Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/5/2023 7:57:06 PM EDT
I swore to not have to stock anymore calibers, but I badly wanted a PS90 so I bought one...

How do the 5.7x28 handguns on the market shoot vs a 9mm handgun?

Is it worth considering a 5.7x28 handgun as my next range toy over another 9mm?
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Ruger 57 and like it quite a bit, I have also had a couple of FNs Five-seveNs MKI and MKII, also looking to get the S&W version and the PSA Rock also. Safe to say that I like the 5.7x28 pistols.

The pistols are very soft shooting and very accurate, makes them fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I find them fun to shoot. Make sure you try them for fit to your hand, as the grip is is longer front to back. The negligible recoil is a plus and they make good long range shooters.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Fun to shoot But then again so is a 22LR.

If you want a high velocity proven cartridge get a 7.62x25 surplus pistol.

Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I swore to not have to stock anymore calibers, but I badly wanted a PS90 so I bought one...

How do the 5.7x28 handguns on the market shoot vs a 9mm handgun?

Is it worth considering a 5.7x28 handgun as my next range toy over another 9mm?
View Quote

I swore that same oath, and I've also long coveted the PS90, but it seems many that have one said the novelty wears off or that it really needs to be SBRed to really be fun, so instead I got an MKIII as my intro to 5.7, and it's a blast to shoot.

So now I'm vested in the caliber and thinking I'm gonna get the PSA next so I can run it with a can.

Compared to 9mm it just feels snappier, and more accurate. Kind of like shooting laser beams. Shot some steel with it and you could barely discern the ping from the crack of the shot. It was fun. So yeah, if you don't mind $.75/rd for a fun range toy I say go for it.

Since you're already starting with the PS90, it might be worth looking at the KelTec P50 that uses the same mags. They've come down to $650ish recently which has me reconsidering my usual avoidance of their stuff.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I was at a local gun store the other day and was curious about the different makes. Funny enough, out of all the different makes/models, the Ruger 57 is the one I would want/might eventually get. The controls, to me, are made the right size and easily accessible/usable. It is much more comfortable to hold than the S&W and the FN in my opinion. The S&W looks great but it seems like they stopped caring about the engineering of the gun at the grip/frame. It feels huge and like a brick in the hand.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I swore that same oath, and I've also long coveted the PS90, but it seems many that have one said the novelty wears off or that it really needs to be SBRed to really be fun, so instead I got an MKIII as my intro to 5.7, and it's a blast to shoot.

So now I'm vested in the caliber and thinking I'm gonna get the PSA next so I can run it with a can.

Compared to 9mm it just feels snappier, and more accurate. Kind of like shooting laser beams. Shot some steel with it and you could barely discern the ping from the crack of the shot. It was fun. So yeah, if you don't mind $.75/rd for a fun range toy I say go for it.

Since you're already starting with the PS90, it might be worth looking at the KelTec P50 that uses the same mags. They've come down to $650ish recently which has me reconsidering my usual avoidance of their stuff.
View Quote

I submitted my form 1 to SBR it & form 4 for the can for the PS90 (Ordered the YHM T3 can) The long wait is on
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was at a local gun store the other day and was curious about the different makes. Funny enough, out of all the different makes/models, the Ruger 57 is the one I would want/might eventually get. The controls, to me, are made the right size and easily accessible/usable. It is much more comfortable to hold than the S&W and the FN in my opinion. The S&W looks great but it seems like they stopped caring about the engineering of the gun at the grip/frame. It feels huge and like a brick in the hand.
View Quote

THank you. Next time I am at a shop, I will handle any they have
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, be sure to check out the PSA 5.7 pistol. They run sales on them & sometimes offer extra mags to go with it.

My 5.7 is the FN, extremely accurate out to 100 yards & beyond. Love this caliber!
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP, be sure to check out the PSA 5.7 pistol. They run sales on them & sometimes offer extra mags to go with it.

My 5.7 is the FN, extremely accurate out to 100 yards & beyond. Love this caliber!
View Quote

Thanks. Hard to buy this without holding one, though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks. Hard to buy this without holding one, though.
View Quote

I get that, I'm the same way most of the time.

