Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 3:31:32 PM EDT
I am considering a used G17 as a Range Gun  and a local match gun... (too big to carry... I carry my G19).  

I am wondering if they tend to be a pretty good used value, or should I go ahead and spring for a new one?

Edited to add: This is not a question as to "get a Glock or not get a Glock" , but rather a question as to get a NIB Glock, or a USED Glock.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If you already have a G-19, I'd just go with a used one.  It's not like they're prone to wearing out quickly.

Ross  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Used will be fine
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:47:07 AM EDT
[#3]
A G17 is probably the most reliable gun on the planet. I can't imagine getting a bad one so used should be fine.

I've been meaning to ask you... You talk about your G19 all the time but I noticed you are trying to sell it over on the EE. What's up with that?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#5]
GLOCKs are workhorses. A used GLOCK as long as it has been maintained correctly is a great buy.

J
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Well it seems that the Glocks hold their value pretty well.  Around here the new ones are not that much more expensive than the used ones...

And that was pretty much my question... was as to the VALUE, rather than the quality... I already know Glocks are top notch.  

I can save maybe 50-75 dollars buying a used one, but for that price I would almost rather just have it new.  Brand new G22s, and 17s (my next glock I think) here go for around 499 while used ones are going for 429-469 depending on age/condition etc...

To me they are like pokeymons are to kids... Gotta Catch Them All!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#7]
ALL of mine were used when I got them.  Now they are MORE used.  Never broke a part.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
GLOCKs are workhorses. A used GLOCK as long as it has been maintained correctly is a great buy. J

"maintained correctly"  ???  What does that mean?  Glocks require almost zero maintenance.... so I assume you mean, "not *overtly* abused"  ?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#9]
there were some police trade in glocks on cdnn last i checked.  Go to cdnninvestments.com and look if their newest catalog has them for cheap.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
there were some police trade in glocks on cdnn last i checked.  Go to cdnninvestments.com and look if their newest catalog has them for cheap.

Cool!  Thanks for the info!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
GLOCKs are workhorses. A used GLOCK as long as it has been maintained correctly is a great buy. J

"maintained correctly"  ???  What does that mean?  Glocks require almost zero maintenance.... so I assume you mean, "not *overtly* abused"  ?

If you abuse a firearm  you have incorrectly cared for it.

J
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Everyone always says to get used guns from these police trade in sites...but, after shipping plus FFL transfer, they always seem to be about the same price as I'd pay for a used one.  Is there any way around this that I'm not aware of?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#13]
if you can afford the extra $75, why wouldn't you go new?

glock frequently puts out crappy guns.  i would venture to say you are far more likely to find an unreliable/inaccurate used glock vs. new; people keep the ones that work.

if you get a new glock that doesn't work glock will happily fix it.  i have no experience sending them a used one.

before i get flamed for the "frequently puts out crappy guns" remark, i've had:

g17-  wildly innaccurate
g19-  developed reliability issues after couple hundred rounds
g20-  took about 700 rounds of EXPENSIVE ammo to become reliable
g34-  wasn't reliable with high cap mags and wasn't as accurate as my g26

these guns are now other people's problems.  with full disclosure, of course.  some sellers might not be so honest.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I personally wouldn't want to buy one of the "I can go longer than you can without cleaning it" guns second hand, nor would I want a "look, I can run over my glock with a semi, pick it up and fire it gun."  While I admittedly don't own any Glocks, there is a proper way to maintain any firearm, even if it is a "wonder gun."  So it'll shoot when it's covered in grit and mud?  Great!  Think of how much easier it is on your equipement if it's cleaned and oiled after every use.  I've no doubt about Glocks excellent durability, but I still wouldn't want to buy a torture test gun.    
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I personally wouldn't want to buy one of the "I can go longer than you can without cleaning it" guns second hand, nor would I want a "look, I can run over my glock with a semi, pick it up and fire it gun."  While I admittedly don't own any Glocks, there is a proper way to maintain any firearm, even if it is a "wonder gun."  So it'll shoot when it's covered in grit and mud?  Great!  Think of how much easier it is on your equipement if it's cleaned and oiled after every use.  I've no doubt about Glocks excellent durability, but I still wouldn't want to buy a torture test gun.    

