Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 12:35:20 PM EDT
Last weekend at the gunshow I attended, I made an impulse buy of a 2" Smith & Wesson Model 10.  This is just a plain jane blue 2" 6 shot .38 Special revolver, which is perfect for teaching my young daughter how to shoot.
This gun is brand new; does anybody know if S&W made a special run of these or anything about them?  S&W makes very few blued guns anymore, and even though their website lists a 4" model 10, I haven't seen a new one from the factory in years.
I'm just kind of wondering if this was some kind of governmental over-run that ended up in the retail market.
Anybody know?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It can be NIB w/o being a recent production. As for your daughter, I'd suggest starting her out with .38sp wadcutters for lower recoil then work up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Does it have a BBL pin ???
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Like Bob said it may be NIB but been sitting on the shelf for a number of years.  2" Model 10's were never exactly big sellers.  If you wanted a Smith snubbie you bought the Chiefs Special.  If you had to have six rounds you bought the Colt Detective Special.  Two inch M-10's got overlooked.  

I would perhaps rethink the idea of using the 2 inch as a first gun for teaching your daughter.  Snubbies can be frustratingly difficult to shoot.  Short barrel and short sight radius can make accuracy elusive.  The guns will shoot, but it requres some effort on the part of the shooter.  You may want something with a longer barrel to start out with.

Barry

Owner of two M-10's. a four inch HB and a five inch in nickel.  A two inch and a three inch are on the "list".  And I may have to reacquire a four inch pencil barrel to make the set complete.  Oh, and the six inch as well.  Except its been years since I've seen a six inch 10.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Its a brand new production style, with the floating firing pin instead of the fixed one on the hammer, the different cylinder release, the rubber grips and the reinforcement along the left side in front of the cylinder release, and no barrel pin.
Its for sure been made since S&W redesigned their guns, I saw them in a CDNN catalog about a year ago.
It was only $299, and you probably can't buy a decent Taurus or Ruger for that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice snag!  +1 on the Wadcutters!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Definitely a good price. MSRP on a new Model 10 is over $500 last I checked.  $299 is getting close to the used market.  Well done.

As far as when or why Smith made them, who knows.  Smith cranks out all sorts of stuff that doesn't show up in the catalog.  You may not remember it but in the early nineties Smith was on a flavor of the week kick with their nines.  Just about any possible variation came out at one time or another.  All the distributor had to do was order a minimum amount (500 comes to mind) and they would turn it out.  Got some pretty weird variations.  Compact slides on full size frames.  Lots of two tones.  Full size slide on compact frame. Strange stuff.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top