Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2004 6:10:46 PM EDT
I carry a SIG 239 just about every time I go out, because some places do not allow you to carry inside. I have to leave my handgun inside my vehicle. I do not feel comfortable leaving it just placed in a glove box or center console. I would find some ideas of how to place a lock box, gun safe or some sort of secure device to store my sig when I’m not carrying it. I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy 4 door; there is no locking glove box or locking center console. Any ideas would be helpful for me to secure my handgun in. I would like something that people would not know what it is as well.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]
They have small lock boxes that you could mount under your seat.  Let me see if I can dig up a link/pic.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
here ya go.  something like this:

Galls® Vehicle Evidence Locker

Ensure crime scene evidence integrity and control chain of evidence with this 22 gauge powder coated steel locker.
Standard key locks protect against loss
Internal permanent mounting system provides second level of protection against disappearance
Adjustable mount system for different vehicle types
Two adjustable dividers to keep evidence separated
Small measures 6"H x 14-1/4"W x 11"D
Large measures 9"H x 16"W x 14"D
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Perhaps even cheaper is the idea of going to walmart and buying a 10 dollar steel lock box with a key... and one of your spare cable gun locks... cable the box to the rail under your seat. OR just cable the gun itself through the trigger guard under the seat. I guess it depends on how much money you are willing to throw into it and where/when you are going to these restricted areas.

Also... I dont know how your vehicle is built, but my jeep cherokee has folding back seats... and the back seat cushion lifts forward to allow the seat back to fold flat... but if you just lift the seat cushion there is a space there large enough to accomodate a handgun and I dont think a burgler is going ot think to Half-Fold the back seat down in order search for valuables...

I also knew a feller a few years ago who took a large book (encyclopedia or whatever) and hollowed out the pages and put his piece in there and then just left the book laying in the floorboard... after all he said... who ever complained that his book was stolen in a car break-in... I personally dont think this is a great idea, but it is a clever one.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Bear, I knew there was something about you I liked!  Cherokee drivers like you and I are the salt of the earth!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bear, I knew there was something about you I liked!  Cherokee drivers like you and I are the salt of the earth!

Amen Brother!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I use (in my home for years, planned for next vehicle) and recommend The HandGun Box www.handgunsafe.com/.  Very well built.  Simple yet effective MECHANICAL code lock (no batteries to fail), good prices, has exceeded my every expectation.  When I get a new truck I'd like to weld or bolt one to the floor.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#8]
MonkeyGrip speaks words of truth . . .

I installed one of these handgun safes in my Chevy Silverado.  Removed the cup holder that was attached to the front seat and bolted the safe to the floor.  

These handgun safes are VERY easy to use and are of very high quality.  Really doubt that anyone would get into one is a short amount of time.  

Not cheap -- but worth every penny that I paid . . . . .
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help, I'll look into The Handgun Box, I do not have much room under a seat but thinking about the front hump near the radio. Taking that out and buying extra carpet to throw over it to blend in.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Tuffy Security Console in my Jeep Wrangler and it works great!

Here is a link:

www.tuffyproducts.com/
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Perhaps even cheaper is the idea of going to walmart and buying a 10 dollar steel lock box with a key... and one of your spare cable gun locks... cable the box to the rail under your seat. OR just cable the gun itself through the trigger guard under the seat. I guess it depends on how much money you are willing to throw into it and where/when you are going to these restricted areas.

Also... I dont know how your vehicle is built, but my jeep cherokee has folding back seats... and the back seat cushion lifts forward to allow the seat back to fold flat... but if you just lift the seat cushion there is a space there large enough to accomodate a handgun and I dont think a burgler is going ot think to Half-Fold the back seat down in order search for valuables...

I also knew a feller a few years ago who took a large book (encyclopedia or whatever) and hollowed out the pages and put his piece in there and then just left the book laying in the floorboard... after all he said... who ever complained that his book was stolen in a car break-in... I personally dont think this is a great idea, but it is a clever one.

Now I will!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I am having a mini vualt installed in my 1989 Chevy Blazer red-neck mobile.  

It will either end up under the driver's seat or the passenger seat.  Its the mechanic's choice and that will depend on which one it fitrs under.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am having a mini vualt installed in my 1989 Chevy Blazer red-neck mobile.  

It will either end up under the driver's seat or the passenger seat.  Its the mechanic's choice and that will depend on which one it fitrs under.

How much is it costing you to have it installed? I'm really thinking about ordering The Handgun Box for my center console, I don't have any room under the seats and want to put in a spot where I can unholster without scaring people either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top