Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 5:27:13 AM EDT
Here’s the scoop, I’m pretty much a 9mm kind of guy and I have an itch to buy a new handgun. No specific purpose in mind, just want something new and different from what I currently have (which is primarily polymer 9mm’s). Even though I want something different, I’d still like to stick with a 9mm for right now (I can see the whole 1911 thing getting real expensive, really fast!) so I narrowed my list down to about 3-4 models.

One of the models on my short list is the FN\Browning Hi-Power. Reason being it’s the classic 9mm and everything I’ve read about them is glowing. How great they shoot, how good they look, how well they are built and how reliable they are. Seems like nobody has a bad thing to say about them. Then I find out that CDNN has some really good deals on FN marked HP’s. I’m not real crazy about the finish on the CDNN FN’s but the real issue is…

I never had the chance to really handle or shoot a Hi-Power until yesterday when I went shooting with a couple of guys from work. One of the guys happens to have a BHP and he let me take it for a spin. The very first mag I ran through it I end up shooting what is probably the tightest group of my life! A few more magazines worth of lead down range all produce very good groups. It was 100% reliable. The controls were a little off for me but the gun did fit my hand reasonably well.

Ordinarily, I would say it was a hit and would immediately start the process of trying to acquire one but here’s the rub. Even though everything is pointing to that fact that I should buy one, the Hi-Power just leaves me flat. Yes it fit, but it didn’t feel that great in my hand. Shooting it wasn’t any big thrill (tight groups and all) and aesthetically, they look like the 1911’s ugly cousin to me. They just don’t do a damn thing for me? The more I think about it, the less interested I am in buying one. I just can’t see spending $400-$600 on something that leaves me that cold?

So does that make me nuts or what?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:33:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Nah not nuts, just not your thing. Sigs are awesome weapons, but I feel the same way about them. Same with Glock, again awesome weapons but just do not really care for em, though I will have to buy one once I go into the academy as they are required. They can be excellent weapons, but if they are not eye pleasing to YOU and do not fit your hand thats the way it goes. I can understand completely how you feel. Lots of firearms that I think are great weapons, but completely dislike them for once reason or another, and enough to make be completely uninterested them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:40:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you ever shot a CZ75 ?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:48:40 AM EDT
[#3]
A couple of things:

The factory flat grip panels leave a lot to be desired in the "feel" category.  When replaced with a nice set of aftermarket grips that are contoured to match the gun, it's night and day.

As for the looks, they will grow on you, especially if you are used to viewing the 1911 as the pinnacle of aesthetic perfection.  You can hasten the process by viewing photos of customized High Powers.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nah not nuts, just not your thing. Sigs are awesome weapons, but I feel the same way about them. Same with Glock, again awesome weapons but just do not really care for em, though I will have to buy one once I go into the academy as they are required. They can be excellent weapons, but if they are not eye pleasing to YOU and do not fit your hand thats the way it goes. I can understand completely how you feel. Lots of firearms that I think are great weapons, but completely dislike them for once reason or another, and enough to make be completely uninterested them.

Glad to hear its not just me. Funny you should mention Sigs. They are also on the short list but may fall into the same category for me as well? I had a P220ST and sold it because I didn't work well for me. I was thinking about getting one of the CPO P226's but it has the same trigger as the P220 and I'm afraid I'll get the same results? So now I'm considering getting a P226 DAK instead thinking maybe my results will be different with the newer DAO trigger but I haven't found one locally to try.

Quoted:
Have you ever shot a CZ75 ?

No I haven't but they are also on my list of possibilities. CZ's are another weapon that I've read a ton of good things about. One problem is nobody around here carries them. One local shop did have a slightly used P-01 (which is the one I'm specifically interested in). It fit my hand great and felt awesome but this dealer wanted what I consider too much for a used CZ (~$485).

The last 9mm on the list is a Kahr T9. It's another handgun with a great reputation. I like that fact that it is a smaller weapon that would be very good for CCW work but yet has a full size grip. The shop I was at yesterday had one and It felt really good in my hand. I would say it compares fairly close in size and weight to a commander size 1911. (the Kahr being a little smaller and maybe lighter?). This gun has been slowly creeping towards first place in my mind out of this list.

Quoted:
The factory flat grip panels leave a lot to be desired in the "feel" category. When replaced with a nice set of aftermarket grips that are contoured to match the gun, it's night and day.

My friends HP that I shot yesterday was a matte nickle target model with the pachmayr grips. I have held an HP with the flat panel grips and do agree, they are the worst. I have seen some custom HP's that were pretty nice but I think if I was going to buy a new gun to customize I would just go the 1911 route.

Custom 1911 route is the last of the options I'm kicking around. I've got an itch for a commander sized 1911 with a bobtail treatment. I handled a few Ed Browns setup that way and oh my god they were SWEET!

