Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2017 10:25:55 AM EDT

I got the gun in yesterday and headed to the range with it to shoot a quick review.

Changes to the gun from previous generations that I've noticed so far:

-ambi slide release
-o finger grooves
-flared Magwell
-"marksman" barrel
-nDLC finish
-2 pin system rather than 3
-high vis mag followers and the base plate is more rounded than earlier versions
-previous gen mag compatible
-fits holsters from previous generations  
-beveled slide (but not frame)

My review with accuracy testing and reliability report:

Gen5 Glock 17 Test & Review: Is It Perfection?
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice review and on a side note you make some pretty good music with you weapons lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#2]
No btf!

Dejavu
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice review.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Great video as always. Local shop has a 19 waiting on me. Now I'm debating getting it or trying a P10c. Polymer CZ's have never interested me, but I haven't seen a P10c in person yet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Had a 19.5 in my hand yesterday and decided to pass on it. I'll grab a blue label one eventually. Even being left handed the changes didn't seem to justify ANOTHER G19.. yet. Haha. Gonn'a watch your video here in a few minutes though. You usually end up costing me way too much money.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/GrtSSr8l.jpg

I got the gun in yesterday and headed to the range with it to shoot a quick review.

Changes to the gun from previous generations that I've noticed so far:

-ambi slide release
-o finger grooves
-flared Magwell
-"marksman" barrel
-nDLC finish
-2 pin system rather than 3
-high vis mag followers and the base plate is more rounded than earlier versions
-previous gen mag compatible
-fits holsters from previous generations  
-beveled slide (but not frame)

My review with accuracy testing and reliability report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nWIx53xZmc
View Quote
That lack of attention to detail is killing it for me. I know in reality it's not a big deal and easily correctable, but man that irks me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Really impressed by the accuracy of the last two groups.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the great review

Following you now on FB , you're making me spend more money with all
Those deals you're posting !
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice review.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Any chance for a side by side accuracy comparison of that Gen4 FS you just got and the Gen 5?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Good review, Im actually excited to buy one as soon as they come to my local shops!

No BTF is a great sign as my two Gen 3 G19s had that problem until I paid the money for Apex extractors and 30724 ejectors for both.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any chance for a side by side accuracy comparison of that Gen4 FS you just got and the Gen 5?
View Quote
I have at least one, maybe two, Gen4 Glock tests on the channel if folks are interested.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Are there cuts in the slide so it doesn't have to be slid all the way forward to remove?

Nevermind. I see it's because of the cuts for the ambi slide stop lever.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Awesome review man, thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for being non biased.  I mean that sincerely.  It's nice to see someone that likes Glocks but recognizes they are not perfect as they claim to be.  

That HST though.  Nice.  

I actually like the Glock sight picture, but it SHOULD be metal.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I looked at three Gen 5s at a shop today, two 17s (one with regular sights, one with Glock night sights) and one 19 with regular sights. All three had sight alignment issues, the rear sights on both standard sight guns were off center and the front sight on the NS model had the front sight slightly canted. A pretty easy fix, but I suspect they were hurrying to get a bunch of guns into the pipeline at launch and QC took a minor hit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I am probably in for a 19 if they include them in the GSSF program.
I wonder if 34s are in the pipeline?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#18]
What do you think will be the next GEN 5 release ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#19]
My 19 Gen 5 is now home safe in it's holster.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks, great review.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Great review, great overview, excellent as always, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Are there cuts in the slide so it doesn't have to be slid all the way forward to remove?

View Quote
Might not be designed that way but I've had the damn slide fall off before I'm ready several times now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Always great reviews from you.
Looking at a 19 yesterday, noticed it had the smooth 17 trigger and not the usual 19 trigger with the ridges.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#24]
As always, great review.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice review MGG. Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Might not be designed that way but I've had the damn slide fall off before I'm ready several times now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:56:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Seriously?
View Quote
He meant during intentional disassembly.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?
Yeah, this. Start pulling slide forward for disassembly. CLUNK!
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#29]
No BTF.  Soft recoil.  Accurate.   Ran 100%.    

