Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 9:05:04 PM EDT
What do you guys think about the Browning BDM?  I have had one for about 15 years with 2 no-ban magazines and I think it is one of the greatest pistols ever made.  Seems like an updated version of a Hi-Power.    

Simple to disassemble
Very erogonmic and slim
Reliable
Fits in 1911/Hi Power holsters

Compare it to a Berretta or Sig and the BDM feels so much better because the other two feel 'fat' to me and I don't like the design of the Beretta 92 especially the safety on the slide.  I dont know why our military uses the Beretta 92.  The Sig 229 that I have seems like a brick.

So my questions are:  Why didn't this pistol become more popular?  Is Browning to politically correct?  I have not been able to find any more 15rd magazines for it, where can I find some?

Scott
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#1]
scottryan, the BDM is a great pistol that was made in the wrong caliber. What do I mean? Browning produced 9mm pistols for a market that wanted 40 S&W weapons. As to the pistol itself my BDM is second only to my Walther P88 in accuracy. If you haven't gathered it I like the BDM a lot. Regards, Richard:D
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#2]
The BDM is nice and slim. Sportsmans Guide has 15 rd BDM mags. I called they told me they weren't factory mags and might be Western mags.
JR

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i=85784
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Are Western mags any good?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#4]
FN does a shitty job marketing the Browning brand to the US civilian market (Really, 70 years and no .45ACP High Power?).  I've heard it's because the company makes so much of it's revenue from machine gun sales to military customers that the civilian business is treated as an afterthought.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Safety works in the wrong direction...  at least compared to 1911s...  otherwise I would own one and perhaps use it for CCW...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Safety works in the wrong direction...  at least compared to 1911s...  otherwise I would own one and perhaps use it for CCW...

I agree.  This is the only point I have against the pistol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I sold mine because of the "muddy" trigger action.  It was the only full size nine that fit my hand, but I never shot it enough to get over the weirdness of the trigger.  It's my understanding that the "up" safety was at the request of some govt agency that was looking for a new sidearm, and Browning didn't get the contract.  

I had 3 factory 15rd mags, 2 10rd mags, and everything that came with the like-new pistol and practically had to give the thing away (because I bought something else and had to pay it off....).
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
FN does a shitty job marketing the Browning brand to the US civilian market (Really, 70 years and no .45ACP High Power?).  I've heard it's because the company makes so much of it's revenue from machine gun sales to military customers that the civilian business is treated as an afterthought.

A .45 caliber high-power would be a double stack linkless 1911 as near as I can tell.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top