would be smart for him to start getting used to the weapon now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Both are capable of good accuracy, both are reliable, both are rather ubiquitous in that you can get parts, magazines, accessories etc. very easily.  The advantage the glock has for IDPA is that it has a shorter trigger reset and makes for faster splits.  That said, there are a lot of people who compete well with the 92F.  The Beretta's are actually capable of very good accuracy, and have even begun to show up in service pistol matches.  The reset is actually easy to overcome.  I believe the inherent accuracy of the Beretta is on a par.

As one who has been to a lot of IDPA matches, I've seen a lot of Glocks malf.  It's not so much the gun's fault but they've been tinkered with and the ammo is loaded light.  I've actually only seen one Beretta jam, but then again I haven't seen as many of them used.  The beretta I speak of had hammer follow due to tinkering on the part of the owner.  

Go with the one that feels right to you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I use both.
One as a "service rig with drop leg" and the other (G19) as my day to day rig.  I score MUCH better with the glock.  
Shoot a match with both.  You be the judge.

Although, in a SHTF situation I would rather have more mags for the A2 than the wieght of the M9, however 2 is better than 1 cuz one is 0.
But you will learn some of the skills you need to shoot and live.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, there's not.

+1
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the feel of the Glock 19 more, but once I ship off to USMC boot camp this summer and then go to MCSF school I will be using an M9 so I figured even though I like the Glock 19 better, it would be best to go with a 92FS since that's what i'll be using in the Corps.  

Think I should just get what I like best (Glock 19), or get what i'll be using in the Corps (M9) to get well acquainted with it and show up shooting expert () ?  Don't get me wrong, I do like the 92FS, just not as much as the Glock 19.

ETA: I decided to just make a new thread asking this question: http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?a=subscribe&b=5&f=4&t=23913&sub=Handgun+Dilema

Use the 92FS in IDPA, your train of thought is right on.  Ignore all the other posts that totally missed the point of your intent.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For your info Future Killer

Marine Corps uses M9...M92FS....

And what is MCSF school?
never heard of that

If you are saying "special" forces...lol

You may mean Force Recon/MARSOC.........they use 1911 MEUSOC pistols currently.......at least I did....through2004

and they already ordered an assload of Kimber Warrior's.....and other Dawson rail equipped Colt's...

Concentrate on getting through MCRD first.

Then try out for Battalion level Recon/ or Force Recon(!) Indoc..........then maybe you will be....

SWIFT
SILENT
DEADLY

Semper Fidelis~Always Faithful
Sgt Mc USMC 1993~2004 0331 Infantry MachineGunner/0321 Recon
3rd BN/ 4th Mar
HQBN/1st Recon Battalion 1st MarDiv

good ol' Margaritaville area 33...Camp Pendleton, CA

jimmy buffet~ "wastin' away again...in Margaritaville"
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
uote]

For your info Future Killer

Marine Corps uses M9...M92FS....

And what is MCSF school?
never heard of that

If you are saying "special" forces...lol

Ease up stud, odds are he's talking about MC security force.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's NOT as good or as reliable as a Glock.  As far as the ten round mags go? You should have been at the hillbilly classic.  The worlds best shooters all using ten round mags so there was no chance you'd screw up and overload one.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:12:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You may mean Force Recon/MARSOC.........they use 1911 MEUSOC pistols currently.......at least I did....through2004

Ever float I was on. only the Force bubbas had 1911s, the bat guys never did and it is strange an 03 doesn't know what MCSF is, since that is where the "barracks babies" come from.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top