Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 9:32:59 PM EDT
I am considering the Springfield Armory "Loaded" Champion for a CCW in a Milt Sparks Versamax II IWB holster. Would this be a good choice as a reliable concealed carry weapon? I think the slim frame of the 1911's and the proven stopping power of the .45 ACP would be a big plus in a CCW and this is why I am considering the 1911. Does anyone here have firsthand knowledge of these pistols as far as reliability, concealability, and accuracy are concerned? I am also considering Kimbers lineup. Specifically the Kimber ProCarry HD II. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Please steer me in the right direction. - Nugz

Springfield

Kimber
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:50:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the 4 inch barrel platform.  I carry a newer Colt Commander. The slim frame hides well, and the shorter barrel makes it easier to sit down, bend over.  With a 45 you only loose 50 fps in bullet speed for each inch you loose anyway.  My Commander is as or more accurate than my 5 in Gov model.  

I have had good used out of my Colt Commander, and at $579 out the door, it was a lot of bang for the buck.  Take a look at one...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:26:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Have used and carried Commanders and the like for years...decades, actually. I have a Kimber ProCarry Series 1 that I like a lot and use often, but I am not real crazy about the bushingless system...even though I have never had a problem with it. I do, however, much prefer the lightweight frame to the all steel models for CCW...makes a pretty good bit of difference for me at the end of a long day. Others, however, like and prefer the all steel guns. If I was building up a Commander type carry gun now, I would probably pay the premium for an old Colt LW (without the extra safety stuff) and go from there...expensive but that would be my preference.

Of what is currently available at reasonable prices, I think your choice of either the Kimber or the SA is logical and you will probably be happy with either. The VersaMax is, I hear, a great holster, but my Summer Specials have served me well for over twenty years.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:13:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Good choice. I think the really short-barreled 1911s tend to have more reliability issues than a slightly larger pistol. The champion/compact/commander series is the way to go.

I have a series 1 compact Kimber (~4" barrel). Nice shooter and reasonably accurate. I also have a loaded OG Green Springfield, which is now my favorite .45. Excellent pistol.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the Kimber CDP guns myself:
http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/procdp_II.jpg

Lightweight, 'melted' treatment all over, and usual Kimber stuff - excellent trigger, sights, accuracy etc.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Kimber
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Go with a Kimber...Great choice of holster and don skimp on a good belt.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the advice guys. I am really shocked that nobody has given the default Arfcom advice: "Get both!"

It sounds like the majority here prefer Kimber and to be honest I was looking only at Kimber until I found the Springfield "Loaded" Series. I do intend to go with the Milt Sparks Versamax II and a high quality leather belt.

Weight is a secondary concern with me. I am a pretty big guy and the extra ten ounces or so of the all steel guns doesnt bother me at all. The extra weight actually feels more natural in my hand and seems to point better for me for some reason. What does bother me in a CCW is the "bulk" of most pistols, thus my attraction to the slim frame of the 1911's.

I will take another look at the Kimbers and see what I can come up with. If anyone else has any further suggestions or opinions before I commit to a purchase I would like to hear from them. Thanks again guys. - Nugz  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I carry a colt compact, strong side, owb.  one spare mag weakside.

1911- it's a good choice, and the .45ACP best round IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top