Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/7/2017 5:49:20 AM EDT
https://youtu.be/ch7si_VQsGA

I can't figure out how to imbed an image but there is a link.

Let me say I'm no p320 hater and I have two and love them. But this is basically the worst possible way for them to fail. Hopefully sig addresses this somehow.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Sig Sauer P320 Fails Drop Test
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting, I guess that's why the Glock has that safety button on the trigger, keeps the trigger from moving rearward even if dropped harshly at weird angles. But the Sig doesn't have this trigger safety feature. I guess they may want to think about adding it. Or maybe someone can make an aftermarket Glock style trigger for the Sig. But of course the odds of someone dropping their gun is pretty rare, so most probably won't even care about this potential problem.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I think these guns had been beat on as well.  I saw somewhere one got thrown 50ft in the air?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. Could it be the mass of the trigger at that angle is enough to make it go off?

I'm sure sig will fix it.

V
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#5]
How high were the dropped from?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think these guns had been beat on as well.  I saw somewhere one got thrown 50ft in the air?  
View Quote
Someone didn't watch the video.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I had always assumed that the drop test was of the pistol being dropped on its rear, since that would be the axis of force required to activate the trigger mechanism.  The video states that the drop test includes being dropped on every side except the rear.  WTF?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Not a SIG buyer or SIG hater.

I did think it was interesting that they said they would no longer sell the guns until SIG "fixes" the problem.  Not many companies take a stand that hurts sales unless forced to by a public outcry.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Where are all those bullets going from those tests?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
A blank or primer only going off tells you all you need to know.  I sure as shit wouldn't be volunteering to stand there if it had live ammo in it. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I assumed they had a sophisticated testing environment.  Then I was like at the 1:52 mark where you can see his hand drop the gun, then  at 2:03 with the dude hanging out in shorts and flip flops.

Not disputing the test results though.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A blank or primer only going off tells you all you need to know.  I sure as shit wouldn't be volunteering to stand there if it had live ammo in it. 
View Quote
good point
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Well this seems to be a problem.  Why did the military accept?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Interesting, I guess that's why the Glock has that safety button on the trigger, keeps the trigger from moving rearward even if dropped harshly at weird angles. But the Sig doesn't have this trigger safety feature. I guess they may want to think about adding it. Or maybe someone can make an aftermarket Glock style trigger for the Sig. But of course the odds of someone dropping their gun is pretty rare, so most probably won't even care about this potential problem.
View Quote
As a RSO who stands behind shooters on the line I've lost count of how many dropped guns I've seen. That angle is pretty concerning for me.

I can usually tell if a longgun is unsteady and might fall but handguns fall from butter fingers or moving range bags, etc around.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder how many more sellers will pull the pistol before Sig releases a solution or fixes the issue.  This is going to be a shit storm especially after Sig just released a statement saying everything is ok.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its addressed in the video. A gun they didn't previously test failed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Interesting. Could it be the mass of the trigger at that angle is enough to make it go off?

I'm sure sig will fix it.

V
View Quote
They address that in the video specifically.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Would the trigger need to be even lighter if the gun was dropped from chest hight? Or with a fully loaded magazine?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not sure. I've got my K-pot on until I find out for sure.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
When you see someone doing a test like this they are using cases with a primer and no bullet or power.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#22]
If you look at the top gif I made, if that was real life, with real, loaded bullets, it's possible that would have fired twice!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Guess I'll put my purchase plans on hold.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I did think it was interesting that they said they would no longer sell the guns until SIG "fixes" the problem.  Not many companies take a stand that hurts sales unless forced to by a public outcry.
View Quote
They now have publicly made made claims about the drop test, if someone they sold a gun to was hurt by this failure these videos would show up in court and they would lose.

They can't sell them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Why on Earth is dropping it on the back of the slide not part of any government or industry drop testing???!!!

Are we about to see some changes and a whole lot of other pistols failing?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Undocumented Russian Spetsnaz feature.

You can chuck the Sig around the corner like a tomahawk and shoot your opponent who was taking cover at an otherwise unreachable angle. 

Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wonder how many more sellers will pull the pistol before Sig releases a solution or fixes the issue.  This is going to be a shit storm especially after Sig just released a statement saying everything is ok.
View Quote
Sig is going to say it passed all the drop tests, which it did. Their drop tests, however, (and apparently industry standard at that) never include a drop on the rear of the slide. Only the muzzle end or on the side.

