Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2002 8:37:27 PM EDT
Just got my Walther P99 in 9mm, took it out this weekend, shoots great for me but jams often when my son(10 years old) shoots it. I can shoot 10 mags with no problems and he will have at least a couple of jams per mag. Help me guys, I could see discouragement in his eyes, why would the gun jam for him and work fine for me?
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 2:28:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like limp wristing. Usually more common on glocks and smaller shooters. Basically he's absorbing too much of the recoil and taking energy away from the slide. Couple things could help. Try different grips, shooting iso stance with elbows pointed in generally with lock the arms enough. Lighter recoil spring may help. Maybe even a wrist brace. Either his wrist are rotating back with the recoil or his arms are. Would definetly try working on stance and proper grip first. Dry firing may help. May be a recoil anticipation problem. Watch his head when he shoots. Look for eyes closing before shot fires, and head turning away some. Dry firing get you a little more use to the pistol and what is going to happen.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:33:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Very likely limb wristing as said. At the, that's certainly not surprising. Actually, he's doing good to have as few as he does.

Start him off doing some shooting from a rest. There is a really nice one that's height and length adjustable called the Midway pistolero. I use it on occasion when sighting in a pistol. It's simple, sturdy and relatively inexpensive.

Midway : do a search on Pistolero
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, I will give your suggestions a try the next time we shoot, again thanks for your help...Confederate
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Confederate,

My bride's p95 is a typical Ruger. Never jams on anything. Out of well over 2000 rounds, only one jam. My daughter was getting, as I put it, TOO CASUAL in the way she was holding the weapon, so I believe it was limpwristed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top