Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2011 7:32:41 AM EDT
Alright, I just came up with this idea and those of you who are more seasoned in shooting than I am can chime in.

Step 3 in the drawing process is to rotate the handgun toward the target. Would it be beneficial to have a laser on during this part of the draw? The way I see it, you can have your pistol on target more accurately, especially outside of point blank distance, while your sights are still not in view. It would allow you to fire more accurately during steps 3 and 4 of the drawing process. You would still press out like you normally would, but could start shooting a bit earlier if you needed to.

Does anyone already do this technique? I'm not suggesting using a laser in lieu of sights. I'm suggesting using the laser only during the draw process where the sights are not yet visible. You could probably save a good .25-.75 seconds on the first shot. I don't know about you guys but I'm no Todd Jarrett. My draw and first shot times are somewhere around 1.4-1.5 seconds if I want to hit with COM accuracy. I'll take any help I can get.

I realize this technique would only be limited to CCWers who have a laser or LEO/mil who are allowed to have attachments on their handguns. I'm not sure if you're allowed to have 2 electronic aiming devices in USPSA Open Division.

I'm not familiar with the light/laser combo options out there. I know of the TLR-2 and X400 but I don't know how they work and how easy it is to actuate the laser. I also hear that the laser gets washed out in the light.

ETA: If this technique doesn't exist already, I want it named after me and I want full credit for it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#1]
People already do that with out lasers.

As you clear the holster, you rotate the muzzle in the direction of the target.  You are then in a retention position.  If you need to fire, you can from either this position, or as your moving into your extended shooting position.  Generally used for close distance shooting only.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
People already do that with out lasers.

As you clear the holster, you rotate the muzzle in the direction of the target.  You are then in a retention position.  If you need to fire, you can from either this position, or as your moving into your extended shooting position.  Generally used for close distance shooting only.

I understand that. However, if you do it with a laser, you can actually aim instead of relying on point shooting or instinctive shooting for steps 3 and 4 of the draw. This would give you a much greater effective range IMO.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes....this is a great idea...and how many train with a laser....it's one of the main advantages of a laser over no laser.....getting the laser on instinctively is the hard part...a good reason the crimson ones are so good.

If you do get and carry with a laser pcactice dry fire a lot ..get use to activating the laser...for even the crimson require a firm grip.

I use a laserlyte micro on my PPS or XDm....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top