Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2012 4:11:50 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm kicking around a carry sized pistol (for the day I leave my communist state )

At the moment I'm kicking around a walther PPS, and a dan wesson CCO
Does anyone have both? I would like to see how they compare size wise!

Goals for this carry sized gun:
-Service cartridge pistol, 9mm, .40, .45
-I do own a 1911 and love the platform. A CCO style build is at the top of my list
-Budget is high, $2k max
-I'm only interested in pistol setups that meet the FBI standard. (I believe this means 4in .40s/9s, and 4.25+ .45s)
Note: this does sort of give me pause about the PPS, I'm not sure about the performance of .40/9mm out of 3in barrels.
I'm a .45 guy at heart, 9s and .40s are second fiddle to me. Though I do understand that 147gr +P+ 9mm HST's are apparently worth writing home about
But the performance of 9mm and .40 rounds out of short barrels? I know very little about that.
-Final note: I'm not interested in a glock. Apologies ahead of time to the G19 club.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a few "carry" sized 1911's {wilson combat carry, dan wesson bob tail, kimber ultra crimson carry 2, and an older springy compact}, the smallest is the kimber and its still a good sized gun, I also own a few walther pp's {ppk, pps 1st ed., and a ppks}, I carry my Sig p290 over all of them, but If I had to pick between the pps and the carry 1911 I would carry the 1911 {wilson protector 4.25 officers grip, service grade}..
PS, the sig p290 9mm, is a bulky little gun, but I am so efficient with it, as is every single person I let shoot it..  worth checking out..
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a few "carry" sized 1911's {wilson combat carry, dan wesson bob tail, kimber ultra crimson carry 2, and an older springy compact}, the smallest is the kimber and its still a good sized gun, I also own a few walther pp's {ppk, pps 1st ed., and a ppks}, I carry my Sig p290 over all of them, but If I had to pick between the pps and the carry 1911 I would carry the 1911 {wilson protector 4.25 officers grip, service grade}..
PS, the sig p290 9mm, is a bulky little gun, but I am so efficient with it, as is every single person I let shoot it..  worth checking out..

Hmm, interesting. (as in: everything in that post is interesting )

Random question: do you feel that the crimson trace grips add too much width to the gun's grip vs say slim grips?
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Family member has a PPS and I have a commander sized 1911. PPS is very thin, small, and lightweight. Sure the 1911 slide is thin, but it gets fatter in the grips whereas the PPS is thin everywhere. My 1911, even though its scandium framed, is way heavier than the PPS. Although the 1911 will shoot the .45 and be easier to be accurate with. Always a tradeoff. I'd say the commander is a combat handgun made a bit more carryable, while the PPS is a deep concealment gun made a bit more shootable.

I say get the PPS due to being new to carrying. In time get a 1911. There will always be situations where you won't be able to carry the 1911 and you'll be happy to take the PPS over not carrying.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple of 1911's and recently got a PPS. I love 1911's but for carry I go with the PPS. It's thin, it shoots great, good trigger, good reset on the trigger, reliable, etc. Even my aluminum framed 1911 was too heavy for me to carry.  It was fine in winter months, but when summer comes and I wear shorts it's a pain to wear at times.  I still carry it at time, but the PPS is so nice I usually go with it. Buy it, wear it, shoot it and get a 1911 another time.  The PPS is 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 4:23:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I would say look at the Dan Wesson CCO. Commander length slide / barrel, on an aluminum officer sized frame, in 45ACP. I was ->| |<- this close to buying one the other day. Retail on them is around the $1400 point.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#6]
PPS and Springfield EMP, both in 9mm.  I carry the PPS.  PPS is thinner, lighter, shoots great.  Had reliabiliy issues with EMP and hollowpoints.  That seems to be resolved, but I still don't trust it NEARLY as much as I trust the PPS.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry I didn't quote everyone, but I appreciate all the advice I've been given thus far
I was unaware of EMPs having issues!

Quoted:
Family member has a PPS and I have a commander sized 1911. PPS is very thin, small, and lightweight. Sure the 1911 slide is thin, but it gets fatter in the grips whereas the PPS is thin everywhere. My 1911, even though its scandium framed, is way heavier than the PPS. Although the 1911 will shoot the .45 and be easier to be accurate with. Always a tradeoff. I'd say the commander is a combat handgun made a bit more carryable, while the PPS is a deep concealment gun made a bit more shootable.

I say get the PPS due to being new to carrying. In time get a 1911. There will always be situations where you won't be able to carry the 1911 and you'll be happy to take the PPS over not carrying.

Interesting. All of that post. I'm considering getting the 1911 now*, and perhaps getting say a:
-The PPS
-The new SW M&P pistol if it is in fact a small service caliber like some believe it is- and if the features are right
-S&W revolver in the tiny pocket carry flavor.

Thoughts on that idea- a toolbox with a choice between "small combat gun" vs "noisy cricket"?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the PPS....you will more likely have it on you when you need it.....it carrys that well...also it's just as accurate as any 1911 at ranges that matter for CC. If you prefer the bigger is better get the PPS in 40 cal....or wait 5 months and get the XDS in 45

But with my experiance with the many 1911s iv shot...it's PPS all the way.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Just picked up my PPS yesterday.  Nice slim pistol that's very light.  It is heavier than I thought, still light especially compared to a 1911.  PPS should disappear with an appendix holster.  

Between that and my Keltec 380 I'm set once my state allows CCW.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top