Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2010 7:30:37 AM EDT
Ive had a Glock 17, XD, and a M&P, all in 9mm and have sold them all because I was never totally happy with them. Ive just recently looked at the CZ, but have never picked one up. Looking at the SP-01, is this a good gun, anyone own one? I have medium sized hands, wondering if its a huge pistol or not. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like youre have a little trouble finding a gun?

have you tried going to a gun show or shows and handling as many 9s as you can find?   or how about gun rental ranges?  even asking co workers/friends/shooting buds what they have in 9s?

you need to handle first and if possible try shooting them.  

i can tell you the CZ is great, but thats what people say about the tupperware you just dumped and the others ones too.

"huge pistol" is relaitive.  same for "medium size" hands.  

btw, can you explain  
sold them all because I was never totally happy with them
what does that mean?   was it the color, shape, capacity, sights, grips... ??   be more specific so others can help.  

to quote Jerry McGuire..." help us, help you"

Link Posted: 10/10/2010 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I sold them all beacause of how they felt in my hand, not because of any problems. And yes Im haveing a terrible time finding the right gun! Went to the local gunshop today and played with a few. SP-01, P30, FNX, G19/17, and M&P 9. The SP-01 was a chunk! It did feal good in the hands but it was a little to much of a reach for the trigger in double action. Could that trigger be pulled back a little?
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It did feal good in the hands but it was a little to much of a reach for the trigger in double action. Could that trigger be pulled back a little?

No need to ever run a standard SP-01 in double-action, unless you want to play in Production (USPSA/IPSC) or SSP (IDPA). Run in C&L.

And on that note, I'd say look into getting a 75B SA if you don't need DA/SA. Better trigger - because it is a SAO - and they are cheaper than SP-01s.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have this problem when I go to the hardware store. None of the wrenches feel "right" to me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I sold them all beacause of how they felt in my hand, not because of any problems. And yes Im haveing a terrible time finding the right gun! Went to the local gunshop today and played with a few. SP-01, P30, FNX, G19/17, and M&P 9. The SP-01 was a chunk! It did feal good in the hands but it was a little to much of a reach for the trigger in double action. Could that trigger be pulled back a little?

if i kept all of my guns that "fit" my hand properly, i woud only have a handful (pun intended) of guns.   most if not all of my CF guns dont fit (per book).  Close, but not really text book.  My thumbs are too short to reach the mag release on most guns and even my trigger finger is not as long as it should be.  The DA is a reach and if im lucky i can get my pad on it.  But i dont care and if i have to move my hand a tad to do things, so be it.  

the CZ SA recommendation is correct.  If you want SA/DA you may have to look longer.

have you tried the Beretta Vertec?  They were suppose to have a smaller circumference grip?

also, i dont shoot most of my guns DA anyway.  once you pop that mag in, its in SA mode.  If you want to carry/practice with DA mode i guess it will be an issue.

btw, with the M&P and any of the swappable grip guns, did you try using them with the smallest backstrap and side panels?

also, have you thought about a revolver?

also, also, if you find one close, you may want to think about the grip panels if it has any.  you could always replace them with thinner ones, but it would depend on how close or far you are from what you want.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a SP-01 and a SA. I Prefer the SA for carry while the SP-01 makes a great HD pistol. I love my SA!!

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm 5'6" and of small/medium build. My palms are large, but I got stuck with somewhat stubby fingers. The trigger reach on my SP01 is slightly too long for me..it's not enough to make the gun uncomfortable to use.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 5:02:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have a SP-01 and a SA. I Prefer the SA for carry while the SP-01 makes a great HD pistol. I love my SA!!

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk6/bcr308/CZ%20SP-01/P1180846.jpg

I agree. I have a SP-01 that I compete with and a SA that I carry. The long dist cover on the SP-01 adds a noticeable amount of weight to the gun. I dislike the "stock" rubber grips though and both mine have the aluminum grips from CZ Custom.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I woud say my hands are medium size and I think the SP-01 is one of the best guns I have ever owned.  The gun is big, yet the grips still feel slim.  And due to the weight of the gun, recoil is non-existent.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I just picked up a CZ 85.  Same gun as the CZ 75 but has ambidextreous safety.
Not that that was was a key selling point at the time, it was just that I wanted a CZ,
and it was available.  The price was right, I had the money and it came with a nice warranty.

The shop owner said it was the most accurate gun he ever shot and it will be a great range fun for me.
I carry a Kahr P9 daily and wanted a full size service weapon.

I did want something with a rail to mount a light for use as a home gun but he talked  me out of it.
He said I didnt want a light on my weapon as it gave the intruder a lighted target right at about dead center mass.
He told me if I carried a light, put it in my off hand and hold it high and out to the side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top