Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 7:02:44 PM EDT
I'm looking to put together a list of left-handed or left friendly pistols.  My requirements are that all controls (slide release, mag release, safety, etc.) can be manipulated without comprimising my grip.

Here is what I have so far:
CZ 85
HK P2000
Colt SAA (and clones)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:16:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a lefty and partial to glocks.  I don't know what your definition of comprimising your grip is.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
My Ruger P-85
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:44:47 AM EDT
[#3]
H&K P7 series
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:58:15 AM EDT
[#4]
my 4006 smith isnt too bad
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm a lefty and partial to glocks.  I don't know what your definition of comprimising your grip is.

Unless something has changed, the mag & slide release on Glock pistols was designed for right handed shooters.  Therefore, I would have to "work around" these shortcomings to manipulate the controls.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#6]
HK USP . I use my index LH finger to hit the slide release and middle finger for the mag release.  The P2000 seems just as good from handling it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm a lefty and I have always wanted to see someone make a pistol that ejects to the left.  Anyway, I have learned to manipulate the slide release and safety on my pistols with my index finger.  I'll give a +1 to the HK USP.

I also really like the Walther P99 and any other pistol without an external safety.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless something has changed, the mag & slide release on Glock pistols was designed for right handed shooters.  Therefore, I would have to "work around" these shortcomings to manipulate the controls.

the glock is the perfect pistol for the left handed shooter. it is easier to shoot a glock left handed then right handed and manilupate the controls.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Walther P88. Has the same slide release as a HK P2000.
Beretta 92. You would need to change the mag release to the right side.

HK P7 is still the king of  fully ambidextrous handguns in my book.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm a lefty and I have always wanted to see someone make a pistol that ejects to the left.  

You're in luck.  The Walther P5 ejects to the left and www.southernohiogun.com/ has them for $460.  I bought one a couple months ago and it has quickly become my favorite carry gun.

Otherwise, a few manufacturers have made left-handed 1911s (Randall, Dlask, Caspian, Rocky Mountain Arms).  If you can find one, it will cost $2k+.  Last I heard, Caspian still has a few, Dlask was starting production this summer, Randall went out of business in the mid 80s, and I'm not sure about Rocky Mountain Arms.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I find it very easy to use my Glock 17 left handed. The CZ85 is a great pistol however so you may want to get that( I have the CZ75b and it works great).
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#12]
It can sometimes be faster to operate the pistol's controls left handed.  I know it is easier for me to operate the slide release and mag release left handed on a 1911 than for some right handed people.  My grip is not really affected at all whereas most right handers need to shift the pistol to reach those controls.  I do need an ambi thumb safety installed though.  Don't get so obsessed with a "true left" handed pistol.  Some designs are not very hard or difficult to adapt to.  I don't care for the Sig line as the controls are tough to reach for a left hander.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm left-handed.

IMO, a 1911 with ambi safety is the ultimate left-handed gun.

It's easier for me to operate the slide release and mag release on my 1911 with my left hand than my right. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:18:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I've never met a pistol I couldn't shoot left handed j/k however the mag release is a different story I find much easier to use my index finger than my thumb (righthanded) as far as the slide release I don't use that any way can't do it with the finger (left) cant do it with the thumb(right)normally I just round count then drop the mag.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#15]
The XD has an ambi mag release.  That's about the only control you need to worry about, if you use the slingshot method to chamber a round from slide lock.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm a lefty and I have always wanted to see someone make a pistol that ejects to the left.  

www.southernohiogun.com/images/walp5pop.jpg
You're in luck.  The Walther P5 ejects to the left and www.southernohiogun.com/ has them for $460.  I bought one a couple months ago and it has quickly become my favorite carry gun.

Otherwise, a few manufacturers have made left-handed 1911s (Randall, Dlask, Caspian, Rocky Mountain Arms).  If you can find one, it will cost $2k+.  Last I heard, Caspian still has a few, Dlask was starting production this summer, Randall went out of business in the mid 80s, and I'm not sure about Rocky Mountain Arms.

Thanks Jim, I'll look into it.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#17]
HK P7/psp variant. 100% ambi.

HK P2000 100% ambi

Bersa 9mm, 40 and .45 pistols (dont laugh) 100% ambi
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I've seen pictures of the Falcon Portsideer, I'm not sure they are still in business, but they made a 1911 that is a mirror image of a rightie 1911 in SS.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Why discount revolvers. They are "wheel" guns as well. Sorry I could not help myself.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why discount revolvers. They are "wheel" guns as well. Sorry I could not help myself.

The Ruger Vaquero (and other Colt SAA clones) are perfectly designed for left handed shooters.  We can operate all the controls (to include loading and unloading) without ever changing hands or compromising our grip.....just hope there aren't more than 6 bad guys.

I always like S&W revolvers, at least before the sellout, but don't like having to switch hands to reload.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#21]
ambi safety 1911
Sprinfield XDs
Shorty revolvers
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't use the slide release and have always used my middle finget to eject mags, thus, the confusion.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I have always used my middle finget to eject mags, thus, the confusion.

I have tried using the middle finger but it’s too awkward for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top