Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 7:18:36 AM EDT
Hey guys this weekend I want to take my mom shooting , today or on saturday we will go and pick up a gun. She says she does not want alot of kick , so now im not sure. Do you guys know of and small caliber simi automatic that is small and easy to rack the slide? She has a hard time racking the slide on them.  We have been to the gun shop befor to let her hold revolvers , she liked some of them.

So any ideas on what small guns to look at that would be easy to rack the slide on?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Glock 19 or 26.  Low muzzle flip, light recoil, no brainer operation, small, light, high capacity, and easy to rack the slide.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe Beretta makes a Cheetah? .380 9mm?  Lower recoil. The Tomcat .32 has the flip up barrel for people that have a hard time racking the slide.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know your mothers shooting expeireance or age, etc. but anything bigger than a .22 mag puts a nasty bruise on my mothers hand.  My mother is a softcore 73 year old.
Is there a range around you with handgun rentals?  If you don't own a wide range of handguns yourself that might be the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replys guys! You know im so happy I got my mom to get her CCW , now for the gun!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Perfect mom gun is a hammerless snubnose .38 lightweight with CTC laser grips.

My mom cant cycle most small semi autos to clear a malfunction with any speed at all and her poor vision prevents accurate use of the sights at night when she is most likely to need the pistol.  She quilified with a Browning Hipower so she could carry any type of handgun here in Texas and not just a revolver.  The only other pistol that was OK for her to use was a Springfield XD9.  She cant cycle Kahr subcompacts and cant cycle the larger Kahrs without taking several seconds.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a wonderful news.

In that case, Glock 19.  4" and longer barrels somehow perform better with quality 9mm bullets than shorter barrels.  And Glock doesn't need meticulate cleaning or lots of care.  Also try XD-9 compact and P99 as well at the gunstore.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Revolvers used to be the fast and easy answer to a question like this.  Its simple, reliable and hard to screw up.  The down side is the long and heavy trigger pull that some women have problems with.  The capacty is also an issue, but not a big one for CCW.

I'm now of the opinion that the Glock 19 is perfect for new shooters, women and small handed people.  Like a revolver, its simple to learn and use and is reliable.  The safe action trigger is easy for a women to handle and the sight picture doesn't jump all over the place during take-up like on a revolver.  

If you ever want to be convienced of how much better this is for new shooters, watch a class of new shooters try to shoot controlled pairs.  The ones with the Glock can hit the target and the DA/SA folks either can't or can't within a short time frame.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#8]
aimsurplus has German made Walther PP's in 32 ACP. A real bargain at $259.00 and a great mommy gun.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#9]
CDNN had used Sig 230s for $279 for a while there. That's a good quality gun. I snagged one and was amazed how accurate it was.

But unless she's going to really get acquainted with an auto and train with it, I'd tell her to get a nice lightweight revolver.

My wife can't rack the slide on any autos either, but since she wanted a plinker, I found that the Walther P22 is very easy to rack the slide on. She likes the P22 alot.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I saw a revolver there at the shop in .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire , would this be better than one in .22 lr?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like she's racking the slide just like the movies. The easy way (although the RO yells at you):

1) Hold the slide from the top with your left hand.
2) Hold the pistol on the grip with your right
3) At about chest height, hold the top slide still, and push with your right hand/grip. Half the amount of force is needed.

Not to mention, a full size pistol is easier to rack than a compact.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Smith and Wesson 5 shot LadySmith.

It can shoot 38 or 357, so get her some .38's to start with.

It is heavy for it's size, minimizing the recoil vs some superlight guns.

All you have to do is open the cylinder, there's no slide to rack.

It has an exposed hammer so she can do some practice at SA,
which will help if she ever decided to move up to the auto world.

Automatics are for people that practice regularly.  Your mother needs
simple, not cool.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#13]
My suggestion, for what I am assuming is an inexperienced shooter , is a .22mag. revolver.  
Little recoil and plenty of firepower if you get a 3in. or 4in. brl.  Small enough for CCW,  a .22mag. will do the job if she practices and becomes proficient with it!  Shot placement is key!
If she can handle the recoil of a .38sp.....I would recommend a revolver that fits her hand! Again..... practice, practice, practice!!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:27:29 AM EDT
[#14]
S&W .500, 4".

It'll put some hair on her chest.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:24:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Smith and Wesson 5 shot LadySmith.

It can shoot 38 or 357, so get her some .38's to start with.

It is heavy for it's size, minimizing the recoil vs some superlight guns.

All you have to do is open the cylinder, there's no slide to rack.

It has an exposed hammer so she can do some practice at SA,
which will help if she ever decided to move up to the auto world.

Automatics are for people that practice regularly.  Your mother needs
simple, not cool.

I agree a S&W LadySmith. I personally wouldn't recommend any of the 380autos because they are direct blow-back type of guns, i.e. it uses a spring and the mass of the bolt to hold the slide and the barrel closed, they are simple but has a pretty sharp recoil. The only 380auto that I would recommend is the locked-breach a la 1911, is the out-of-production SA Colt Mustang.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Glock 19 or a snub nose that has a hammer  that she can cock and shoot it SA if she wants. If I got a revolver I would get a .357 and then put .38s in it. I think one of Berettas .380s has a pop up barrel too so I would look at that but maybe not. The most ecinomical for sure will be a snub .38.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top