Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2017 4:14:26 PM EDT
Just curious as to some of the stories out there.

Seen a few 380's, lots of 9's, a few 40's and I found out recently my 1911 45 was the first one the instructor had seen in a year or two.   Most of my class had 9 and below and a bunch of 22's.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
My grandpa brought over an old Lorcin .25 to practice with, with the intention of using it for the class...
I bought him a Shield 9....
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#2]
When I did mine the guy two people over was shooting a Makarov.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Shot mine with a S&W 1076 10mm...

Had some "Expert" (not the instructor who was a pretty cool and smart guy) telling me

(A) 10mm was WAY too much gun to use for defense...  They will put you in prison because you mean to kill...

(B) That using a FBI gun would get me in trouble with the law, (thinking I had stolen it)...
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Had some "Expert" (not the instructor who was a pretty cool and smart guy) telling me

(A) 10mm was WAY too much gun to use for defense...  They will put you in prison because you mean to kill...

(B) That using a FBI gun would get me in trouble with the law, (thinking I had stolen it)...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Probably based on this:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/15199221/ns/dateline_nbc-crime_reports/t/trail-evidence/#.WcwSbltSxhE

And the jury had another issue to think about: Fish’s gun.
The firearms investigator said that Fish’s gun — a 10mm — is more powerful than what police officers use and is not typically used for personal protection.
I carried 10mm for years, I only stopped after I broke my wrist and it wasn't comfortable to shoot for about a year afterwards
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Would love to take one with my broomhandle wauser (Chinese mauser clone)
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would have asked him where he got his mall ninja law degree from.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Everything, man.  From PT-22s to Raging Bulls.  Big revolvers were especially common when Ohio first got CCW - people had guns they just didn't necessarily have concealable ones.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread is giving me some ideas.    I go and retake the class each time one of my kids take it.   My youngest son is up next next and will probably be taking the class this fall.      Do you think that I could qualify with my Draco?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#9]
What's a ccw Qual?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's a ccw Qual?
View Quote
A place where morons try their damndest to shoot the RO.  I RO'd some of those 'quals' for a year.  Fuck that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's a ccw Qual?
View Quote
We had to demonstrate that we were able to keep the majority of our rounds on a piece of paper at 21 feet.    First CCW class that I took the instructor had us write our name on the targets and he kept them as proof that we were able to keep our rounds on the paper.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I used my open gun, RO's had no clue what it was.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Watched a guy shoot his qual with a Walther P.38...
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Had a guy and his girlfriend in my class

She and I went to HS together.  

He brought his .41 magnum for them to qualify with.  

I had a Ruger P89 I borrowed from a friend.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Here in Florida, in order to "qualify" one only needs to press the trigger one time and a bullet must exit the barrel.

Still too stringent IMO.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What's a ccw Qual?
View Quote
An infringement.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#18]
In my class 1 guy had a HK P30L and one guy had a les Bauer 1911.

Both were awful shots. We had to keep 5 rounds on paper at like 20 feet. All my rounds touched.

Their rounds were minute of paper
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I saw an old guy that brought a Rohm .22 or some other pot metal pitol. He also brought one box of .22 that was so old the carboard was falling apart. He actually got a few rounds to fire but after the 10th misfire the instructor made him use a loaner .22.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#20]
What is a CCW qual.?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Had a guy use a Desert Eagle 50AE once, what a dick, ha
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I just sold a gun to a guy who told me that both he and his wife used an 8" 629 to qualify here in MN.

I'd guess they were shooting .44 special loads, but he seemed to be just south of crazy, so who knows?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#23]
When I took mine one of the other students, elderly dude in a wheelchair brought a very VERY old Beretta box to the range. When he opened it... Brand New .25 cal Beretta that he "found" while running the krauts out of Italy.
It had never...been...fired. We BEGGED him not to shoot it, alas he would not listen.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#24]
My favorite is watching lasers dance around on the target as they realize they don't know how to pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#25]
A good friend of my took his 9” sw500 with a scope mounted to his qual.  Was laughing my ass off when he told me. 
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Had one guy show up with a Ruger Vaquero .45 single action.  Part of the qual course is rapid fire.  I asked him if he planned to "fan" the trigger to get off the five shots.  He had no clue what I meant and asked for a demonstration on his own gun.    

After he was told "no" on the Vaquero, he went back to his range bag, put the Vaquero away and came back to the firing line with a 7.5" Redhawk .44 Magnum.  He qualified with that one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
When I did mine the guy two people over was shooting a Makarov.
View Quote
I used a Makarov.

It looked normal compared to another shooter's Single Action revolver.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Went with a buddy of mine who did his qualifications with this using actual 357 ammo

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#29]
In Virginia you do not have to actually fire a single shot to obtain a Concealed handgun permit.

A hunter safety course is all the safety instruction you need.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Not a ccw qual but many years ago my brothers old
Police department mandated carry of any handgun chambered in 9mm or 38 special minimum. They had at the time ( late 1970’s) no standard issue handgun ( small 70 officer department) he became the tang eofficer and improved things greatly with time but just for the heck of it he did a qual with a WWI era Luger.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I used a Makarov.

