Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 10:03:19 AM EDT
Not 21 yet so I have to limit it to local sales and cant rent from a gunshop. Im really interested in a 9mm sig, probably the p228. I would use it for daily carry in a couple months so Im leaning towards the compact. Ive used a variety of pistols in the past including glocks, 1911s, and wheelguns but would like something new. Without ever even holding one, what advice can you give me as far as the 9mm sigs?

And obviously the first chance I get firing one I will to help my decision
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Fine choice.  

Personally, I prefer the 226 over the 228 but that is just me, either one is reliable, accurate and light enough for all day carry.  If you have really small hands a 225 or 239 might be a better choice with their single stack magazines.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Not 21 yet so I have to limit it to local sales and cant rent from a gunshop. Im really interested in a 9mm sig, probably the p228. I would use it for daily carry in a couple months so Im leaning towards the compact. Ive used a variety of pistols in the past including glocks, 1911s, and wheelguns but would like something new. Without ever even holding one, what advice can you give me as far as the 9mm sigs?

The P228 is a heckuva better choice than a lot of pistols picked by first time pistol owners. You're not going to have to trade up like some that got Taurus 92s and the like.

Stand by for the Glock hordes trying to convince you that the Glock is the only true pistol.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I know its a personal choice, but is there really any difference between the 226 and the 228? It looks like the 226 holds an extra 5 rounds with only .7 inch length and .5 inch height difference. As in the glocks case, I prefer the 19 for its more compact shape over the fullsize counterparts. Is the size difference between the sigs similar?

ETA: the whole debate for me on the size is for its ease of carry
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Stand by for the Glock hordes trying to convince you that the Glock is the only true pistol.

wganz

Glocks aren't 'the only true pistol' but there's nothing wrong with them.

As far as a Sig, I own a P220 and it is fine weapon.  Magazines are widely available.  I took a CCW course at Sigarms Academy here in NH and had a great time.  I carry it in the fall, winter and spring and switch to a smaller pistol for the summer.  You could carry your 228 year-round.

Whichever Sig you get, I would recommend Hogue grips.  Make sure you get new production high quality 9mm ammo for it, like Speer Gold Dot, etc. if you are going to carry.

Good luck with your final choice.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The P228 is a heckuva better choice than a lot of pistols picked by first time pistol owners. You're not going to have to trade up like some that got Taurus 92s and the like.

wganz

Glock mafia reporting
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#6]
SIG 228 is a good choice!

My only SIG is a 220, but my friend has a 228 and I really enjoy the fit and feel...and how it shoots.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have the $$$ why not?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
You won't be disappointed with a Sig.  I have a 229 in .40, but I find it a little heavy and uncomfortable for CCW.  I carry a Kahr PM9 and sometimes a Walther P99.  The Kahr weighs 14 oz unloaded and is very comfortable to carry.  Not trying to peddle either of these guns, just giving you something to consider for CCW.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#9]
www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

Download the maunal, they have Police trade-ins on sig's for cheap.  Most the pistols have only holster wear and dam near were never shot.

Find a local FFL that will do the transfer for around $20, and burn the pistol to the ground by shooting several hundred thousands ofrounds threw it by the money that you will save over buying a complete new unit (read even a new pistol is  going to get scratch anyway so don't let the sear both you).

www.forthehunt.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp

Welcome to the club!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

Download the maunal, they have Police trade-ins on sig's for cheap.  Most the pistols have only holster wear and dam near were never shot.

Find a local FFL that will do the transfer for around $20, and burn the pistol to the ground by shooting several hundred thousands ofrounds threw it by the money that you will save over buying a complete new unit (read even a new pistol is  going to get scratch anyway so don't let the sear both you).

www.forthehunt.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp

Welcome to the club!!!

Yeah those are great deals from cdnn and would have bought one already. Unfortunately Im not 21 yet so cant go through an FFL, so Ill just keep my eyes open on the Florida exchange and other sites.

Oh and I was hoping the hogue grips would go well with the sig. I really liked them on another gun I tried, but I know they dont go well with every gun.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Cant go wrong with the Sig, bought a p220 for my first pistol and I love it
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Great choice....my first duty gun was a Sig P228 w/ night sights....I always qualified in the mid to high 290's (out of 300) with it.  My short fingers required the short trigger.

My agency now issues either the Sig P229 (with I carry) or the P239 in .40S&W.

I think any Sig centerfire handgun is a gem of a gun.  I'd love to get a P245 as a CCW.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I've carried most anything you can imagine in 20 some years, including that Taurus 92 clone (crap). I have carried a USP 45 for most of the last ten years. I bought a used police trade-in P228 that I traced back the history on. It was a Secret Service P228. It was one of the most reliable, accurate pistols I've ever owned. I carried the 228 on "light" days, when I felt I didn't the full protection of the .45 round. I sold it to a buddy on the Maricopa Sheriff's Dept. He traded it for a NIB G19 w/many LEO mags- silly man. It was a nice shooter.

I sold off the USP's and now carry a P220 all the time, every day. No problem with concealing it if you do it right and know what you are doing. Heck, I carried the USP45 in AZ year round and I carried a G27 as a backup every day.

Go with the Sig. You won't be unhappy with it.