Maybe look at Gun Broker, see if a PA FFL is selling any that you want to check out? Do a small road trip to scope them out?
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]
So far with my uses the FN FiveseveN and PSA 57 Rock are the top of the list. Then the S&W seems better made than the Ruger, but it's also my newest buy so it has 0 rds down range. The Ruger's slide is only blued and easily surface rusts. I've seen someone break the front frame rails on theirs. The trigger is very mushy, and the mag release is too small.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#13]
personally, no. I like the idea of it, but I can't imagine needing an expensive to feed, huge pistol with maybe some soft armor piercing needs. If I already stocked the round for something else? Maybe. and while cool, the rifles in this round don't make sense to me without a giggle switch.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't shoot 5.7 but since you're already in the 5.7 family and have the ammo too (presuming), I think it'd be worth it to get another 5.7 gun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I personally think the 5.7 pistol w/red dot and SS198LF is the way to go for a truck gun. Very accurate, light weight, lots of rounds and easy to carry/conceal if you have to abandon your vehicle. I carry a G42 or sometimes a G43X on my person but have really considered my Ruger 5.7 as my truck gun instead of an AR or AK.

I want the PSA Rock with 407k combo and 23 round mags are nothing to sneeze at.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Get the PSA Rock 5.7 because it has the best grip amongst the pistols available, and it's the least expensive gun, with additional 23rd magazines only 19.99. With PSA now selling their AAC 5.7 ammo for 25-30$ for 50rds, it makes it easier to justify shooting it more often. You can buy a Rock 5.7 with an included 407k Holosun for 599, which doesn't even get the guns only with the S&W and Ruger models. FN is not even in the running when it comes to the prices of the PSA, S&W and Ruger.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
personally, no. I like the idea of it, but I can't imagine needing an expensive to feed, huge pistol with maybe some soft armor piercing needs. If I already stocked the round for something else? Maybe. and while cool, the rifles in this round don't make sense to me without a giggle switch.
View Quote

"Needing" has nothing whatsoever to do with "wanting".  

Having said that, having a pistol that shoots flat out to, & past, 100 yards is nothing to ignore, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

FN is not even in the running when it comes to the prices of the PSA, S&W and Ruger.
View Quote

I would love to see a ransom rest test of all four brands. See which one is the top dog in the accuracy department?
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get the PSA Rock 5.7 because it has the best grip amongst the pistols available, and it's the least expensive gun, with additional 23rd magazines only 19.99. With PSA now selling their AAC 5.7 ammo for 25-30$ for 50rds, it makes it easier to justify shooting it more often. You can buy a Rock 5.7 with an included 407k Holosun for 599, which doesn't even get the guns only with the S&W and Ruger models. FN is not even in the running when it comes to the prices of the PSA, S&W and Ruger.
View Quote

How is the grip size vs let's say a USP P2000 or even a standard 1911?

Theor AAC ammo goes oit of stock right after I get alerts saying it's back :(
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#20]
OP - where are you in Pa?
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Hard pass , super fast 40 gr projectiles out of a pistol.......
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lancaster County.

Almost ordered the PSA Rock5.7 last night, but stopped myself lol
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Lancaster County.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lancaster County.

Have you had a chance to handle the different brands and compare them?

BTW, your user name is not checking out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Have you had a chance to handle the different brands and compare them?

BTW, your user name is not checking out.
View Quote

Have not handled any 5.7 pistols
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I ordered the PSA Rock 5.7. Hope I like it lol
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I look forward to your report on it.

I love this caliber!
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I have FN 5.7 IOM and 2 PSA Rocks

I prefer the rock tbh…..if you already have a bunch of ammo like some of us then it’s an amazing pistol I don’t think you’ll regret it. The Holosun red dot are great for them.

Really hard to beat the rock price point with all the added features. I have the FDE optics cut, threaded barrel , carry cuts ,suppressor height sites. Been shooting it quite a bit. The rounds tend to yaw and fragment in flesh , high capacity at 23 rounds. It’s a nasty round to be certain. I would not compare it to a .22 mag it’s far more reliable and much more lethal. It shoots extremely flat and very accurate. I doubt you would regret buying one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I have no experience with either of those guns. A 1911 style gun is something I've never owned and only shot once more than 20yrs ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How is the grip size vs let's say a USP P2000 or even a standard 1911?

