Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 5:30:58 PM EDT
Hey guys I need a little advice.

I currently have a Springfield XD40 Tactical and an XD40 SubCompact. I am interested in changing to a 9mm Glock 19. This weekend is the gun show and presents an opportunity to do so.

My wife has a nine millimeter and I am interested in switching for standardization's sake as well as cheaper ammo. My wife has shot my .40 and a friend's .45 and she likes neither. Since I have my CHL the 19 seems like the best compromise between portability and shootability.

Any advice or experience with the Glock 19 would be appreciated and your thoughts on trading as well.

96Ag

ETA: Is the Glock 19 a better choice for an all around pistol? Is being a one gun man enough or is the long and short pistol a better idea? I guess this is as much a philosophy question as a hardware question.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:42:20 AM EDT
[#1]
The Glock 19 will do everything you need with a tenifer coating. To each his own, but I'd say get a USP Compact in 9mm.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks,

I hadn't thought about the USP maybe I'll pick one of those up and see how it feels. One question, does the USPC have a rail that will hold my M3X?

96Ag
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the Glock myself.  The HK is a nice pistol too.  I would go with the Glock. I find a lot of women like the pistol as well.

Max
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ETA: Is the Glock 19 a better choice for an all around pistol? Is being a one gun man enough or is the long and short pistol a better idea? I guess this is as much a philosophy question as a hardware question.

The G19 can do it all. The compacts are not more compact in the area that matters -- ie width.

I have a G19 and a G26 and I never use the G26. The overwhelming majority of the time if I can't conceal the G19 I can't conceal the G26 either. Then I have to use a BUG (Colt Mustang).

If you want to go smaller, go MUCH smaller.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks,

I hadn't thought about the USP maybe I'll pick one of those up and see how it feels. One question, does the USPC have a rail that will hold my M3X?

96Ag

Yes, the USP9c does have a light rail but you will need an adapter for it to attach the M3X.  GG&G makes one for around $40 or so.

As an owner of a USP9c and a G19 I'd say skip the H&K and buy the 19.  The H&K is nice but I don't like the high bore axis and long heavy trigger pull.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#6]
not to mention if you install the light adaptor you'll never find a holster that fits.

Go with the glock 19.  There isn't a more versitile handgun made.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#7]
i got a glock 19 and sold all of my pistols for a colt le 6920

don't need them anymore, the first time i shot my glock 19 i instantely knew that i found my gun, its like it was made for me...its a match made in heaven her
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:14:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Some will consider this blasphemy, but I do not think the XD is in the same league with the Glocks as far as reliability and servicability is concerned. The grip safety alone is all I need to take a pass on it. Get the G19...you will be happy you did.

BLASPHEMER!!!! LOL I consider the XD in the same leage when it comes to reliability, accuracy and servicability also. The finish however is another story. Glocks is better hands down. I have both and prefer my Glock but if you get the XD go stainless unless you do not mind buying a pistol and then mailing it off to SA to get it finished again with a better finish. Glocks come with one.

Edit: Spelling
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies.

Khan, that is one thing I have found about my XD40SC the damn thing has to be oiled every other day to keep from getting rust spots. I carry every day and it is getting a little tiresome.

I was hoping I could get a new kydex piece for my Tucker Gunleather "Answer" holster, but I spoke with Rob yesterday and that is a no go. I give lie to the old saw that you will have a box full of discarded holsters. The Answer is the first and only holster I have ever had for concealed carry.

I guess if I can trade my SC for a 19 I'll just buy another holster.

96Ag
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know much about the XD, except that the local gun shops really push them, but the Glock 19 is hard to beat.  I don't quite have the love and affection that EternalVigilance has for his 19, but the pistol does have a lot going for it:  compact, reliable, inexpensive, durable, light, fast, high capacity and accurate enough.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This weekend is the gun show and presents an opportunity to do so.

Just out of curiosity, what gunshow are you going to this weekend? I'll be hittin' up the SAXET show in Austin.

I'm planning on getting a G19 soon as well.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

To each his own, but I'd say get a USP Compact in 9mm.

+1

You just can't beat H&K.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

You just can't beat H&K.

+2

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I say Glock 19.  It's one hell of a pistol.
Glock 19 or p228 for compact 9mm's
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This weekend is the gun show and presents an opportunity to do so.

Just out of curiosity, what gunshow are you going to this weekend? I'll be hittin' up the SAXET show in Austin.

I'm planning on getting a G19 soon as well.

Hopefully Saxet in Austin as well on Sunday, might have to punt to the next one though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#17]
If you can get a good deal on the Glock, do it. If not, just keep what you have and buy a Glock at your local dealer. If you are LE/Military you should be able to get one for less than 400.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

You just can't beat H&K.

+2

Aww well sure make it a:

+3
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Glock 19 is a great pistol all around. I love mine. I traded off a compact 1911 for it. I would definetly recommend a Glock 19 to anyone and everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top