Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2021 1:14:46 PM EDT
..and practicing because of the cost of ammo??

I reload my ammunition, but now primers are even more scarce. And paying $0.30 per primer is really insane!

I think that I have found a cool substitute.

Ammo Is So Expensive | Mantis Laser Academy

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#1]
My range trips have become very infrequent.

I did go last weekend after months of not shooting.  Shot 150 rounds of 9mm and a similar amount of .22.  Normally it all would have been 9mm.

I foresee .22 LR being the bulk of my shooting from now on though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Range time is nearly nonexistent, only dry fire practice.  I reload but don't want to deplete what I have.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
22 only.  I've got access to a good supply of 22.  But centerfire I'm rationing out.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope.  Still practicing just as much as previously.  I may cut back some on my long summer afternoon fun shooting this year.  But as for the regular drills and training with my carry gun, no change.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#5]
After moving out of the city, I was in the house on NYE and could have walked outside and popped off a few rounds at midnight, but didn't want to waste the ammo.  I let the neighbor up the street do it when he came out and did a mag dump with his AR.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Not even slowed down. I get out every couple weeks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Only because of winter weather along with doing other activities.

I dug my 5.45x39 upper out of back of safe, put on a extra lower I had and bought a LPVO for it. Plan to open up the spam cans soon.
Also have plenty of 22lr, suppressor and steel targets are fun.
Have crates of 7.62x54R if I get desperate.

Have not shot 556 or 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Fewer trips.
Use antiques more.
Trapdoors in .50-70 Govt., .45-70.

I have Unique loads for both.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I still shoot at least once a month
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#10]
No I only stopped shooting because of Covid, since I've been working 6 12-14 hour days every week. Unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Nope, sticking with the same schedule.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't changed my schedule. I picked up reloading in early 2020, and that has been holding me over. I saw the writing on the wall and bought a large bit of factory ammo for match use. Thankfully my reloads are gonna carry me along for training purposes for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I fired three rounds, about three yeas ago. That was the last time.

I saw this coming a long time ago.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm afraid to use up the components I have because I don't know when I will be able to replace them. I think it will be years before things are commonly available at reasonable prices again.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I still go once a week.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I shot last Sat for the first time in over a year.

.22mag, 10mm & 9mm got used. Only full box used was the .22mag ammo.

Like others, shooting down the road will be .22LR only, most likely.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I am retired now a year, retired at the right time with the chi flu, so thought I would have all the time to shoot....

I belong to a private range, 24/7 access and now my range trips are 1x week, in the morning, and I bring 30 rounds of 9mm and 40 rounds of 556....that is it

I am going to start shooting my .22's more....I have 5K rounds of .22 in storage

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#19]
From Sunday

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I stopped. Just don't have much to spare but I have been shooting all my life so I have had a lot of practice. I practice dry fire only now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Restrictions to group activities stopped all local competitions. I picked up some new hobbies since and don't shoot as often.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#22]
im going to do some blasting withan ITF trigger this weekend.
if i was gonna use a FA trigger by a boohoo company I would probably have a shitty time.
you know, the trigger company that has speshul engineers.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey man good demo, thank you. Just subbed to your channel. Did they happen to offer a coupon code?

@Real25WSSM
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Pretty much stopped. I no longer enjoy shooting when it's -10*, so the weather in Iowa was the reason for a long time, but now it is just not wanting to deplete my existing stash with no ability to replace it.

I reload and have plenty of components, but got caught with my pants down on primers and only have about 1k each of small pistol, small rifle, and large pistol.

Focusing on trading some pistols around, trying to sell off some other pistols,  and building some AR's.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Winter here in PA sucks, I have other hobbies but I belong to 2 gun clubs so spring I intend to go back to practice with the new toys I bought over the last few months.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I hadnt shot since 2017, so I’m just getting back into USPSA as a cheaper alternative to racing.

Racing cars is expensive. Like they say, want to make a million dollars racing cars? Start with a billion dollars.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:20:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Shooting: WAY down simple bc I can’t find small pistol and rifle primers to replenish stock.

Practicing: HELL NO. Absolutely not. Dry fire is free! Tape a playing card to the wall and now you have a point of reference. If you really want to set up an indoor range, air soft BB’s (and correctly weighted steel guns) are widely available, and you can practice 90% of the stuff that matters* by shooting into a piece of paper over a modified cardboard box stuffed w crumpled up newspaper. I frigging hate the M9, but I have a steel replica airs of M9 that I can shoot in my garage! Gonna get a Glock next when budget allows bc I like the results

*all that matters in good pistol marksmanship is sight picture (placement), sight alignment, and trigger squeeze. You could be doing a ninja cartwheel and if you have all 3 of those, you’re gonna get a good hit in the A Zone. Stable position and recoil management are next on the list, but generally not as important
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Haven't been in a couple months.  All this damn rain/snow/ice, working on the bathroom in the house (little closet expansion, sheet rock, door installation, painting, shelves, etc.  Then the back brakes on the truck (hate Chevys better idea of the big horse shoe spring for the rear drum brakes on the 2005 Silverado - but even they hated it because it looks like the later ones with drum brakes went back to the old design of the pins, coil spring and cups to hold the brake shoes on the backing plate).

I've got a new Shield 9MM that needs to be sighted in (replaced the sights already with ameriglo night sights) and functioned checked with the 115 grain hollow points so I can carry it when/if I feel the need.

Also have an AR15 that needs one more range trip to make me feel confidence in it running like it should.