Theor AAC ammo goes oit of stock right after I get alerts saying it's back :(
View Quote

I have no experience with either of those guns. A 1911 style gun is something I've never owned and only shot once more than 20yrs ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I plan to pick up the Rock eventually, waiting on ammo to be a little more available.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm in Montgomery county. I bought one last month. It's a laser and ridiculously fun to shoot! You'll love it!
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm in Montgomery county. I bought one last month. It's a laser and ridiculously fun to shoot! You'll love it!
View Quote

Awesome! They shipped it to my FFL then FFL told them another address so now it is finally reshipping this week
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Finally picked it up today
https://imgur.com/a/XaK0Y9N
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, what do you think?
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#35]
I used to have an FN 5.7, but got tired of feeling like I had to scrounge to end up with the second rate civilian ammo as the ammo the 5.7's were designed for was restricted to law enforcement only.  The ammo that I was left being "allowed" to purchase just didn't have enough of anything special for me to justify staying with the ammo/system.  Plus ammo was expensive, and reloading for the 5.7 is rather difficult.

The 5.7 was very accurate and fun to shoot, it just didn't do anything special or fill any need I felt I wanted so I sold it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I got to shoot a S&W 5.7 this weekend. I've not shot one before and didn't quite know what recoil impulse to expect. It was like shooting a .22 I believe the magazine held 23 rounds. I can definitely see the allure.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Every person that has shot a FN 5.7 or PS90 in my presence has loved shooting them. The lack of recoil and accuracy really impresses people. My PS90 with a can on it is always a big hit. The low recoil, accuracy, and quietness makes people want to shoot a lot more. That is until they find out a full magazine is $34-60. That is the biggest detractor.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So, what do you think?
View Quote

Grip being too long seems to be exaggerated unless someone has tiny hands. No, I don't have giant hands.
Should be shooting it on Sunday
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Broke it in yesterday. Ran a couple mags through it as is and then I put my Oculus 22 can on it. It ran flawless in both configurations. Very easy to shoot. Smooth.
Ran AE ammo through it. I'll have to try some subsonic next time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#41]
What version did you order? I'm leaning towards the green/black, threaded with the 407k combo. I already have a SS Sparrow that is 5.7 rated and a 407k on another pistol (43X) so should be familiar.

My only hold up is that I already have a Ruger 57 and I hardly shoot it, have no desire to put a red dot on it due to the plate system and it'll sit pretty high, but, I'm told that the PSA mags will run in the Ruger and maybe the other way around so that'll be nice. I could be easily wrong on that. I like the Ruger but I don't love the Ruger.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What version did you order? I'm leaning towards the green/black, threaded with the 407k combo. I already have a SS Sparrow that is 5.7 rated and a 407k on another pistol (43X) so should be familiar.

My only hold up is that I already have a Ruger 57 and I hardly shoot it, have no desire to put a red dot on it due to the plate system and it'll sit pretty high, but, I'm told that the PSA mags will run in the Ruger and maybe the other way around so that'll be nice. I could be easily wrong on that. I like the Ruger but I don't love the Ruger.
View Quote

I bought the FDE/Black w/407K dot. I just can't get into using a dot on a pistol so I will likely either put the 407K on my 1301 Tactical or just sell it in favor of another dot for said 1301.
If you already have the Ruger, no sense in buying the PSA IMO.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#45]
I was in a fun store over the weekend and they had the FN, Ruger, and S+W all standing up side by side in the case. The S+W was noticeably skinnier than the other two. Plus it had the threaded barrel.