Im lost... you wont buy any gun brand that someone has "torture tested"????

I would think that most every brand has been "torture tested" at one point in time or another.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm still paying off a used Gen 3 glock 17 w/ night sights, $425 couldn't beat it. I was able to shoot it before I bought it since it was used, always nice. But then again, I have owned all sorts of handguns that I bought used and have never had a problem. Especially with a gun like a glock, it would be hard to shoot one out. I do stay away from custom race gun 1911's figuring that it was probably some competitors problem gun.

Everything will break though if you shoot it enough.

I'm all for you guys that refuse to buy used guns, leaves more deals for me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah... finding a good deal on a used gun is great... but it just seems around here that USED Glocks are NOT much cheaper than NEW ones... and for a 50 dollar bill I woudl rather go new.  

This means either 1. Glocks hold their value ... or 2. My favorite FFL is ripping people off by over charging for used Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I find new glocks in my area go for $549. Used, depends on if it is consignment or not, ranging about $400 to $450, at most shops that I've been to. Add night sights and prices go up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Used is fine but be very careful if they have a rubber grip sleeve (Hogue) on them. Remove the rubber grip and examine the frame underneath. I know a guy that was burned by a dealer this way. He bought a 19 LEO trade in that had a good chunk out of the frame under the grip. Didn't notice it for several days.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#21]
17,19,22,35,26,19, 30.  Owner.  100% reliable, accurate, proven.  I shoot 'em all a lot.  No wives tales here, they were all used when I got them, more used now.  One was a LEO trade in, another was my bro's LEO carry gun for a couple years.  I also have Sigs, a Kimber, S&W, you name it, so I am not a Glock preacher.  I just don't like people slamming them that haven't even been in the same room with one, let alone actually becoming intimate with one and learning how to use it properly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would think that most every brand has been "torture tested" at one point in time or another.

I didn't say anything about a gun "Brand" that was torture tested.  I said I wouldn't want to buy a "GUN" that has been torture tested as many Glock owners seem so keen to do.  No matter what brand it is.

I don't want to buy a gun that hasn't been well cared for.  It's that simple.  And that's ALL that I'm saying.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't say anything about a gun "Brand" that was torture tested.  I said I wouldn't want to buy a "GUN" that has been torture tested as many Glock owners seem so keen to do.  No matter what brand it is.

I don't want to buy a gun that hasn't been well cared for.  It's that simple.  And that's ALL that I'm saying.  

OH!!!  Okay... Gotcha!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:41:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I used to work at a gun shop, had a bunch of customers that would ask how much a used gun has been shot, and how it was take cared of.

Our standard answer was, that the gun had only been driven to church on Sundays by a
little old lady...
and that if the gun broke within 30 days of purchase, we would repair it for free. We also gave free one range visit the purchase of every gun, new or used.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Do you know what to look for as far as whether the gun has been abused or not? If not IM me and I'll tell you as much as I know. The rule of thumb I go by is buying used is buying someone else's problems. I have had pretty good luck as far as buying used but I also know what to look for . If you feel that the used gun is a good deal , buy it and use the saved money for ammo and spare mags. Hope this helps. Take care. Coondog  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#26]
"The rule of thumb I go by is buying used is buying someone else's problems. "

I don't think that's the case anymore. After working behind the counter, I noticed that the 1st thing people sell when they need money is their guns.
They don't sell their TV or their DVD player, they sell their guns.

That and most people like myself don't believe in keeping every gun they buy. Most will trade to something else or will purposely buy guns they can sell later on.

As i said before, i do stay away from overpriced tricked out 1911's because those will usually fit your rule. modern guns like glocks, sigs, & berettas
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#27]
You can get Glocks that have been checked and repaired by Glock Armorers for a nice savings of about $100.00.

MT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top