Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2022 4:35:31 AM EDT
What are your thoughts on P01 vs P07 and the SP01 vs Phantom?  Frame feel, function, things that stand out to you.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 6:54:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Having been a LOONG time CZ fan, I can say I have tried every CZ poly frame out there, to include the ill fated and unlamented CZ100. I was overwhelmingly "meh" when I saw the P-10 series...until I held one. Now I have a few and my son and wife both have one. Nothing wrong with the steel/alloy framed CZs at all, only lost the ones I had due to my ex. I still think the CZ 75 PCR is the best alloy framed DA/SA CCW pistol ever made, but that's a personal feeling. But my P-10C FDE is my EDC and has been for years, and probably will be for some years to come.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I have P07/P09 and steel/aluminum framed CZs.  Full sized and Compact.

Nothing feels better in my hand than the P01 guns.  I have CZ75 Compacts but the P01 is immediately noticeable when grab one.  Not for the weight, for the "feel."  I believe its the grooves on the back of the frame that I can feel and it makes the P01 stand out for me.  The full sized CZ85/CZ75B guns are fine as well, for fit/feel in my hand.

I like the CZ85 controls (ambidextrous safeties and slide stop/release).  I like it enough I've converted a CZ75 Compact and a CZ75B .40 to use CZ85 controls.  I've only carried the converted CZ75 Compact, years ago.

The P07 and P09 do not fit my hand nearly as well as the metal framed pistols.  But they shoot so much better groups for me that I carry the P07 all the time.  P09 is too big for me to carry concealed but even outshoots the P07.  I will sacrifice the "feel/fit" for smaller groups.

No real reliability issues with either frame style.  Had an every so often failure to feed issue with my first Omega P01.  Polished the feed ramp on the barrel and no further issues with that.  None of the others have had issues, metal or plastic.

Most people say the metal framed guns can have a better trigger than the polymer framed guns.  Maybe with some work and aftermarket parts.  But out of the box my P07/P09 pistols had better triggers than the CZ85, P01, CZ75B pistols.  With parts upgrades a couple of the metal framed guns are now better than the P07/P09 guns but still don't shoot better groups for me.

No experience at all with the CZ striker fired guns.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I like this question. No experience with the Phantom sadly, but maybe one day.

After about a decade and a few samples of each (SP01, P09, P07, P01) I went with the metal frame 75 series and that’s after running USPSA, Steel Challenge, reactive drills/shooting drills, run and gun, etc.

I have small/medium hands and the polymer P series is too thin side to side for me to get a good support hand position, without or without skate tape. Metal frame 75’s with slim grips are a whole other story - the meat of my support hand palm can get slightly behind the gun which increases my personal recoil control and follow up shot consistency.

I prefer to modify grip width (with side panels/stocks/standard grips) vs modifying backstraps.

The slides are larger on the polymer P series, and that mass slows down sight tracking (reportedly) for some. I will say I prefer the “faster” cycling of the 75, it may be more abrupt but I process it better. I never found any real substantial difference in slide racking between the polymer and metal frame models, but I will say the mag wells on the 75 (when they have beveled mag wells) have been much smoother and faster than with the angular sharp P series mags even after whittling on the plastic mag well.

Sometimes I’ll eject a mag and do some mag change drills because it’s that satisfying with MecGar mags in a PCR, P01, SP01 etc.

I’ve had smoother triggers in the metal framed guns, which matters ALOT to me as I’m carrying it DA. This is with CGW/CZC parts. I suspect the 1911-esque trigger bar of the 75 plays a role in a smoother trigger.

All in all, I’ve seen good work done by the P07/P09, but the 75 series was simply the “easy button” for me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input all
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I shoot Shadow 2's with SRO's in competition.  I have several P10's with dots.  I just put a dot on a P01.  I am REALLY digging the P01.  It is literally a small Shadow 2.  I don't really think I need a plastic hammer fired gun in my life.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Different strokes. For me, the metal frame 75s are perfect. None of the polymer offerings really interest me, not because they are polymer, they just don't feel right to me. On the other hand, I have a friend who's probably about as much of a CZ fan as I am and he really likes the P10 series, and carries a P10C. I carry a PCR and like someone else said, it's nearly perfect to me.

Even the SP01 and P01 don't feel quite right to me. They just don't have quite the same feel I get from a standard 75B or 75B SAO. I've had two SP01s over the years, sold them both.

My favorite pistol by far is the 75 SAO. Here's one of my SAOs and my PCR carry gun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top