Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 6:41:54 PM EDT
My wife bought one of those Kel-Tec .380, while we were at the range after about 40 rds,
I look over and notice the damn take down pin was walking out while she was shooting
(cease fire) I cleared the weapon and took it right back to where she bought it,
Jim Pruett's Gun Store, Houston, Texas
Jim himself was there and was very helpful, so we decided to trade it in and upgrade to a
Taurus PT-111, Has anyone had any good or bad things about this weapon? My wife is new to
shooting, and don't want her to get gun shy from the sport, it took me 15 years to go to the range
with me. Don't need another lemon
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know if thats considered an upgrade...

Reviews on those guns isnt very well, they all end at how well the warranty is (I think thats the last thing you should have to resort to)

And Pruetts is a very expensive store. Ever been to Fountain Firearms on Hwy 6 and Bissonat?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Taurus makes many well-made pistols for the price.  Especially their beretta clones... but I think the PT-111 is well known for being the "red headed step child" of the taurus line.  

Some guys (and gals) love them and swear by them, others curse them avidly. I hope you got a good one and  your wife likes it.

I had to buy my wife a Walther P22 to get her to the range... and now she is ready to upgrade to the Walther P99 (she likes the way the Walthers grip and feel)
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Put me down in the anti PT111 column. My opinion is it is one of the best conceived and most poorly executed handguns made. The trigger on mine is terrible and Taurus knows it yet they offer no customer service to help. There has to be a better 9mm; wait there is. Buy a used Star BM from J&G for $129 it is a far better handgun. Regards, Richard:D
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help, any suggestions ? she has small hands and something like my glock or the
Springfield XD won't fit in her hands ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Show her this article:

www.womenshooters.com/archive/old0702issue/tacoma0802.html

Now there is a gun built for the ladies
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Both guns you mentioned, the Kel tec and PT-111 are IMHO total and complete Peices of shit.  I bought a PT-111 (traded and SAR-1 for it, stupid move).  What I didn't like about the 111 you say, how about a shitty trigger making it wildly inaccurate, hard to put back together after cleaning, and extra mags were expensive.  Get a Beretta Tomcat or a small 38 revolver.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought one for under the lady's bed.  She can't function the slide on the Hk so the PT111 is what she got.  She shoots it very accurately for what it is.  With that gun she out shoots me(with the same gun).  She likes it.  I haven't had any problems as far as ftf, fte, ftfire.  For what the gun is/costs I don't think it is too bad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info, PT111 is out and so is the Kel-Tec, gee wonder if the pistol grip of a mini-gun would fit her hands, we be looking at the P38
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry, meant the P99
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top