Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 7:18:30 AM EDT
And was it the greatest thing you've ever done?

I've got a S&W Model 19-3 with a 2.5" bbl that I just love and have always wondered how much faster it would be to reload if I had the cylinder holes chamfered.

Now I see that Brownells is selling kits for under $75 I'm really temtped to do it - anyone have a bad experience with chamfered cylinders?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I did it to my S&W 686 right after I got it a few years ago. I use the gun to shoot combat, and use hollow based wadcutters. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to load the gun fast. Never had a problem with it either. I don't quite remember what I used, but It was some bit I had at home and didn't spend anywhere near $75 for it.   My .02
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to do-it-at-home, REMOVE THE EJECTOR FROM THE CYLINDER FIRST.

Chamfer only the cylinder's chamber mouths, and don't go too far in.  A little is all it takes, and too much weakens the chamber support and can lead to blown, bulged cases.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:59:51 AM EDT
[#4]
That is an awesome story.

Thanks for the input guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top