BTW, I was on the Grock train way back in 1989 and carried them until 1995 - when I got the HK's. I had a whole flock of Glocks.

ETA: I have the Hogue rubber grips on my P220, as well. I love them way better than plastic. I added a strip of grip tape on the front of the grip. Keeps it from slipping with sweaty hands.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Fine choice.  

Personally, I prefer the 226 over the 228 but that is just me, either one is reliable, accurate and light enough for all day carry.  If you have really small hands a 225 or 239 might be a better choice with their single stack magazines.

+1
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the good words guys. First chance I get Im gonna pick one up. Hopefully one will come along shortly for a good price
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Sig's are great pistols. I carry a 220 or a 226.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree with everyone else, Sigs are excellent---But since you are soliciting opinions, heres mine   Maybe consider a new .22 auto (of whatever flavor) and a NICE used .357 revolver---for roughly the same price as the Sig.  Would give you good basic handgun skills, and about the time you have mastered them, you could have saved up for the Sig.
But, if you got to have the Sig, you got to have it.
My 2 cents
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I agree with everyone else, Sigs are excellent---But since you are soliciting opinions, heres mine   Maybe consider a new .22 auto (of whatever flavor) and a NICE used .357 revolver---for roughly the same price as the Sig.  Would give you good basic handgun skills, and about the time you have mastered them, you could have saved up for the Sig.
My 2 cents

Sorry I forgot to mention that I do in fact have a MKI .22 target pistol that my father handed down to me. I havent used it much lately but I have put quite a few bricks of ammo through it and have become rather proficient with it. I felt that I was ready to take the next step up and thats why I decided on the 9mm. Easy round to control and cheap enough to where a student such as myself can afford to use it on a regular basis. Ive shot all the common calibers including .40 .45 and .357 and just felt that the 9mm was my best option at this time. Thanks for the tip though, Im just one step ahead of you already
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My 2 cents

Sorry I forgot to mention that I do in fact have a MKI .22 target pistol that my father handed down to me. I havent used it much lately but I have put quite a few bricks of ammo through it and have become rather proficient with it. I felt that I was ready to take the next step up and thats why I decided on the 9mm. Easy round to control and cheap enough to where a student such as myself can afford to use it on a regular basis. Ive shot all the common calibers including .40 .45 and .357 and just felt that the 9mm was my best option at this time. Thanks for the tip though, Im just one step ahead of you already

So----this is NOT your first handgun then!!!OK, well, then carry on
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
My 2 cents

So----this is NOT your first handgun then!!!OK, well, then carry on

You caught me

I meant the first handgun that will feel more like a punch if shot by it
Its a step up from the gun that feels like a girl in 1st grade pinching you I guess.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#22]
If it ain't made in the USA it's junk. Get something like a Lorcin
J/K the Sig is a fine choice
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#23]
SIGs have the best DA trigger out there imo

they are nice shooters

i would opt for the P-228
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#25]
My first pistol was a P229. NO REGRETS.

This is the finest pistol I've ever had the privelage of holding, let alone OWNING.

Anything else will be a dissapointment so.... make sure you understand that before committing to a SIG
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#26]
the first pistol I bought was a Sig 226 9mm nice... ahem very very nice shooter indeed no regrets
cant got wrong and no one can tell you its a bad choice. just pick what feels the best to you and practice, practice, practice, as a matter of fact check out CDNN.com and the money you save spend on ammo and minium of 5 mags
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I pack my P228 almost every day, and it is a fine CCW weapon.  Sigs are outstanding pistols.  

Go here for more info.  

Ordnance Outsellers also has very good prices on Certified PreOwned Sigs, slightly higher than CDNN, but slighly nicer in appearance too.  I have seen and shot many CDNN sigs though, and aside from the nightsights being dim, they are great.  Sigs (much like Glocks and HK's) are VERY tough pistols, with a strong worldwide military heritage.  It's almost impossible to wear one out.  My first pistol was a Ruger P97 in .45, and the first good deal I found on a P220 I jumped on, and have been a Sigophile ever since, with NO regrets.  I bought my P228 during the AWB period, when P228's were being produced new for the .gov only and used ones were tough to find.  I paid WAY too much by todays price standards for it.  I don't give a lick.  Its accurate, reliable, and damn good looking to boot (two tone awww yeaa).  I've got so many other Sigs on the wish list right now its silly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Rust

I'd go for the 229 9mm
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#29]
i too am in the same exact situation.. im 20 and turn 21 in may '06. i have decided on gettin a SIG P228 or P229 but i am leaning towards the P229 in 9mm. in may i plan on visiting the local range and testing out the 229, 228, and HK USP 9mm to see what fits and i like better.

i also plan on getting one of thoes walther P22 simply because i love them.

you can bet that i will be lurking the equipment exchange handgun forum and help a fellow ar15.com member get rid of a few extras.

so future salesmans remember my name!!!  :) :)
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#30]
If you get a P229, get a .40.  No reason to have a heavier wider gun than a P228 unless you want to shoot the .40SW and .357sig rounds.  And Barsto makes a barrel to convert .40 229's to 9mm also, so you could have one gun that shot all three calibers.  If you are dead set on 9mm and don't care about converting it, get a P228, they are a bit lighter and balanced perfectly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top