Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 10:25:31 AM EDT
Alrighty,
So over the years I've owned a lot of different handguns and traded alot, sold alot etc.  Over the years I've realized that I keep coming back to certain makes/models etc.  The things that really put me over the edge were the CMP and getting into Cowboy action shooting.  Now it seems that I'm obsessed with "acquiring" more "classic" guns.  Even though the AWB is over, and "hi caps" are again affordable, the only "new" gun I sorta' want (more out of curiosity) is a Springfield XD.  Other than that my "obsessions are"...

1911's (of course, to keep the CMP Garands company )
Browning Hi Powers
Pre-Lock S&W revolvers (particularly the 625 and 65LS...also looking for a 27)
Single Action revolvers
Lever action rifles

Anyone else "rediscover" classics recently?

Rich
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
What no lugers or P38s?  I'd like one of each, and a highpower, and a sig210, but the wallet won't let me right now.  I've got an old Colt Woodsman Match Target that I love.  I would part with just about anything before I'd ever part with that Colt.  And of course the 1911's.  

If I had the more money, I'd be buying more old guns.  But right now I'm just limited to my FAL, my 1911's and my AR's.  I've temporarliy satisfied myself with modern handguns.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Of course, if you want one, it's Classic by definition...

I have a Belgian-mfg Hi-power, a Series-70 Gold Cup, a Model 27, and a Colt Diamonback 4" .22 that altogether would fall into YOUR definition. All of these were acquired in the late '70's -- they are all excellent guns.

What I messed up on was not buying some of my childhood favorites at the same time when they were pretty cheap -- like Colt and Savage pocket pistols, Triple-Lock smiths, Wather PP in .22, etc.

As I had mentioned in another thread, there are some good deals right now in retired/trade-in copgun K-frame Smiths; I would regard many of these, like the .38 Combat Masterpieces, or the occasional odd 3" J-frame in .32, as really interesting guns for a reasonable price. Same goes for the free-standing ejector rod versions by Colt (Police Positive, Dick Special, the old original Cobra, etc.) These remind me of the old B&W hard-boiled detective movies where men were men -- no filters on the smokes, straight whiskey, in charge of the dames -- but they "threw" the bullets out of their old Colts, and had absolutely no use for the sights. (Oh well: at least they didn't hold their pieces in gangsta pose!!)

I passed up an Airweight recently, and won't do that again. I am also really interested in some of the smaller-frame Colt and S&W .32s, and a Walther PP/PPK or Mauser HSc in .32. Everyone I've ever met rolls his eyes when I say this, but, aside from rusty heaps or clearly defective pieces, I've never shot a major manufacturer .32 that didn't surprise me with its accuracy.

Don't forget the Commie classics, either. I am awaiting a decent Russian Tokarev, which aren't cheap anymore, but there are some ChoCom versions knocking around. Czech52 and Makarovs are interesting as well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought some 1st & 2nd Gen. Colt SA 40 yrs ago, that got me started collecting them, allways liked the fancy ones, (engraved or inlaid).  I also have a desire to own every Colt Ace ever made.  Savage semi-auto pistols were very cheap for many years and are of high quality, had to collect them!  Still looking for one of the .45acp models!  With the exception of 1 or 2 real dogs, I would like to have back EVERY firearm I have sold or traded over the years.  Just my opinions, Good luck, ALLONS11
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:55:03 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not a really old gun, but I think my .357 Colt Python is a classic. I don't own a S&W model 29, but Dirty Harry carried one so it's good enough for me. The single action pistol and lever action rifle are THE classic American firearms. So is the Kentucky long rifle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:22:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Lumpy,
Now don't go confusing "classic" with "safe-queen"  I use all my (what small amount there are) "classics" quite a bit.  I guess I should have said "classic designs".

Curious,
I hear ya on the "Commie" guns.  I also have a Bulgarian Mak and that thing is awesome!  Accurate as all get out, reliable, and in the true commie fashion, built like a tank.  I've been thinking about some of the S&W 10's that J&G and CDNN have in.

R
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Rich

No, my  mantra is function over everything else.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
fight4yourrights,
Why do you think they're classics?  They all functioned pretty darn well.  I mean your avatar is a (presumed) bolt action sniper rifle.  I'd certainly say a Rem 700 is a classic.

R
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
fight4yourrights,
Why do you think they're classics?  They all functioned pretty darn well.  I mean your avatar is a (presumed) bolt action sniper rifle.  I'd certainly say a Rem 700 is a classic.

R

Sure, a 700 is a classic - with a wood stock.

Me, it would have be be a synthetic.

Now a classic 700 deer rifle with a wood stock, the white lines, etc... does have a certain nostolgic appeal.

Just like my 1911's, I can't really bring myself to buy a "stock milspec" configuration.  Just want and need the newer, "tactical" features.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Alrighty,
So over the years I've owned a lot of different handguns and traded alot, sold alot etc.  Over the years I've realized that I keep coming back to certain makes/models etc.  The things that really put me over the edge were the CMP and getting into Cowboy action shooting.  Now it seems that I'm obsessed with "acquiring" more "classic" guns.  Even though the AWB is over, and "hi caps" are again affordable, the only "new" gun I sorta' want (more out of curiosity) is a Springfield XD.  Other than that my "obsessions are"...

1911's (of course, to keep the CMP Garands company )
Browning Hi Powers
Pre-Lock S&W revolvers (particularly the 625 and 65LS...also looking for a 27)
Single Action revolvers
Lever action rifles

Rich

Do you mean pre triple lock?  Never got rid of the wheel guns, lever and pumps.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#12]
No, smart-ass I mean pre "lawyer-lock".

R
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#13]
i'm with lumpy.  everything i own is for the express purpose of saving my ass.  other than my tactical police savage.  that's for voting!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top