You know, same old story...Too many nice guns, not enough money!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#5]
My first semi-auto was a BHP and so they are one of my nostalgic favs. That said, if the gun doesn't trip your trigger, don't buy it. Since you say you like 9mm and are looking at 1911s, look at a 9mm 1911. I checked out at Para 1911 in 9mm at last weekends gun show. I know Kimber and Springfield also make 9mm 1911s. You can even order a Wilson Premier 2 in 9mm if you are willing to mortgage the house($2000?). The Para was around$700-$800 depending on the model. Historically, 1911s in 9mm have had reliability problems but they seem to be much improved of late based on a few friends who have new ones and love 'em.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 for the CZ75.  They have similar ergonomics to the BHP.  Got mine barely used for $300.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Nobody's mentioned the FN FNC yet. It's like the BHP younger brother.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yeah, those are sweet!

What are we talking about?

Oh yes, keep looking for a good cz-75 or p-01 at a decent price. Many improvements have been made on steel 9's since the Hi-Power came along.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
For a tool to crawl around in the sewers with, give me a Glock any day. Otherwise, for sport use, I still like and prefer the 1911 and the BHP. The HP, to me, actually feels better than the 1911, but...as noted by ken_mays...only when fitted with properly contiured grips. (I use the Navidrex black micarta on mine and love them) Sorry, but I cannot conceive of a handgun fan who does not think that the Colt SA, the Colt Python, a well done 1911, and a nice Hi Power are not aesthetically pleasing! Now my Glocks...they would fit that description for sure!

Some pretty good info and reading here...

Well I love the look of a custom 1911 but, at least aesthetically, I prefer S&W revo over Python.
I was checking out the Yost-Bonitz site today and they do some nice work on BHP but they sure aren't giving away their services are they? I haven't written the BHP off yet but I may have to scratch my 1911 itch first. BTW - thanks for the link, I've been reading and lurking over there for a couple of days

Quoted:

Huh? You mean this?...

Hell yeah I'd be more than happy with one of those!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#12]
You said you prefer others, but I suggest looking in the thread below. I just had to post it as I'm not a fan of the smaller versions of this particular type of pistol, but this one's calling me. .

Check it out.

ETA: HP's are great, but it's one of the many pistols I won't buy, because I simply don't like it. It is kind of fugly but cool in it's own way, but the way it feels is what kills it for me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#13]
imo, nickel or the brushed chrome/gold trigger look very ugly to me.  The poly coat MkIII is just about right.  Except that i signed it over to my wife.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:52:30 PM EDT
[#14]
You aint right in the head.  That simple.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:30:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Go with the Hi Power or CZ. I have a CZ P01 and it is a fantastic pistol. The guy trying to sell you a used one for almost $500 is out of his mind. I paid about $450 NIB. The P01 is the most comfortable pistol I have ever had. The draw back to them is you need to get some snap caps and dry fire the day lights out of it to smooth the trigger up or send it to a smith that works on CZs and I replaced my hammer spring with the 17lb one. Now it is grreat. I recomend one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:55:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Knowing how much you like BHP's, I expected something like that from you

Quoted:
...The P01 is the most comfortable pistol I have ever had. The draw back to them is you need to get some snap caps and dry fire the day lights out of it to smooth the trigger...

Do you need to use snap caps on CZ's? I dry fire all of my center-fire weapons without snap caps but is there something about the CZ design that would allow me to damage it by dry-firing it without snap caps?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, those are sweet!

What are we talking about?

Oh yes, keep looking for a good cz-75 or p-01 at a decent price. Many improvements have been made on steel 9's since the Hi-Power came along.

Sorry...typo. The FNP. Also marketed as the "Browning Pro"

i.e. this one:

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Knowing how much you like BHP's, I expected something like that from you

Proof:

Quoted:
The very first mag I ran through it I end up shooting what is probably the tightest group of my life! A few more magazines worth of lead down range all produce very good groups. It was 100% reliable. The controls were a little off for me but the gun did fit my hand reasonably well.

That isnt good enough?  What do you want, the 1st mag to be orgasmic?  Them to issue you a $700 rebate for the purchase of one FN Hi-Power?  It to get you chicks?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
...The P01 is the most comfortable pistol I have ever had. The draw back to them is you need to get some snap caps and dry fire the day lights out of it to smooth the trigger...

Do you need to use snap caps on CZ's? I dry fire all of my center-fire weapons without snap caps but is there something about the CZ design that would allow me to damage it by dry-firing it without snap caps?

Thanks

I always use them just foe piece of mind. Not every one uses them. The CZs from what I understand do not have to have snap caps now.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
That isnt good enough?  What do you want, the 1st mag to be orgasmic?

Well that first group did leave a stain on my pants

Seriously I think is was more luck then anything. The next few mags I ran through it grouped more like I'm use to but in fairness, I was rushing because we needed to get back to work for a meeting.

Regardless - You will be happy to read that I have already had my FFL fax a copy of his licence to CDNN. $400 is just good of a price to pass up and after looking at some of the BHP's on the Yost-Bonitz site, little Willey is more interested now too!

Quoted:
...to issue you a $700 rebate for the purchase of one FN Hi-Power?

BTW - Do you have a link or coupon code for that rebate?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Congrats. I want a Hi-Power, but I'll pretty much going to stick to the Sig manual of arms since it's what  used to and comfortable with. Allows my muscle memory to remain unchecked and unchanged through and entire handgun collection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top