I think we're going to see a trigger safety retrofit in the next month. Sig is going to hate that because they've never had a Glock-style trigger safety. Only other option might be a 1911 style grip safety.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#28]
meh, I carried a series 70 1911 for many years, and everyone know that's a recipe for disaster.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sig is going to say it passed all the drop tests, which it did. Their drop tests, however, (and apparently industry standard at that) never include a drop on the rear of the slide. Only the muzzle end or on the side.

I think we're going to see a trigger safety retrofit in the next month. Sig is going to hate that because they've never had a Glock-style trigger safety. Only other option might be a 1911 style grip safety.
View Quote
I am kind of disappointed I think the P320 is a good pistol and Sig has always made good stuff.  While myself I am not sure what it is about the P320 I have never gone out of my way to get one yet.  I do not shoot it bad, I like the trigger, and have shot them a decent bit when I shot with my friend who has one.  Hope Sig comes up with a fix and remedies this so the P320 can get back to work.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Sig already has a "Glock style" safety tabbed trigger as an option for a 320.

Look for that "option" to be the only option from now on.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
meh, I carried a series 70 1911 for many years, and everyone know that's a recipe for disaster.
View Quote
Well the .mil did move away from the 1911 into something called the M9.

M9 still a good pistol.

Military is stuck with the 320 at this point.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I am kind of disappointed I think the P320 is a good pistol and Sig has always made good stuff.  While myself I am not sure what it is about the P320 I have never gone out of my way to get one yet.  I do not shoot it bad, I like the trigger, and have shot them a decent bit when I shot with my friend who has one.  Hope Sig comes up with a fix and remedies this so the P320 can get back to work.
View Quote
Wrong.  Sig has NOT always made good stuff.  Research.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
In the comments they address that they took factory loaded rounds and pulled the bullets and powder. Lol, at first I was like WTF?

ETA: All this talk about different angles and such, maybe it's ok for range and CCW use(at your own risk). But, for .mil with moving under fire and over uneven terrain dropped weapons is a fact of life and this isssue should be a non starter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Was going to buy one at the show this weekend when some guy walks by with a Smith 908. Had to hàve it and the price was right. Dodged a bullet on that one. Re confirms my hard and fast rule of never being an early adopter.
View Quote
good move.

Truth is that this 320 has no history with LE or military.  I think that, alone, is a mistake for the .mil to have bought it.

I also understand that there are issues with the current configs not cycling with some suppressors.  This matters because our suppressors are being evaluated by SOCOM right now.  They are testing with the 320.   They are also testing with G-19 and P226.

Sig is aware.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#36]
A 908 was one of the first guns I've ever carried. My first P320C has been through hell and back. Fallen out of holsters, dropped, and I've never had an issue.

But I do have an Apex flatty in all of my 320s. Maybe there is something there. I'm still carrying it daily. All I know is that I had a G17 slide fall right off about two years ago. All manufacturers have issues and just like Glock, Sig will fix this.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#37]
I wonder if the increased velocity and resulting force from the additional weight of real ammo would have caused the light trigger to fire also.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wrong.  Sig has NOT always made good stuff.  Research.  
View Quote
You did not really answer my question though.  I said good not great.. The P220/6/7/8/9 are great pistols the P320 potentially can become a great pistol.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#39]

This appears to be a problem.

If these tests are legit, which they look to be, it's only gonna be a matter of time before someone gets shot.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sig makes the worlds best 380...

Other than that they make high-bore-axis crap.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Guess I'll put my purchase plans on hold.
View Quote
Yep, me too. Was probably going to be my next pistol.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You did not really answer my question though.  I said good not great.. The P220/6/7/8/9 are great pistols the P320 potentially can become a great pistol.
View Quote
I own a 220 and love it.  Had the 226.  Sig has some QC and engineering issues of late.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
"only other option might be a 1911 style grip safety." - which I'd think they would HATE because it would be a pain in the ass for all the replacement grips.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Glock solved this problem 30 years ago. Just sayin', it's dumb that they didn't include a trigger safety. Pretty much all other striker fired guns have them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Would the trigger need to be even lighter if the gun was dropped from chest hight? Or with a fully loaded magazine?
View Quote
And what about possibly using extended mags in the future?

How am I in on 1?!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you look at the top gif I made, if that was real life, with real, loaded bullets, it's possible that would have fired twice!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Or the entire magazine
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

M9 still a good pistol.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M9 still a good pistol.

I think a lawyer might be able to can that contract. I'm not sure how, I'm not a lawyer.

On the plus side the CMP hasn't gotten the m9s yet and beretta is still delivering guns untill 2019.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top