Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 6:16:20 PM EDT
Does anyone use a railed 1911, more specifically, a Kimber Warrior as their daily carry piece ?
If so, what are the possibilites for holsters and other issues as far as carry for this type of weapon.
I really like the Warrior but doubt i'd ever use the rail.  I really wish Kimber made one without the rail.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
A guy I work with carries a Kimber TLE-II/RL II for his daily carry piece.

You could always get something else besides the warrior...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to have the original Springfield "Operator" with the full length rail.  I was unable to find leather for it so I had to carry it Mexican on my hip.  Having owned a railed 1911, I feel that rails have no place on a 1911.  The rail completely destroyed the balance and pointability that 1911's are famous for.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree on the rail issue. I'm not a huge fan on 1911s.
If I need a rail my USP will do just fine.
My other option would be a Kimber anniversary model but I don't care for the date roll marks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My other option would be a Kimber anniversary model but I don't care for the date roll marks.

If the choice is between rails or cosmetic roll marks, I'd go with the roll marks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the choice is between rails or cosmetic roll marks, I'd go with the roll marks.

I know it sounds petty to base a weapon choice on roll marks but when spending hundreds of dollars I like to get just what I want.
I am also SERIOUSLY considering a new production Colt series 70 and having Yost give it the once over.  The drawback to that is the time it would take and the cost of the weapon and his services.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am also SERIOUSLY considering a new production Colt series 70 and having Yost give it the once over.  The drawback to that is the time it would take and the cost of the weapon and his services.

I picked up a blued Series 70 "repro" and couldn't be happier!  Question though.......what do you "need" Yost to "go over" on it?  Reliability wise....mine's been 100% with over 1000rnds down the tube.  I lightly customised mine myself, adding a Wilson "drop in" beavertail, an NOS Colt commander "ring" hammer (that was still in it's 1970's-era blister pack) and an original Veldiki trigger (long, solid style).  The only thing I MIGHT farm out to a smith is a front/rear sight upgrade.

Buy the Colt!   You'll never regret it!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I occasionally carry my Springfield Operator.  I can't carry anything that big at work, but on my days off, I will wear a 5.11 vest and use a Blade-Tech holster for the Operator.  With a good belt, its no worse than anything else and its a bad ass gun.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I picked up a blued Series 70 "repro" and couldn't be happier!  Question though.......what do you "need" Yost to "go over" on it?  Reliability wise....mine's been 100% with over 1000rnds down the tube.  I lightly customised mine myself, adding a Wilson "drop in" beavertail, an NOS Colt commander "ring" hammer (that was still in it's 1970's-era blister pack) and an original Veldiki trigger (long, solid style).  The only thing I MIGHT farm out to a smith is a front/rear sight upgrade.

Buy the Colt!   You'll never regret it!

A concern with the Colt would be hammer bite because thats standard issue for me and stock 1911s.  I like the standard "old school" look of the series 70 though.
I used drop in parts on another Colt I had and they worked but left alot to be desired in the looks department.  
My main concern with the Colt is If I'm paying $800-$900 for a new series 70 re-issue I want top quality and I have heard many stories of less than perfect pistols getting through Colt's QC dept.
Yes, they're mainly fit and finish issues but IMO, for that kind of money for a stock 1911 it better be perfect.  The other problem is I would prefer to see and inspect it before I buy and no one carries them anywhere near me.  Maybe if I found a dealer who knew his stuff and would pick me a good one, then i'd buy it today.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry a Warrior concealed. Not daily though. I have a Tucker belt holster. The holster carries the gun high and tight to the body. It is a lot of gun to conceal... mostly in the long grip. Not easily done on hot summer days and when a vest or jacket is removed. It prints easily even with a loose hanging shirt. It feels fine though and I could easily carry it daily. I like the thought of the accuracy and handling of a full size .45. I believe a smaller gun would be more appropriate, though. Get a narrow, small framed gun. I like the Kimber Tactical Ultra II or Pro Carry II. They are both narrow and small. They each have their advantages. The grip on the Tactical Ultra II is longer than the Pro Carry though and could cause concealment issues. I prefer to carry the Warrior to my XD-40 subcompact (wide body).
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

A concern with the Colt would be hammer bite because thats standard issue for me and stock 1911s.  I like the standard "old school" look of the series 70 though.
I used drop in parts on another Colt I had and they worked but left alot to be desired in the looks department.  

I have the same issue with "stock" 1911 grip safeties and hammers.  I shoot with a "high thumb"...and a "stock" 1911 will chew up my hand in short order.
I was concerned with how a "drop in" grip safety would look and function.  But the thought of grinding the beautiful blue finish off my frame tangs was giving me the "heebie-jeebies".....so I bit the bullet and ordered Wilson's part.   Honastly......it looks damn good!  Not quite as tight as a custom fitted grip safety......but damn close!
I've heard the same stories of "shabby" quality control from Colt.   But I've only seen evidence of a few "iffy" Colts posted on the net (and never seen any in person).  But then....I've also heard of the odd Kimber and Springer with "issues" as well. (in my oppinion....Colt's rep for shabby QC from back in the '80s still haunts them today....unfairly).
Go ahead and buy a Colt if you can find one.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top