Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 11:35:37 AM EDT
What is the correct procedure when responding or dealing with a fail to fire
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I was always told keep it pointed in a safe direction, wait a moment, remove magazine and take it out of battery.  I usually skip the waiting a moment.  Probably a stupid move.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#2]
My guess would be tap, rack, bang if you're in a tactical situation.  Otherwise, do what the poster above me said.  If a round goes off outside of the weapon, you need to worry more about fragments of the primer blowing out towards you, the actual projectile tends to sit there and primers blow out before cases do.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My guess would be tap, tug, rack, bang if you're in a tactical situation.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I was always taught tap, rack, bang to avoid getting in bad habits.  Don't wanna get used to standing with your gun pointing in a safe direction with a FTF in case it ever happens in a gunfight.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What is the correct procedure when responding or dealing with a fail to fire

Cuss loudly, and blame Glock for selling such a crappy gun.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was always taught tap, rack, bang to avoid getting in bad habits.  Don't wanna get used to standing with your gun pointing in a safe direction with a FTF in case it ever happens in a gunfight.

+1

People are free to train how they wish, but in a 'real' situation you will do exactly as you trained.  If you pause after a FTF at the range or sandpit, you will pause during a firefight.    
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tug on what ?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tug on what ?

Magazine to make sure it is 'locked-in'.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:47:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

People are free to train how they wish, but in a 'real' situation you will do exactly as you trained.  If you pause after a FTF at the range or sandpit, you will pause during a firefight.    

Heh, Heh, Heh, That reminds me of a local department that used to train it's deputies to stand up and raise their hand whenever their pistol FTF'd at the qualification range. The range master would then come over and clear their gun for them. No tactical jam clearing drills were ever taught to the deputies in theis department.

One day several of the deputies were involved in a shoot out with a suspect along a highway. A routine traffic stop yeilded a suspect with priors who did not want to be arrested. The suspect produced a gun and attempted to run into the woods next to the highway, firing at the deputies as he ran. The deputies returned fire and persued the suspect until one of the deptuties had a FTF. This deputy did exactly as he was trained to do, he stood up and raised his hand with his jammed gun in his other hand, while under fire from the suspect. Luckily his partner promptly tackled his butt and helped him to regain cover.

Needless to say, you will do what you are trained to do regardless of the circumstances, train to clear your pistol by keeping you gun pointed downrang (or at the the threat) with your strong hand firmly around the grip, then:

A. TAP the bottom of the magazine with your weak hand's palm in a forciful upward motion, this helps to ensure the magazine is seated correctly and will also serve to "bump" a round that has prevented the slide from going into full battery

B. RACK the slide of your pistol with the weak hand, 9 times out of 10 this will remove the problem round (or empty case) and cycle a fresh round into the chamber

C. BANG, i.e. pull the trigger and continue the fight.

Thus the term tap, rack, bang! This will clear 95% of all jams and return a pistol to functional status. And it will do it very quickly, the whole procedure should take no more time than it takes you to verbally say "tap, rack, bang". Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:04:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I forgot to add, if the tap rack bang procedure does not work, the next step is to strip the magazine from the gun, rack the slide three or four times, insert a FRESH magazine, rack the slide again, and continue the fight. If that fails than transition to a BUG or blade, or even a can of OC. The inportant thing is to never give up and always continue to fight until the threat is eliminated (or you can escape depending on whether or not you are a civilian).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top