Need to get the FNS-C .40 and the M&P 2.0 .45 Compact to the range to wring out which one gets sent to the shop for milling and installation of the new red dot and back up sights.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I still run a couple of magazines - 50rd's
through carry gun's in the back yard
every weekend.
I try to mix it up though, 3-30 yd's,
some on a timer, a lot of dry fire.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Only because of winter weather, but I am shooting my .22's more lately.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Stopped? No. I stocked up long before this stuff started because I've been fucked in the past by ammo shortages and learned my lesson.

But I am somewhat rationing ammo because I have no idea how long this one will last? This has been the worst one yet and I don't see it ending anytime soon and depending on what sleepy Joe tries to do, it could actually get worse.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I haven't stopped but I have cut back the amount of rounds I am shooting per session.

Also, doing  a lot more dry firing too.

I have a good stash but I don't currently reload and replacing what I use is getting difficult and expensive.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I didn't shoot any of 2020 and probably won't be shooting in 2021. Most of that was due to working 6-7 days a week and Northam shutting down indoor ranges for awhile.
I was not in a position to stock up during the good times and I'm not paying today's prices.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Been a reloader for decades, and have built up a good amount of ammo and buy it ( at not insane pricing) when I see it. I have not paid panic price but have more ammo in stock now than a year ago without decreasing my range visits ( minimum once a week. ) much of my competitive shooting revolves around 22’s ( steel challenge NRL22 ,silhouette ) and my club has continued to hold regular matches. When my work schedule interferes with my participation in matches requiring centerfire ammo( which is way too often) I make time to get to the range on my own. I will admit I have backed off shooting 9mm a little but will continue shooting weekly as long as my supplies last ( I am lucky in that a few shops here are still selling ammo at pre panic price or with modest mark up and am generally able to replace what I shoot some times 1/2 the ammo I shoot, other times 2x the ammo I shoot)
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#35]
22lr keeps me plenty busy.  But, not much time outside of work.  

I’ve quit buying centerfire, is the biggest change.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm pretty much shooting as much as I ever did. 100-150 rounds a month of centerfire.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#37]
One day a week pistol, one day a week for rifle, so I never stopped or slowed down. I reload everything I shoot aside from 5.56/223 and I stocked up on that during the salad days.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#38]
No, I shoot at least 3 or 4 times a week. I’ve lived through a couple so called shortages and panics and stockpiled ammo and .22 rim fire guns that are analog to my AR15 and Service pistols. I have a lot of .223/5.56, 9mm and .38 target ammo but I shoot that a little more sparingly. I’m not going to mention any numbers other than I can keep this up for another year or two until supply catches up with demand.
  I’ve started shooting more shotguns and shotgun ammo since China Joe  recommended firing two blasts off the balcony to scare away intruders. I’m practicing for that day and I don’t know when I’m going to get a balcony.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Haven't shot much.  I'm someone whose never kept a ton of ammo and always just bought stuff when I needed it.  I don't have much room to store it which is part of the problem.  I refuse to buy at the inflated prices right now.  I'm good on ammo for my hunting guns for the next 3 seasons.  I normally keep around 1k each for my .308, 5.56, and x39 rifles.  I'm down to about 500 5.56, 600 .308, and 800 x39.

Handguns are where I am truly low, low.  I don't like shooting my handguns all that much as it is and I usually keep around 500 rounds per gun.  I have 100 rounds of .45 left, and about 50 of 9mm.

The only ammo I've really paid for during the pandemic is 6.5 Creedmoor.  Got 120 rounds for my precision rifle.  Other than that I've been good about not buying stuff.  I could buy a bunch if I needed, but I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices right now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I am only shooting 22 LR.  I have a LOT of 22 put back from the last couple years when it got really cheap.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#41]
If and when this ever comes back I will work my hardest towards a lifetime supply of 9mm, .22, and 5.56

As it sits I am only shooting my USP .40 because once I burn the ammo I have (mostly my reloads) I will sell it and stick to 9mm exclusively. And .22Lr because I just got a can and it’s dam fun to shoot suppressed and I have just shy of 20k rounds
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Airsoft
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hadnt shot since 2017, so I'm just getting back into USPSA as a cheaper alternative to racing.

Racing cars is expensive. Like they say, want to make a million dollars racing cars? Start with a billion dollars.
View Quote
As someone who ended up dumping more money into an N54 powered BMW than the car originally cost, I feel this in my bones. My other hobbies are chump change by way of comparison so I don't sweat it too much (and yes, I recognize that I'm fortunate to have the discretionary income to support it)

I'm shooting less than usual, more like twice per month rather than every week. So the total round count per year is lower but not radically so. Shooting is a highly perishable skill even with tens of thousands of reps under the belt. If you aren't practicing, you are getting worse.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I fired three rounds, about three yeas ago. That was the last time.

I saw this coming a long time ago.
View Quote
Savvy. I quit shooting in 2019 just in case as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I've missed one weekend in over a year..... to hang with my brother and sisters after Mom's passing.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I have definitely slowed down; but then I used to shoot 500-800/week, every week.

I feel like I've turned into a hoarder.

eta, that was before I sold all my guns.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm no longer shooting much at all.

Thoughts are turning to thin the herd as I start to age.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://media.tenor.com/images/43e62dd3ca97164e58419ed163507e4e/tenor.gif

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I've cut back my shooting by about 30%.

I stocked up pretty well during salad times, but room to store it limits me a little.

One thing that I do not do any more is try to replace CF shooting with rimfire.  During the first Obama panic, I only shot .22s.  When I finally went back to shooting CF, I had a really bad flinch that took me a while to overcome.  IMO, shooting 50 CF rounds is better training than shooting 500 RF rounds.  

Dry fire has about 98% of the training value as RF shooting and is free.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top