Has anybody had any experience between the PSA and S+W to share pros and cons.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yep, here is a copy of a post comparing 5.7 pistols

S&W

PROS

Best trigger pull by far
Slimmest Grip
Lowest Recoil
Easy to install a Dot Sight (RMRc footprint)
Easy to use safety
Holds 22 rounds in the magazine

CONS

Jamming issue!!!!! Probably Magazine Related FIXED
Will not feed Federal American Eagle reliability (ammo is CRAP, manufactured by Fiocchi)
Screws are a BITCH to find for mounting the DOT sight (6-32 x 1/2”) See comment below

PSA Rock

PROS

Relatively Inexpensive (Each one of mine was $599 SHIPPED w/10 magazines)
Available in colors
Low Recoil
Comfortable grip (more so than the S&W) Has palm swells
Holds 23 rounds in the magazine
Runs reliably
Easy to install a Dot Sight RMRc footprint
Uses Glock 17 sights

CONS

You MUST shorten the HOLOSUN screws
NO Safety available

Ruger 57

PROS

BEST looking
Will take PSA Rock magazines
Sights are decent
Magazine holds 20 rounds
GREAT Safety

CONS

ABSOLUTELY the WORST magazine release of ALL, even if you install the extended release
The Dot Sight mounts on TOP of the slide
Easily the WORST 5.7 pistol on the market!!!

FN MK II

PROS

DEAD ASS RELIABLE
Magazine holds 20 rounds
Has a Safety
Easy takedown
First readily available 5.7 pistol

CONS

HARD to mound a Dot sight
Replacement sights are EXPENSIVE
SOME shooters dislike the Safety position

FN MK III MRD

PROS

Easy to mount a DOT sight (RMR footprint)|
If you liked the FN MK II, you will LOVE the MK III
DEAD ASS RELIABLE
Has a Safety
Easy Takedown
You can use MK II magazines with a SLIGHT modification

CONS

Dated design

My collection…

https://i.imgur.com/uEphlfh.jpg
View Quote

THANKS!
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yep, here is a copy of a post comparing 5.7 pistols

S&W

PROS

Best trigger pull by far
Slimmest Grip
Lowest Recoil
Easy to install a Dot Sight (RMRc footprint)
Easy to use safety
Holds 22 rounds in the magazine

CONS

Jamming issue!!!!! Probably Magazine Related FIXED
Will not feed Federal American Eagle reliability (ammo is CRAP, manufactured by Fiocchi)
Screws are a BITCH to find for mounting the DOT sight (6-32 x 1/2”) See comment below

PSA Rock

PROS

Relatively Inexpensive (Each one of mine was $599 SHIPPED w/10 magazines)
Available in colors
Low Recoil
Comfortable grip (more so than the S&W) Has palm swells
Holds 23 rounds in the magazine
Runs reliably
Easy to install a Dot Sight RMRc footprint
Uses Glock 17 sights

CONS

You MUST shorten the HOLOSUN screws
NO Safety available

Ruger 57

PROS

BEST looking
Will take PSA Rock magazines
Sights are decent
Magazine holds 20 rounds
GREAT Safety

CONS

ABSOLUTELY the WORST magazine release of ALL, even if you install the extended release
The Dot Sight mounts on TOP of the slide
Easily the WORST 5.7 pistol on the market!!!

FN MK II

PROS

DEAD ASS RELIABLE
Magazine holds 20 rounds
Has a Safety
Easy takedown
First readily available 5.7 pistol

CONS

HARD to mound a Dot sight
Replacement sights are EXPENSIVE

FN MK III MRD

PROS

Easy to mount a DOT sight (RMR footprint)|
If you liked the FN MK II, you will LOVE the MK III
DEAD ASS RELIABLE
Has a Safety
Easy Takedown
You can use MK II magazines with a SLIGHT modification

CONS

Dated design

My collection…

https://i.imgur.com/uEphlfh.jpg
View Quote

What? I did not have to shorten any screws to install my 407K
Also, the AE ammo is not "crap" Many of us run it. My PS90 & Rock eat it without issue
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What? I did not have to shorten any screws to install my 407K
Also, the AE ammo is not "crap" Many of us run it. My PS90 & Rock eat it without issue
View Quote

Yeah, I don't buy much AE ammo but I have never had an issue with it in any 5.7 chambered gun I've owned, multiple pistols and PS90.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top