Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 9:05:43 AM EDT
what all needs to be done to sell person-to-person
what information do i need to get from the buyer?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#1]
go to a gun store that also does consignment.  they will most likely have a basic form.  or go to a gun show--they will have forms around.  the buyer and seller both fill out the same info--name, address, ssn/drivers license #, phone, make, model, serial #, caliber--and exchange it.  its a lot like exchanging info at a traffic accident.  this info will act as a bill of sale so that if its used in a crime or was used in a crime you can show the cops when they knock on your door where you got it from or who you sold it to.  depending on the state you may or may not need to send a copy to the state police.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
All you need to do is to verify that he is of legal age and, if possible, that he is not prohibited from buying or owning a weapon- felon, etc. Since you can't verify his criminal record that is pretty much a moot point.
I would copy his driver's license info if he will let you- some people are touchy about private info, and keep it for future reference- just in case.
Suppose that weapon gets sold again or stolen, used in a crime, and you are the last known purchaser of the weapon? If you have a dated bill of sale, or at least the buyers info, you can be cleared. If you just tell them "I sold it a year ago to some dude" they might not believe you.
If someone was buying a weapon from me and refused to let me have his name, address and driver's license number I would decline to sell to him.
Jim
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top