Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2011 5:31:46 PM EDT
Looking to add a Glock G19 Gen III to the stable.  While I own more than a few handguns, this will be my first Glock.  Some will say it's about time, others will say I'm giving up.  Anyway, I'm in the market.

So, question is, what versions were available from the factory?  Night sites?  Any other versions to look for?  Stay away from?  I'd preferably like to find a new, unfired one.  However, something gently used at the right price would work too as I plan to use it.  I'd appreciate any input from those of you that know Glock.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Options:
OD plastic
Rough textured frame
EXO- it's a silver slide.
Night sights were discontinued on non LE guns.

All of them are good to go. Also consider getting a 17 or 34 and having the frame cut for 19 mags.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont get the rough textured frame if you want to carry it. The grip will rip the hide right off of you. It feels like sandpaper!
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, question # 2:  Again coming from a non-Glock guy.  How do I identify a Gen III?

I know Gen 4's are stamped as such on the slide.  Are the 3's?  I think I've seen/read that it was with the  Gen 3's that Glock went to the finger groove grip, is that true?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Finger grooves, shiny slide.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Gen 3's also have rails for lights.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gen 3's also have rails for lights.

I forgot that. I don't use handgun mounted lights.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:51:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dont get the rough textured frame if you want to carry it. The grip will rip the hide right off of you. It feels like sandpaper!

No it won't.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

At one time there was a Gen 2.5 that had those features without a rail.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Do it. Make sure you get a ghost connector. Easy install and makes the trigger much nicer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not all are shiny––-my Gen III 19 has the regular finish.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:56:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

All of them are good to go. Also consider getting a 17 or 34 and having the frame cut for 19 mags.

I really don't want to derail the thread, but where or how does one get the frame cut down for 19 mags?  I hated the 19 in my hand but really liked the 17.  This would be the perfect solution.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really don't want to derail the thread, but where or how does one get the frame cut down for 19 mags?  I hated the 19 in my hand but really liked the 17.  This would be the perfect solution.

I'm not so sure it would be that perfect––-it would leave the 17 or 34 with the grip of a 19, essentially.  So if the way it feels in the hand is the sticking point, I'd say this would just duplicate the sensation with a longer barrel and slide.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all are shiny––-my Gen III 19 has the regular finish.

My G19 is kind of shiny, but my G26 looks almost parkerized.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a standard stock Gen3 G19, add night sights of your choice to it, buy a shitload of mags, and enjoy one of the best pistols made.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not so sure it would be that perfect––-it would leave the 17 or 34 with the grip of a 19, essentially.  So if the way it feels in the hand is the sticking point, I'd say this would just duplicate the sensation with a longer barrel and slide.

The problem with the 19 is the finger grooves don't line up correctly.  They do on the 17, for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily.  The G19 grip is slightly different, not just shorter, than the G17 grip.  I have heard a lot of people complain about the difference.  I've never detected it myself while holding the two side by side, but others notice it quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I carry a G17 with the TRF2 frame texture everyday.  It has yet to rip any of my hide off while be carried.  

It has also never been overly hard on my hands while shooting.

Maybe some folks have more sensitive skin than I do.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true. The compact frames (G19, 23, etc.) are significantly different then the full size frames (G17, 22, etc.) particularly on the gen3 and up. It's not just about length but also about where the rear hump sits in your hand and the finger groove spacing on the front strap.

That said, I think having the G17's frame cut down to G19 size would be a waste of money. It would cost you at least $100 to have someone do the work and then your G17/G19 hybrid would be worth at least $100 less then what you paid for it. In all honestly the full size frames are not that much bigger then the compact frames so is loosing ~1-2" of the grip frame worth the $200+ net lose it would cost you to have it done? Not IMO

To the OP - If you do not have a need for the light rail then do not rule out a Gen2 G19. Due to the lack of rail and finger grooves the Gen2 G19's are more desirable IMO then the Gen3's. If you do go Gen3, I would suggest you try and find an RTF2 frame. Don't listen to the people who say that the RTF2 texture is too rough, chance are they have never even shot one much less owned one. Everyone I know with an RTF2 frame loves it. I unfortunately do not own one but I have shot one and that new texture does grip the hand much better then the original RTF texture.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#19]
As an addition to airgunner's post above, one of my many Glocks is an RTF2. Now I wish all my Glocks were RTF2s.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Get one you will be happy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the way the 19 carries and the 17 shoots. Thanks to the dremel, I can have both. Damn the cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top