Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 9:42:56 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide whether to sell my Sig 226 to fund a carbine training course. I wouldn't have thought to do this, but since I got my Kimber TLE/RL II, I never shoot my Sig anymore. I still think it's a great gun, it's just never really used. I'm a poor college student and only have so much money throughout the year, so I'm not sure if I can afford the carbine course unless I sell something. Normally, I never sell a firearm unless it is to fund another firearm, but I figure this training course is firearm related enough.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I am in the same situation (being a poor college student and all).  I have contemplated selling a gun or two for something else.  I have learned that I better keep what I got and save for what I want.  The reason being, you will never have to worry about getting rid of  perfectly good gun that you know and are used to.  

In fact what happened to me was funny...I had a MAK-90 in 99% condition and traded that and little $ for a P226 in .357sig.  I really do regret the move now, not because of the Sig, but because I had paid almost nothing for the AK and later learned that I should've kept it seeing how it is much better made than the Romanian AKs out there and I probably wont ever find it again for what I originally paid.

Again, keep what you got and save for what you want, unless you never want to shoot the sig ever again or if its a situation where it's simply a matter of not liking the gun.  Some people dont like triggers so the gid rid of there guns.  Some people dont like how it feels when fired, they lose it.  Depends on how much you like the sig or not.  I have plenty of guns that I dont shoot as often as other but love them just the same

One gun that I did get rid of for money was the Kel-Tec .380.  The thing was just too small and I could never shoot it well....ever.  So, i got rid of it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:52:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Get some good training. There is a benefit to being proficient with the tools that you actually use, and very little from owning tools which get no use.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a couple case of carbine ammo for now.  No better training than lots of live fire trigger time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#4]
You obviously don't need the Sig, send it to me!  I'll even give you $50 for your trouble and shipping.    Sigs are nice, you may eventually regret selling it.  Training is a good thing.  Personally I would save up until you can afford it outright.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Sell the Sig and buy a Glock.    

Take the course when you can afford it.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sell the Sig and buy a Glock.    

Take the course when you can afford it.  

AMEN! and w00t! to that!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I would put of any training off untill you can get the cash someplace else besides selling the Sig.

If not .........................Im a Sig guy so this hurts.

Sell the Sig, if you dont use it anymore and use the money for training.

18 years ago I went the other way I sold all my 1911's and kept a P220.
Different controls and grips, the 1911 and Sig just dont go hand and hand. It takes a little thought to switch between the two and under pressure a mistake could cost ya. So I pared down to what I though I needed.
18 years later I still own that same P220 but I also have a few 1911's again now too.
What i am getting at is you can always get another Sig later. Better to be handle the 1911 smoothly and get some AR trigger time than to have a Sig at home at this time in your life.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I hate to sell any gun. Better to wait IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I understand loathing to sell enen an underutilized gun. However, he is in a position to get knee deep into training at, what I presume to be, a younger age than many of us. It is far better to have a leg up in knowledge and experience, than unused gear.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I hate to sell any gun. Better to wait IMHO.

I feel you bud, Im finishing up college also. I have been fortunate and have started a good collection early on but have you factored in travel expenses for airline or/and gas, food, lodging, ammo, can you repair you AR if it something happens on the course? Refunds if something like that happens?

A lot of questions to ask, I would hold on to the Sig. It will hold its value and wait to graduate to start some weekend schooling..

let usknow how you go..
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a poor college student as well. I save up for a LONG time for things I want. Very long time. I made a decision long ago never to sell my collection unless it was for medical or debt reasons.

Find the money elseware. A Sig will be my first pistol, and after having held one... I can't see how anyone wouldn't regret selling one.

Man I can't wait till next week. 8 months of waiting and saving will finally come to and end P229 here I come.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies everyone. What makes it so hard is that Tiger Valley is having a special in November and the three day carbine class will only cost $200 plus ammo (2000 rnds). I live in the same town, so I won't have to travel or pay for lodging. It's an incredible deal that I'm not sure will come around very often. I'm trying to see if I can work something else out without having to get rid if of my Sig (do I really need two kidneys). Problem is, my guns are the only things of real value that I own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top