It looked normal compared to another shooter's Single Action revolver.
View Quote
I used a 1911 because at the time I did not have a range membership and wanted to test fire it as I had just finished putting it together the day before.  I brought my Glock as a backup incase it choked but I seriously considered showing up with my grandfathers Luger P-08 he carried in all the invasions across Europe and Russia.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I have no desire to pay for the class again, but after reading this I kinda want to with my Mark 23 or MP5K :)
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#33]
A what?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What's a ccw Qual?
View Quote
An event where you meet other gunowners who are all too happy to tell you how your carry piece sucks. Haha.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Had a guy use a Desert Eagle 50AE once, what a dick, ha
View Quote
I thought about doing that but after seeing the newbies at the class i have decided against it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#36]
When I got mine, ammo prices were sky-high, so I used a buddy's Browning Buckmark .22.  I had a few bricks to blow through
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#37]
I shot mine with a tri topped, flush cut, green lasered 9mm carry 1911. the instructor made a joke to the class not to shoot them all through the bullseye so he could count the holes, but he watched me put them all through the X and said don't worry, you're good.

watching a bunch of people shoot the hangers, miss a 3 foot target at 3 yards (seriously, that's part of the qualifying here in Texas) scared the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Some girl loaded her .45 backwards during qualification. Instructor had to unjam her gun.

I used my Glick 31 .357 sig with hot ammo and almost didnt qualify because the target was getting blown almost 180 degrees from the blast lol. Almost couldnt get my shots off.

If I qualify again I will use my Glock 40 10mm because that is what I usually carry. Here it is just a refresher course to renew.

Regarding the comments on 10mm I am in Texas and feel confident my lawyer and I can explain it. If I have to defend my life fron 5 feet I would prefer 200gr XTP to 124gr HST. Ideally I would prefer my 12ga with 15 pellet plated 00 buck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Stinger Pen Gun

Actually used my Coonan Model B .357 Auto for Kentucky's Concealed Carry Class back in the mid 90s.  Course my RO was a fellow ISPC shooter I used to compete with it.

CD
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Buddy of mine qualified with an early, beautiful and near mint S&W 39.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Old man decided he needed to qualify back in the day with an AMT Automag III. 
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#42]
I remember a guy that had a Delta Elite coated OD & black. That was nice. Another guy and his wife used a Ruger MK I or II. The funniest was a guy with a snubbie .357 using the magnum loads. Nearly burned the target down from 3 yards.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#43]
An older gal with an H&R Top Break 22.  That she did not know how to use!
That was back in mid 80's when ND test was open book true false 10 ? written test and 10rds on B27 at 21 feet with a reload of the gun and 7 of 10 rds had to hit in the scoring rings

What most permit to carry classes have in common is they are not a platform to teach the fundamentals of marksmanship.   Especially here in MN where we have fly by night instructors doing things like
Airsoft Guns for Qualification
Pellet guns in Motel Room
These are real incidents to skirt the process.  

What most people forget is the PTC instructors are not in it for the genuine want to help the shooting public.
It is for them to line their pockets with students hard earned money, tell war stories, and scare people with bull crap!
Now, of course there are some that are in between.  But, by and large before their state laws changed etc, they were John Q Public.  Were they competitive shooters? Nope! Were they regulars at the range? Nope!

Of course the vast majority of PTC students are not shooters!  They want to bluff their way through things.  For most it is Coffee Table talking point!

People using guns for all legal purposes should be expected to know how to use them!  Do they need to shoot like David Tubb, Kim Rhode, or SEAL Team Six absolutely not!
But they need to be safe!  Most PTC do not practice!
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#44]
I used my stainless Delta Elite 10mm because my CZ 75B .40 was still on order and didn't make it in time for the class.

I knew that my 1911 was a tack-driver so I had full confidence i'd place every round in the scoring zone (and I did, too!)

ETA: Of about 20- 25 people in my CCW class I could tell I was the gun geek! Most of them looked pretty clueless.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#45]
I brought my 1976 6" python to my ccw class.

I meant to take my g19, thought it was in my truck when I left, showed up and turns out I only had the colt.

Instructor was like
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Where I live, we need a permit to purchase a handgun, so when we take the test, we can only shoot what the instructor brings.

First we did some shots with a Mk III 22/45, and everybody did well. Then we moved to a Sig (either a 229 or a 226). I have small hands, so I did not find that gun comfortable at all. However, I still got all my shots in the 9 ring or better at 7 yards. Instructor also mixed in a couple random snap caps to check for flinching. For the most part, that went well too. A couple people had small flinches, but all kept their rounds on target.

Luckily, the people in the class were all somewhat into guns, and had gone shooting before, so there wasn't a lot of derp there.

My brother took his class at a different place, with a bigger group, and had a lot of novice / beginner shooters. He had some funny stories of some of the people there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#47]
An AR 7 inch pistol.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Had a lady bring a North American arms 22. we found here something else to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What is a CCW qual.?
View Quote
In MS we have constitutional carry.  Concealed carry with a license and "Instructor Certified" enhanced carry.  IC on the back of my permit means I can carry in more places without hassle from the law.  Like the high school football game I attended last night.  IC requires class room and range certification.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Not any type of qualification, but I used to be able to use a local LAPD range.  Confused the heck our of folks, both the RO's and I enjoyed ourselves, when I would fire my lefty Randall.  I've had folks stand behind me and stare until they couldn't stand it and their was a break finally ask what was wrong with my 1911.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top