Shot high with TRUGLO TFX PRO sights.  Going to put Wilson Vickers on and go back to range.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Always great reviews from you.
Looking at a 19 yesterday, noticed it had the smooth 17 trigger and not the usual 19 trigger with the ridges.
View Quote
Good info there; I hate the serrated triggers
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I looked at three Gen 5s at a shop today, two 17s (one with regular sights, one with Glock night sights) and one 19 with regular sights. All three had sight alignment issues, the rear sights on both standard sight guns were off center and the front sight on the NS model had the front sight slightly canted. A pretty easy fix, but I suspect they were hurrying to get a bunch of guns into the pipeline at launch and QC took a minor hit.
View Quote
I saw that on a lot of M guns too. We actually took the time to re zero ours.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I saw that on a lot of M guns too. We actually took the time to re zero ours.
View Quote
Sights on my 17.5 were off center too, but I got standard sights.

That being said, 4 of the last 6 or so guns I've bought have had the same issue.  Common, sadly, among all brands.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Sights on my 17.5 were off center too, but I got standard sights.

That being said, 4 of the last 6 or so guns I've bought have had the same issue.  Common, sadly, among all brands.
View Quote
What we need is a consensus as to whether the sights are off to one side because they NEED to be, or if  Glock's sighting jig is off-kilter and the guns shoot point of aim with the off-center sights moved to dead center by the new owner.

In other words:  a defect or not a defect.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What we need is a consensus as to whether the sights are off to one side because they NEED to be, or if  Glock's sighting jig is off-kilter and the guns shoot point of aim with the off-center sights moved to dead center by the new owner.

In other words:  a defect or not a defect.
View Quote
Every Glock I currently own has centered sights.

Every Glock I currently own (except one that I havent shot yet) has been verified to shoot POA/POI at 25Y.

Many of these had slightly off center factory sights, so I do not think them being "off" is intentional.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I got tired of fixing them at my shop, so we called Glock. They told us it's on purpose for right handed shooters who shoot left. After we called a second time and they told us the same thing, we decided to get it in writing.

Attachment Attached File

To be honest I'm astounded Glock would be doing this on purpose. My personal 17.5 shoots properly after centering the damn sights on the slide!
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Good review
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Good review, I just got a gen 5 19 and I'm loving everything about it except the grip texture, I just placed an order for the talon grip tape for it. Depending on how it feels with the tape, I may retire my gen 3.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I got tired of fixing them at my shop, so we called Glock. They told us it's on purpose for right handed shooters who shoot left. After we called a second time and they told us the same thing, we decided to get it in writing.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/107069/Screenshot_2017-10-03-11-14-16-323922.JPG

To be honest I'm astounded Glock would be doing this on purpose. My personal 17.5 shoots properly after centering the damn sights on the slide!
View Quote

My Gen5 19 appears to be centered.

Also, to bring shots back right, would you not adjust the rear sight to the left?
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Also, to bring shots back right, would you not adjust the rear sight to the left?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/107069/Screenshot_2017-10-03-11-14-16-323922.JPG

Nope. Movethe rear sight the direction you want to move the strike of the bullet. And opposite for the front sight.

That being said, that official answer from GLOCK is ridiculous and disturbing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Are we sure that's a Glock employee?  Or a rep or what?  The email says DNA gunshop.  That doesn't sound like an official Glock email.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My 19 Gen 5 is now home safe in it's holster.
View Quote
@BillyDBerger, can we get a pic and confirmation of a smooth trigger?   I don't really like the serrated triggers either.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Are we sure that's a Glock employee?  Or a rep or what?  The email says DNA gunshop.  That doesn't sound like an official Glock email.
View Quote
The fella who sent the message has a "@Glock.us" email address?

DNA gun shop sent a message and got a response from Jeremy Sims
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@BillyDBerger, can we get a pic and confirmation of a smooth trigger?   I don't really like the serrated triggers either.
View Quote
I'll see when I can get to my 19.  I keep my 21 and 30 for work.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:58:44 AM EDT
[#45]
I got the full size Gen 5 and then the 19 gen 5 with the FBI night sights and they have been flawless ,
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
This has got to be a joke.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Glock has been doing that on their night sights forever.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not a Joke.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not a Joke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a Joke.
That's crazy.
It would explain some things though. I carry an old 17L that I hit with but I don't hit well at all with my wife's 19.

What site pusher do we like?

ETA When did this start?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#50]
I've gotten a couple Gen 4 Glocks in during the timeframe I've been getting the Gen 5 guns. The Gen 4 guns have centered sights.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top