Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2004 10:06:44 AM EDT
I'm going to be going on a fairly long backpack trip, and am thinking of carrying a pistol for protection. I know it's unlikely that I'll be confronted by an angry animal, especially one that wouldn't be turned away by some good bear pepper spray. I simply like the idea of having a good weapon, "just in case."

I'm considering a 6.5" S&W 629 Classic, but I'd like to hear recomendations on other .44mag revolvers.

Now this is possibly the deeper question... With a full-on hiking backpack on my back, large hip belt, sternum strap, and all... Where the heck do I put the gun?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats a heavy ass gun for a long backpacking trip.  I would suggest a full size auto in .45 or .357 sig for animal deterrence.  Both should cover you well unless you meet a mad grizzly, in which case the .44mag won't do you a whole lot of good either unless you are lucky.  Drop leg holsters for the auto should be plentiful.  Personally, I would take a Sig P226 w/ the 357 barrel, a couple extra 13rd mags, and a blackhawk thigh holster.  Just my .02.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Capro,

Where are you going hiking?

I wouldn't carry a 44MAG on a hiking trip...I can barely carry myself. I usually carry a Ruger MKII or rely on my LFLGM.........
lightning fast levitation get-away maneuver

MT
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually take my glock27 when I hike or backpack. Very comfortable to carry as well as conceal, however it packs a good nasty punch. A 44.mag is an awesome gun, but can get VERY heavy as well as limit your options for comfort. good luck!                          dan
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of these that I attach to the waist belt on my pack. During the day it holds a Glock 17 and an extra mag. At night I switch the extra mag out for a Surefire light.

thewilderness.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2/products_id/18?osCsid=b3bd3d1d679ce1d2075980903d8122a7
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]
The 629 is, as far as I'm concerned, pure art and a true classic.  However, here's my prescription for your situation:

Glock 20 in a leg-drop holster.  One 15 round magazine in the gun loaded with 220gr hard-cast from DoubleTap (plus one in the pipe).  Another 15-rounder on the holster full of your hollow-point load of choice.  Throw in the optional 6" barrel and you turn it into a legitimate hunting pistol.

Not counting the extra magazine, you more than double your firepower in a lighter package.  It's riding low on your thigh, completely out of the way of your other gear but right there if/when (God forbid) you need it.

One (slight) drawback, the 10mm's external ballistics are closer to a .41 than a .44 mag.  With those  DoubleTap solids, though, there's not a critter in North America you wouldn't punch nice hole in, be it two- or four-legged.

EDIT:  i_b's rig looks like a viable carry solution, too, and it's definitely more discrete.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#6]
How about one of these, from Dana Designs.  When I was involved in Search & Rescue work, I could carry in the pocket on this, along with a few snacks and some water.  It attaches between the lower part of the shoulder straps on your pack.  Its mostly out of the way, and a convenient place to put small odds and ends that you might want without having to take off the pack.   It's discreet, and convenient, although not really fast or anything.  Just another option.

dp

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Edit: never mind, hadn't checked that thread in a while...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, where ya hikin?

I carried a Sig P226 in 9mm with Gold Dot +p in a Safariland 6004. I could run full tilt for about a mile and it never rubbed me the wrong way. I saw the light and purchased a USP .45F, which im considering another 6004 for.

In WA state, the biggest thing you'll run into: Man, black bear, mountain lion. In that order. Ive heard of random/rare brown bear sightings, but they werent grizzly size AFAIK.

The .45/10mm/.357 family will do fine around here. Your biggest threat would be wacked out meth heads or mountain lion, both of which react well (see: dying) to bullets :)

Keep in mind the mountain lions like to stalk...keep an eye on your six when out in the boonies alone.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#9]
G20.  Don't forget a lanyard if you go swimming.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Glock 20 or 29 in 10mm. It is a lot lighter than the 6.5 " Smith. Regards, Richard:D
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Ever heard of a "pistol pacK" insert? It's an insert that is a cloth covered pack sized board that has a pistol holster and mag pocket built in, I use one in my soft laptop briefcase, works quite well, made for a backpack but works in a briefcase too.

they have it here

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input guys.

I have a glock 23, so I could easily adapt that to 357 sig.

As far as a holster, that safepacker looks pretty interesting, I might give that a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top